4 pin USB socket to 9 pin on Motherboard

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
July 30, 2005 8:45:22 AM

I am building my first pc,I want to install a 7 in 1 memory card reader
with floppy drive, but I have no onboard 4 pin usb hub for it. Can I
use one of the MANY 9 pin internal usb ports by lining up the volt,
ground , pos. etc. pins on the 4 pin with the correct pins on half of
one the larger usb 9 pin plugs? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
What`s the "extra" pin on the motherboard for? Thanks-
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
July 30, 2005 7:34:21 PM

<david.booth@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
>I am building my first pc,I want to install a 7 in 1 memory card reader
> with floppy drive, but I have no onboard 4 pin usb hub for it. Can I
> use one of the MANY 9 pin internal usb ports by lining up the volt,
> ground , pos. etc. pins on the 4 pin with the correct pins on half of
> one the larger usb 9 pin plugs? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
> What`s the "extra" pin on the motherboard for? Thanks-

Check your email DB, I`ve sent you the pinout. best wishes..OJ
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
July 30, 2005 7:38:06 PM

david.booth@dsl.pipex.com wrote:
> I am building my first pc,I want to install a 7 in 1 memory card reader
> with floppy drive, but I have no onboard 4 pin usb hub for it. Can I
> use one of the MANY 9 pin internal usb ports by lining up the volt,
> ground , pos. etc. pins on the 4 pin with the correct pins on half of
> one the larger usb 9 pin plugs? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
> What`s the "extra" pin on the motherboard for? Thanks-

Most of those internal readers come with the 0.1" space connectors to
attach to the header on the motherboard. I.e., see
"http://www.computergate.com/products/item.cfm?prodcd=IF..." (beige)
and
"http://www.computergate.com/products/item.cfm?prodcd=IF..." (black,
despite the picture)

The ninth pin is a no-connect. It's there, along with the removed pin
across from it, to key connectors that are supplied with the motherboard
for a PCI card edge bracket with USB connectors on it.

But sure, you could cut off the USB connector and solder up a cable to
connect to the motherboard header.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
July 30, 2005 8:10:48 PM

SMS wrote:
> david.booth@dsl.pipex.com wrote:
>
>> I am building my first pc,I want to install a 7 in 1 memory card reader
>> with floppy drive, but I have no onboard 4 pin usb hub for it. Can I
>> use one of the MANY 9 pin internal usb ports by lining up the volt,
>> ground , pos. etc. pins on the 4 pin with the correct pins on half of
>> one the larger usb 9 pin plugs? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>> What`s the "extra" pin on the motherboard for? Thanks-
>

> Most of those internal readers come with the 0.1" space connectors to
> attach to the header on the motherboard. I.e., see
> "http://www.computergate.com/products/item.cfm?prodcd=IF..." (beige)
> and
> "http://www.computergate.com/products/item.cfm?prodcd=IF..." (black,
> despite the picture)
>
> The ninth pin is a no-connect. It's there, along with the removed pin
> across from it, to key connectors that are supplied with the motherboard
> for a PCI card edge bracket with USB connectors on it.

Also, beware that different motherboards use different pinouts for the
ten pin header (with one pin removed). The internal card reader I
bought, came with a sheet of paper that detailed the different pinouts
on different brands of motherboards, and the connectors were set up so
you could use it on any motherboard (it was not a single four pin
connector, it was one 3 pin and one 1 pin which you could connect in
ways to accomodate any motherboard). Check your motherboard manual for
the pinout.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
July 30, 2005 8:52:09 PM

SMS wrote:

> Also, beware that different motherboards use different
> pinouts for the ten pin header (with one pin removed).

In my case, connecting the 5-pin socket to that pin caused my USB
bracket to get really hot because the last pin wasn't a ground as
expected but was the current sense pin. IOW it was connected directly
to +5V, and until I removed the wire going to it, I had a short between
+5V and ground. :(
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
July 31, 2005 9:17:11 AM

larry moe 'n curly wrote:
> SMS wrote:
>

>>Also, beware that different motherboards use different
>>pinouts for the ten pin header (with one pin removed).
>

> In my case, connecting the 5-pin socket to that pin caused my USB
> bracket to get really hot because the last pin wasn't a ground as
> expected but was the current sense pin. IOW it was connected directly
> to +5V, and until I removed the wire going to it, I had a short between
> +5V and ground. :(

On my Antec case, the cables from the front USB and Firewire ports were
designed so you could use them on any motherboard, but IIRC, the cables
from the card reader were 5 pin, and you had to swap pins in the housing
(which is not too hard) in order to make it usable on the less common
pinouts. It fit my Asus board without modification.
June 1, 2009 5:50:25 PM

Quote:

larry moe 'n curly wrote:
> SMS wrote:
>

>>Also, beware that different motherboards use different
>>pinouts for the ten pin header (with one pin removed).
>

> In my case, connecting the 5-pin socket to that pin caused my USB
> bracket to get really hot because the last pin wasn't a ground as
> expected but was the current sense pin. IOW it was connected directly
> to +5V, and until I removed the wire going to it, I had a short between
> +5V and ground. :(

On my Antec case, the cables from the front USB and Firewire ports were
designed so you could use them on any motherboard, but IIRC, the cables
from the card reader were 5 pin, and you had to swap pins in the housing
(which is not too hard) in order to make it usable on the less common
pinouts. It fit my Asus board without modification.

This is excellent info; I'm working on the same, also with an ASUS board and Dynex all in one card reader. So in theory, if my pinout on the card reader is voltage on the first pin, then - then + on the next two, and ground on the fourth (nothing is on the fifth), I should be able to plug it directly into the 5-pin side of the 9-pin socket having pinout of 5v, -5, +5, GRD,GRD and be fine? I'm running 64-bit Windows Vista and it seems that the socket works as far as recognizing the reader slots, but doesn't recognize the media cards. Any thoughts? I checked for updated drivers but it says I have the latest...

October 5, 2009 1:43:02 PM

I am building my first pc,I want to install a the built in cases 5 pin usb usbs. how can I
use one of my usb motherboard 9 pin usb ports
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

to sum up my usb is 5pin and the conaction on my motherboard is 9pin
kenmalcolmson@gmail.com

thanks ken
!