Cannot delete computer account with Server Manager

Hi,

I have a computer account which Server Manager reports
as "network path not found" when I try to delete it.
This account is corrupt or something because it contains
garbage characters. Netdom can't even recognise it.

I ran thru http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?
scid=kb;en-us;197478 to see what it made of the situation
but it doesn't even classify it as a computer account. I
mean, it'll count it as \\Þ¶ in the ms.txt output, but the
resulting output.txt is 1 account short on the total.

How can I manually remove this?
I'm cleaning up to test migrate to 2k3.

thanks
7 answers Last reply
More about cannot delete computer account server manager

    In server manager click on view and put a check
    mark next to "show domain members only". If
    the computer account is in the SAM you will see
    it in the list and should be able to delete it.

    "Aaron Benson" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    Hi,

    I have a computer account which Server Manager reports
    as "network path not found" when I try to delete it.
    This account is corrupt or something because it contains
    garbage characters. Netdom can't even recognise it.

    I ran thru http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?
    scid=kb;en-us;197478 to see what it made of the situation
    but it doesn't even classify it as a computer account. I
    mean, it'll count it as \\Þ¶ in the ms.txt output, but the
    resulting output.txt is 1 account short on the total.

    How can I manually remove this?
    I'm cleaning up to test migrate to 2k3.

    thanks

    When I press delete it says, "Network Path Not Found".
    Doesn't matter whether I choose show domain members only
    or not.

    wrote in message
    >Hi,
    >
    >I have a computer account which Server Manager reports
    >as "network path not found" when I try to delete it.
    >This account is corrupt or something because it contains
    >garbage characters. Netdom can't even recognise it.
    >
    >I ran thru http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?
    >scid=kb;en-us;197478 to see what it made of the situation
    >but it doesn't even classify it as a computer account. I
    >mean, it'll count it as \\Þ¶ in the ms.txt output, but the
    >resulting output.txt is 1 account short on the total.
    >
    >How can I manually remove this?
    >I'm cleaning up to test migrate to 2k3.
    >
    >thanks
    >

    >.

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    You are running server manager on the PDC itself
    or remotely from another machine?

    wrote in message
    >Hi,
    >
    >I have a computer account which Server Manager reports
    >as "network path not found" when I try to delete it.
    >This account is corrupt or something because it contains
    >garbage characters. Netdom can't even recognise it.
    >
    >I ran thru http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?
    >scid=kb;en-us;197478 to see what it made of the situation
    >but it doesn't even classify it as a computer account. I
    >mean, it'll count it as \\Þ¶ in the ms.txt output, but the
    >resulting output.txt is 1 account short on the total.
    >
    >How can I manually remove this?
    >I'm cleaning up to test migrate to 2k3.
    >
    >thanks
    >

    >.

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    Either the PDC or a BDC doesn't matter, same error.

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    You are able to make other changes e.g., reset passwords
    and create new users?

    <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
    Either the PDC or a BDC doesn't matter, same error.
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    Yes, the domain is functioning fine. Users can be
    added,deleted. Groups can be added,deleted. Computers can
    join,disjoin (and be deleted from Server Manager, except
    this one) the domain.

    >Either the PDC or a BDC doesn't matter, same error.
    >

    >.

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    In server manager click on view and enable
    "show domain members only". Do you see
    the computer account? If not then open the
    WINS database and sort by name and delete
    all instances of this computer name then wait
    at least 51 minutes for a full browse cycle for
    the name to disappear from the browse list.

    <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
    > Yes, the domain is functioning fine. Users can be
    > added,deleted. Groups can be added,deleted. Computers can
    > join,disjoin (and be deleted from Server Manager, except
    > this one) the domain.

Computers Servers Windows