Add NT 4 BDC to Windows 2000 domain

Resently we were upgraded to a new server running a new
operating system (Windows Server 2000). Due to company
guidelines, the new server had to be given a new domain
name. At the moment I have 5 NT4 servers (1 pdc, 4 BDCs)
on 1 domain, and the new server (2000) sitting on its on
domain, with Trusts linking the two together
Since the upgrade, users have complained that one of the
apps (a sql based database util) sitting on one of the NT
servers (a BDC) is running slow. The apps manufactures
says that the best way to speed it is to move the NT4 BDC
over the Windows 200 Domain.

I've deleted trust and tried changing the Domain name on
the NT4, but it refused to become apart of the new domain).
There is a referance of the NT server under the Domain
Controllers section in Active Directory that I cannot
delete ("The DAS object cannot be deleted").

Can some explain to me (as simle as possable please :) )
how I can move and NT4 BDC from an NT domain to a Windows
2000 one.

Many Thanks for your time in advance

Gerald Oakham

If I'm not mistaken it has to be installed in the Win 2k domain as a BDC.

I don't think you can "move" it without a third party application.

Maybe Upromote?

hth
DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

"Gerald Oakham" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Resently we were upgraded to a new server running a new
> operating system (Windows Server 2000). Due to company
> guidelines, the new server had to be given a new domain
> name. At the moment I have 5 NT4 servers (1 pdc, 4 BDCs)
> on 1 domain, and the new server (2000) sitting on its on
> domain, with Trusts linking the two together
> Since the upgrade, users have complained that one of the
> apps (a sql based database util) sitting on one of the NT
> servers (a BDC) is running slow. The apps manufactures
> says that the best way to speed it is to move the NT4 BDC
> over the Windows 200 Domain.
>
> I've deleted trust and tried changing the Domain name on
> the NT4, but it refused to become apart of the new domain).
> There is a referance of the NT server under the Domain
> Controllers section in Active Directory that I cannot
> delete ("The DAS object cannot be deleted").
>
> Can some explain to me (as simle as possable please :) )
> how I can move and NT4 BDC from an NT domain to a Windows
> 2000 one.
>
> Many Thanks for your time in advance
>
> Gerald Oakham

How To Create a Computer Object in the Active Directory for a Windows NT 4.0
BDC

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;221826&Product=win2000

"Gerald Oakham" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Resently we were upgraded to a new server running a new
> operating system (Windows Server 2000). Due to company
> guidelines, the new server had to be given a new domain
> name. At the moment I have 5 NT4 servers (1 pdc, 4 BDCs)
> on 1 domain, and the new server (2000) sitting on its on
> domain, with Trusts linking the two together
> Since the upgrade, users have complained that one of the
> apps (a sql based database util) sitting on one of the NT
> servers (a BDC) is running slow. The apps manufactures
> says that the best way to speed it is to move the NT4 BDC
> over the Windows 200 Domain.
>
> I've deleted trust and tried changing the Domain name on
> the NT4, but it refused to become apart of the new domain).
> There is a referance of the NT server under the Domain
> Controllers section in Active Directory that I cannot
> delete ("The DAS object cannot be deleted").
>
> Can some explain to me (as simle as possable please :) )
> how I can move and NT4 BDC from an NT domain to a Windows
> 2000 one.
>
> Many Thanks for your time in advance
>
> Gerald Oakham

You have to first create the computer account for
the BDC using the W2k version of Server Manager
on the W2k DC.