Can I test a mobo/CPU combo without the CPU heatsink/fan?

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
July 28, 2005 9:36:00 PM

I just picked up an Intel D865GLC mobo (onboard video) and a
2.4GHz/512/800 P4 (SL6WF) that I want to use to build a machine for my
kids. I have an extra ATX12V power supply and I've borrowed a 512MB
strip of PC3200 memory from my primary machine that I built last year.
I don't yet have a CPU heatsink and fan. It's all hooked up to an old
monitor and keyboard. I jumped the front panel connector pins to mimic
a power switch.

The green LED on the board lights up when I flip the switch on the
power supply, but after a couple of seconds the power supply fan shuts
down and I get nothing on the monitor (no POST, no nothing). I looked
up the tech specs at the Intel site and confirmed the jumper settings.
I thought I would be able run this setup for a minute or so to see the
POST and BIOS without a heatsink and fan. Should this work, or should
I just wait a couple of days until the heatsink and fan get here?

Thanks,

MLN
July 29, 2005 3:22:17 AM

do not start the cpu without a heatsink and fan.
chill out
<mlnnc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I just picked up an Intel D865GLC mobo (onboard video) and a
> 2.4GHz/512/800 P4 (SL6WF) that I want to use to build a machine for my
> kids. I have an extra ATX12V power supply and I've borrowed a 512MB
> strip of PC3200 memory from my primary machine that I built last year.
> I don't yet have a CPU heatsink and fan. It's all hooked up to an old
> monitor and keyboard. I jumped the front panel connector pins to mimic
> a power switch.
>
> The green LED on the board lights up when I flip the switch on the
> power supply, but after a couple of seconds the power supply fan shuts
> down and I get nothing on the monitor (no POST, no nothing). I looked
> up the tech specs at the Intel site and confirmed the jumper settings.
> I thought I would be able run this setup for a minute or so to see the
> POST and BIOS without a heatsink and fan. Should this work, or should
> I just wait a couple of days until the heatsink and fan get here?
>
> Thanks,
>
> MLN

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
July 29, 2005 3:35:35 AM

NOOooooo!
a b B Homebuilt system
July 29, 2005 8:11:45 PM

Your system of testing is going to make toast out of your CPU. WAIT for the
fan/heatsink. (No, a modern CPU cannot run for a minute without a
fan/heatsink without self-destructing.)

--
DaveW

<mlnnc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I just picked up an Intel D865GLC mobo (onboard video) and a
> 2.4GHz/512/800 P4 (SL6WF) that I want to use to build a machine for my
> kids. I have an extra ATX12V power supply and I've borrowed a 512MB
> strip of PC3200 memory from my primary machine that I built last year.
> I don't yet have a CPU heatsink and fan. It's all hooked up to an old
> monitor and keyboard. I jumped the front panel connector pins to mimic
> a power switch.
>
> The green LED on the board lights up when I flip the switch on the
> power supply, but after a couple of seconds the power supply fan shuts
> down and I get nothing on the monitor (no POST, no nothing). I looked
> up the tech specs at the Intel site and confirmed the jumper settings.
> I thought I would be able run this setup for a minute or so to see the
> POST and BIOS without a heatsink and fan. Should this work, or should
> I just wait a couple of days until the heatsink and fan get here?
>
> Thanks,
>
> MLN

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
July 29, 2005 9:45:07 PM

ToolPackinMama wrote:
> NOOooooo!

Let him, it's the only way he'll learn patience.

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
July 29, 2005 10:05:26 PM

It's shutting down because the non existant fan sensor tells it that the fan
isn't working. Could overcome that by plugging any little fan in but gees
you wouldn't want to run it long.

"ToolPackinMama" <laura@lauragoodwin.org> wrote in message
> NOOooooo!
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
July 29, 2005 10:05:27 PM

>Could overcome that by plugging any little fan in but gees you wouldn't
>want to run it long.

why not?

This is very interesting. If it runs w/o the cpu/heat fan, what difference
does it make how long it runs? The cpu fan is to cool the cpu, not the
mobo, and if there is another fan in the cpu pin header anyway what
difference does it make how long its on?

Just curious,

Mike
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
July 30, 2005 1:29:18 AM

Mike Hollywood wrote:
>>Could overcome that by plugging any little fan in but gees you wouldn't
>>want to run it long.
>>

> why not?
>
> This is very interesting. If it runs w/o the cpu/heat fan, what difference
> does it make how long it runs?

Because it'll damage both the CPU and the motherboard, genius.

> The cpu fan is to cool the cpu, not the
> mobo, and if there is another fan in the cpu pin header anyway what
> difference does it make how long its on?

Because without a heatsink on the CPU you're going to damage the CPU and
the motherboard beneath it. Go ahead and try this on your computer for
an hour. Play some games. Let us all know what happens and how long it
takes for the smoke to start. Take photos.

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
!