User profiles

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
October 2, 2004 3:14:17 AM

Hi,
My customer would like to swich his group of computers to another NT server
on
Y domain.
Now the group of the computers is working on profiles stored on a NT server
at X domain. Most of them are WinNT workstations. So when i.e. Jonh log in
to the second machine he would get the same desktop and enviroment as on his
own computer.

I would like to learn how can I move all of the user from one NT server to
another without loosing their profiles (settings, icons, etc.).
The best solution would be to copy the profiles to their local machines
because users are not changing their computers and they don't really need
such a functionality any more.

So the question is: how to store the remote NT profile (which is on the
server) back to local computer for a specyfic user login?

I would be very gratefull for any tips
With best regards
Michal Z.

More about : user profiles

Anonymous
October 7, 2004 3:17:34 PM

Easy to do with NT. On the Server where the Profiles are go to the System
Properties in the Control Panel and click on the User Profiles Tab. Then you
can select the different Profiles , where to copy them to and who to give
permission to. Just setup a share on the target machine that you can access
from the current Server.
Now the Target location can be the %system%\Prolifes directory of each users
NT WS. Or You could setup a User Profile directory on your New Sever, then
in User Manager set the Profile path for each User to the Directory on the
New server. This way users will get the same desktop regardless of which WS
they use and you can backup All Profiles in one step. The down side is that
the profiles are copied to and from the Server with each logon & log off,
creating a load on the server and the network.
I suggest you test it each way and see which works best for your network.
Good Luck.
--
Yor Suiris
Remove the kNOT to reply.