Cannot delete computer account with Server Manager

Hi,

I have a computer account which Server Manager reports
as "network path not found" when I try to delete it.
This account is corrupt or something because it contains
garbage characters. Netdom can't even recognise it.

I ran thru http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?
scid=kb;en-us;197478 to see what it made of the situation
but it doesn't even classify it as a computer account. I
mean, it'll count it as \\Þ¶ in the ms.txt output, but the
resulting output.txt is 1 account short on the total.

How can I manually remove this?
I'm cleaning up to test migrate to 2k3.

thanks

In server manager click on view and put a check
mark next to "show domain members only". If
the computer account is in the SAM you will see
it in the list and should be able to delete it.

"Aaron Benson" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
Hi,

I have a computer account which Server Manager reports
as "network path not found" when I try to delete it.
This account is corrupt or something because it contains
garbage characters. Netdom can't even recognise it.

I ran thru http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?
scid=kb;en-us;197478 to see what it made of the situation
but it doesn't even classify it as a computer account. I
mean, it'll count it as \\Þ¶ in the ms.txt output, but the
resulting output.txt is 1 account short on the total.

How can I manually remove this?
I'm cleaning up to test migrate to 2k3.

thanks

When I press delete it says, "Network Path Not Found".
Doesn't matter whether I choose show domain members only
or not.

wrote in message
>Hi,
>
>I have a computer account which Server Manager reports
>as "network path not found" when I try to delete it.
>This account is corrupt or something because it contains
>garbage characters. Netdom can't even recognise it.
>
>I ran thru http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?
>scid=kb;en-us;197478 to see what it made of the situation
>but it doesn't even classify it as a computer account. I
>mean, it'll count it as \\Þ¶ in the ms.txt output, but the
>resulting output.txt is 1 account short on the total.
>
>How can I manually remove this?
>I'm cleaning up to test migrate to 2k3.
>
>thanks
>

>.

You are running server manager on the PDC itself
or remotely from another machine?

wrote in message
>Hi,
>
>I have a computer account which Server Manager reports
>as "network path not found" when I try to delete it.
>This account is corrupt or something because it contains
>garbage characters. Netdom can't even recognise it.
>
>I ran thru http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?
>scid=kb;en-us;197478 to see what it made of the situation
>but it doesn't even classify it as a computer account. I
>mean, it'll count it as \\Þ¶ in the ms.txt output, but the
>resulting output.txt is 1 account short on the total.
>
>How can I manually remove this?
>I'm cleaning up to test migrate to 2k3.
>
>thanks
>

>.

Either the PDC or a BDC doesn't matter, same error.

You are able to make other changes e.g., reset passwords
and create new users?

<anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
Either the PDC or a BDC doesn't matter, same error.

Yes, the domain is functioning fine. Users can be
added,deleted. Groups can be added,deleted. Computers can
join,disjoin (and be deleted from Server Manager, except
this one) the domain.

>Either the PDC or a BDC doesn't matter, same error.
>

>.

In server manager click on view and enable
"show domain members only". Do you see
the computer account? If not then open the
WINS database and sort by name and delete
all instances of this computer name then wait
at least 51 minutes for a full browse cycle for
the name to disappear from the browse list.