Win9x Clients on 2003 AD Domain

lee

We have a number of clients that still run Windows 9x. Some we need
access to data on the hard disks for test purposes so we have shares
setup on them.

When attempting to map to a share on a windows 9x machines, i am
prompted for a username/password (of which none will work). This does
not happen for every 9x machine, only a handful. I have checked network
configuration and they are all identical. I have also tried the DS
Client but to no avail.

Has anyone else seen this problem? Does anyone have a solution to it?

Cheers
Lee

You get the IPC$ error? The shares are located
on a member server or a DC? Sounds like one of
your DCs may have a stronger authentication policy.
The LMcompatibility or restrictanonymous may be
the culprits.

How to Use the RestrictAnonymous Registry Value in Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;246261

"Lee" <no_one@here.net> wrote in message news:
> We have a number of clients that still run Windows 9x. Some we need
> access to data on the hard disks for test purposes so we have shares
> setup on them.
>
> When attempting to map to a share on a windows 9x machines, i am
> prompted for a username/password (of which none will work). This does
> not happen for every 9x machine, only a handful. I have checked
network
> configuration and they are all identical. I have also tried the DS
> Client but to no avail.
>
> Has anyone else seen this problem? Does anyone have a solution to it?

lee

Thanks for the Link, i'll take a look at it.

The shares are located on the Windows9x machines, any other machine on
the network whether it be 9x, NT4, 2000 or XP that wish to access the
share, are prompted for a username and password.