Need help with something I am working on right now..please?

Last response: in Systems
Share
July 31, 2005 9:39:30 AM

I am building a computer right now that I am taking to my nephew tomorow in
Tennessee (At least I will be if I can get it cranking). Here are the stats.

Computer I bought is a bare bones Tiger Direct kit.
Just4PC ATX Mid Tower Case w/425 Watt Power Supply
Motherboard is a Mach Speed Pm9Ms with built in Audio, Video, Nic Card,
I added a 56K Modem, this is the only peripheral I added.
The processor is a Celeron D340 2.93 Ghz, 256K Cache, Socket 478
The Ram is 512MB of Ultra DDR (400Mhz) PC3200
I have one older CD-RW and two smaller HDD's, one is 6 GB and one is 4 GB.
The 4 is slaved to the 6 through a new cable to IDE 1. The CD-RW is run with
a new cable to IDE 2.
The 6 GB HD has the Win ME OS and the 4 GB has either WIN 98 or 2000, I cant
recall which one was on there last time I used it. I planned on formatting
both and running XP Home Ed.
The Keyboard and Mouse are Wal-Mart generic.

Problem:
I am actually having 2 problems
The first one is that the motherboard schematics do not match what is coming
from the case. Where it shows 5 prongs for the Power LED Connector (3
prongs) and the Power Switch (2 Prongs) there is only a total of 4 prongs.
No ground for the Power switch. Where it shows 4 prongs for the Hard Disc
LED (2 prongs) and the reset switch (2 prongs) there are actually 5 prongs.
Now you might think I have them turned around backwards but I do not, they
are clearly marked and I went over them 20 times. I have tried a couple of
different configurations. Leaving off the Power LED connector and plugging
the power switch into the nearest 2 (next to where the ground would normally
be). When I do that, I can turn on the Master Power (on back of the
computer) hit the Power Button and it starts powering up. However, there is
then a short grinding from the Hard Drives and then everything stops with
the fan left blowing. If I press the Power button again the computer will
not turn off, it stays powered on (At least the fan continues to turn).

All jumpers are set correctly. All other connectors are in their correct
positions. The RAM is in 0/1, the processor was placed correctly matching
pin one to the MB. I have built 100 computers but I am at a loss with this
one.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks

More about : working

July 31, 2005 9:39:31 AM

By now, that 4 gig drive must be worn out. I would not touch anything
under 80 gig.

johns
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
July 31, 2005 8:14:35 PM

You'll never be able to boot the computer up with it having all those OS's
already loaded on the old harddrives. When you want to boot up, boot up
ONLY from the XP installation CD-ROM directly and then follow the directions
to reformat and partition your multiple harddrives.

--
DaveW