Profiles are being created in C:Documents and Settings on ..

Really strange one.

The company that I work for has the following configuration:

Win2k AD, one ( I know that's not good, only temp) domain controller (sp4
fully patched) also acting as file server.

All users are logging into Win2k Native mode AD. They do not have physical
access to the server. However partial profiles in C:\Documents and Settings
are being created for about 6 of our 100 logon accounts. Application data,
Local settings, and Temp are the folders that get created.

I cannot work out how they got there. Is anyone aware of any automated
system process that could have created these. Help!!
6 answers Last reply
More about profiles created documents settings

    You mean profiles are being created on DC not
    the users workstation? Is it possible those 6 users
    have roaming profiles?
    "Paul Bennett" <Paul Bennett@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Really strange one.
    >
    > The company that I work for has the following configuration:
    >
    > Win2k AD, one ( I know that's not good, only temp) domain controller
    (sp4
    > fully patched) also acting as file server.
    >
    > All users are logging into Win2k Native mode AD. They do not have
    physical
    > access to the server. However partial profiles in C:\Documents and
    Settings
    > are being created for about 6 of our 100 logon accounts. Application
    data,
    > Local settings, and Temp are the folders that get created.
    >

    > I cannot work out how they got there. Is anyone aware of any
    automated
    > system process that could have created these. Help!!

    Thanks for the reply.

    Profiles are being created on the DC in C:\Documents and Settings and on the
    local workstation.

    5 of the 6 used to have roaming profiles (the profile creation date for
    these users was when they had roaming profiles configured). And when I view
    these through System properties they show as roaming, however one of the
    users has never had a roaming profile and shows as local in system properties?

    "Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" wrote:

    > You mean profiles are being created on DC not
    > the users workstation? Is it possible those 6 users
    > have roaming profiles?
    > "Paul Bennett" <Paul Bennett@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Really strange one.
    > >
    > > The company that I work for has the following configuration:
    > >
    > > Win2k AD, one ( I know that's not good, only temp) domain controller
    > (sp4
    > > fully patched) also acting as file server.
    > >
    > > All users are logging into Win2k Native mode AD. They do not have
    > physical
    > > access to the server. However partial profiles in C:\Documents and
    > Settings
    > > are being created for about 6 of our 100 logon accounts. Application
    > data,
    > > Local settings, and Temp are the folders that get created.
    > >

    > > I cannot work out how they got there. Is anyone aware of any
    > automated
    > > system process that could have created these. Help!!

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    You do not have terminal services running or
    have allowed TS sessions?
    "Paul Bennett" <PaulBennett@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks for the reply.
    >
    > Profiles are being created on the DC in C:\Documents and Settings and
    on the
    > local workstation.
    >

    > 5 of the 6 used to have roaming profiles (the profile creation date
    for
    > these users was when they had roaming profiles configured). And when I
    view
    > these through System properties they show as roaming, however one of
    the
    > users has never had a roaming profile and shows as local in system
    properties?
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    TS has not been installed.

    "Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" wrote:

    > You do not have terminal services running or
    > have allowed TS sessions?
    > "Paul Bennett" <PaulBennett@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks for the reply.
    > >
    > > Profiles are being created on the DC in C:\Documents and Settings and
    > on the
    > > local workstation.
    > >

    > > 5 of the 6 used to have roaming profiles (the profile creation date
    > for
    > > these users was when they had roaming profiles configured). And when I
    > view
    > > these through System properties they show as roaming, however one of
    > the
    > > users has never had a roaming profile and shows as local in system
    > properties?

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    I would go into the system properties on the server
    in question and click on the user profiles tab then
    check and see when the profiles were last modified.
    The only way a local account could make it into that
    directory is via local logon.

    "Paul Bennett" <PaulBennett@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > TS has not been installed.

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    I deleted all the profiles (aprt from administrator) through the system
    properties.

    I've now noticed when that a new profile has been created in C:\Documents
    and Settings call SERVERNAME$. Also in the System properties a new profile
    can be seen called "NT Authority\System". Any ideas what created it or why
    this got created?

    "Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" wrote:

    > I would go into the system properties on the server
    > in question and click on the user profiles tab then
    > check and see when the profiles were last modified.
    > The only way a local account could make it into that
    > directory is via local logon.
    >
    > "Paul Bennett" <PaulBennett@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > TS has not been installed.

Domain Controller Windows