laptop lose cached domain password

Hi,

I run a domain with about 200 users. 150 of these run laptops and rarely
ever log onto the domain via the LAN but just through modem dial-up to
collect their email from our Exchange 2003 server as and when they need to.
Every 100 days they are required to change their password which they do
while colelcting their email by CTRL+ALT+DELETE and clicking the change
password option.

While not in the office they log onto their laptop with their domain user to
the domain (rather than the local laptop) using what I presume is cached
domain logon details stored on the laptop. The users run either win2k Pro
or WinXP Pro on various patches.

Every now and then a user will phone me up and say that they can not log
onto their laptop anymore. Basically it just says that their password is
incorrect. It doesn't matter whether they use old passwords or current
passwords they can not log on as the domain user. To solve it, I have to
talk them through logging on as the local adminitstrator, adding a dial-up
networking option that all users can see, getting them to log off, reset
their password on the domain, then get them to log on to their domain user
using dial-up networking and the password I've just reset it to, and then
once logged on via dial-up networking change their password. At this point
they can then reboot and log on as per normal again without having to use
dial-up networking.

Normally, it will never trouble them again - ever. Occasionally it will
happen to the same user again though. It doesn't appear to coincide with
any time frame, for example out password expirt policy or them changing
their password.

I normally get about 2 phone calls a month with this problem. It doesn't
appear to happen to everyone.

I've always had the problem even with my old NT4 domain. I was hoping that
migrating to a new Win2k3 domain would see the end of the problem, but it
hasn't :(

Any ideas what this is all about and if there is any solution to my problem?

Thanks,
Alex
1 answer Last reply
More about laptop lose cached domain password

    We setup local accounts on the user's laptops with the
    identical user ID and password (don't forget to make it a
    local admin). They then log in locally. Then when the
    users change their domain password, they go into their
    settings and change the local account password to match
    it.

    Because the account name and password match the domain,
    it will pass it through as if it were the domain
    credentials.

    Try it, it works.

    Thanks.
    Wendy

Laptops Domain Dial Up Connection Windows