is it ok to fomat new compaq turion laptop?

I bought a new laptop, but it's loaded with stuff I don't want, trial
versions of this that and the other, etc.
I was going to just reformat and go from there, but
reading the lit that came with it, it said to never put an operating system
on it
except for the one on the restore CD because if you do, things won't work
right.

Is there any truth to that? It's a Compaq V2000, AMD Turion 64

Has anybody loaded a normal OS on one with success?

thanks,

alex
21 answers Last reply
More about fomat compaq turion laptop

    I have done this many times on older Compaq's. however as spodo said, and
    the introduction of GPS, your going to have problems getting the stuff you
    forked out the dough for, to work. Maybe after a year or so someone will
    have posted the drivers or have a procedure to get it done. Laptop theft is
    really high, and the more they try and address this, the more proprietary
    junk is going to get installed and manufacturers want to make it as useless
    to a thief as possible.

    "~1Alex~" <bogus@nowhere.net> wrote in message
    > I bought a new laptop, but it's loaded with stuff I don't want, trial
    > versions of this that and the other, etc.
    > I was going to just reformat and go from there, but
    > reading the lit that came with it, it said to never put an operating
    system
    > on it
    > except for the one on the restore CD because if you do, things won't work
    > right.
    >
    > Is there any truth to that? It's a Compaq V2000, AMD Turion 64
    >
    > Has anybody loaded a normal OS on one with success?
    >
    > thanks,
    >
    > alex

    if you wanted to change a laptops OS you should have bought an IBM or Dell
    "~1Alex~" <bogus@nowhere.net> wrote in message
    >I bought a new laptop, but it's loaded with stuff I don't want, trial
    >versions of this that and the other, etc.
    > I was going to just reformat and go from there, but
    > reading the lit that came with it, it said to never put an operating
    > system on it
    > except for the one on the restore CD because if you do, things won't work
    > right.
    >
    > Is there any truth to that? It's a Compaq V2000, AMD Turion 64
    >
    > Has anybody loaded a normal OS on one with success?
    >
    > thanks,
    >
    > alex

    "~1Alex~" <bogus@nowhere.net> wrote in message
    >I bought a new laptop, but it's loaded with stuff I don't want, trial
    >versions of this that and the other, etc.
    > I was going to just reformat and go from there, but
    > reading the lit that came with it, it said to never put an operating
    > system on it
    > except for the one on the restore CD because if you do, things won't work
    > right.
    >
    > Is there any truth to that? It's a Compaq V2000, AMD Turion 64
    >
    > Has anybody loaded a normal OS on one with success?
    >
    > thanks,
    >
    > alex

    There may be driver issues

    "~1Alex~" <bogus@nowhere.net> wrote in message
    >I bought a new laptop, but it's loaded with stuff I don't want, trial
    >versions of this that and the other, etc.
    > I was going to just reformat and go from there, but
    > reading the lit that came with it, it said to never put an operating
    > system on it
    > except for the one on the restore CD because if you do, things won't work
    > right.
    >
    > Is there any truth to that? It's a Compaq V2000, AMD Turion 64
    >
    > Has anybody loaded a normal OS on one with success?

    You might see if HP's support site has specific directions on either how to
    install NOT from the recovery CD or an inventory of drivers needed.
    I've never had a Compaq or HP notebook, but for the IBM ones I've had I've
    always found the inventory of proprietary/unique drives at IBM's support
    site.

    ~1Alex~ wrote:
    > I bought a new laptop, but it's loaded with stuff I don't want, trial
    > versions of this that and the other, etc.
    > I was going to just reformat and go from there, but
    > reading the lit that came with it, it said to never put an operating system
    > on it
    > except for the one on the restore CD because if you do, things won't work
    > right.
    >
    > Is there any truth to that? It's a Compaq V2000, AMD Turion 64
    >
    > Has anybody loaded a normal OS on one with success?
    >
    > thanks,
    >
    > alex

    The restore disks may have certain proprietary drivers from Compaq. Why
    not just uninstall the programs you don't want? I do understand about
    your desire to start with a 'clean slate' though.

    Ari

    http://www.abmdr.org.au/
    http://www.marrow.org/

    "spodosaurus" <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote in message
    > ~1Alex~ wrote:
    >> I bought a new laptop, but it's loaded with stuff I don't want, trial
    >> versions of this that and the other, etc.
    >> I was going to just reformat and go from there, but
    >> reading the lit that came with it, it said to never put an operating
    >> system on it
    >> except for the one on the restore CD because if you do, things won't work
    >> right.
    >>
    >> Is there any truth to that? It's a Compaq V2000, AMD Turion 64
    >>
    >> Has anybody loaded a normal OS on one with success?
    >>
    >> thanks,
    >>
    >> alex
    >
    > The restore disks may have certain proprietary drivers from Compaq. Why
    > not just uninstall the programs you don't want? I do understand about your
    > desire to start with a 'clean slate' though.

    Although, s/he may want to put 64bit windows on it.

    MC

    ModeratelyConfused wrote:
    > "spodosaurus" <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>~1Alex~ wrote:
    >>
    >>>I bought a new laptop, but it's loaded with stuff I don't want, trial
    >>>versions of this that and the other, etc.
    >>>I was going to just reformat and go from there, but
    >>>reading the lit that came with it, it said to never put an operating
    >>>system on it
    >>>except for the one on the restore CD because if you do, things won't work
    >>>right.
    >>>
    >>>Is there any truth to that? It's a Compaq V2000, AMD Turion 64
    >>>
    >>>Has anybody loaded a normal OS on one with success?
    >>>
    >>>thanks,
    >>>
    >>>alex
    >>
    >>The restore disks may have certain proprietary drivers from Compaq. Why
    >>not just uninstall the programs you don't want? I do understand about your
    >>desire to start with a 'clean slate' though.
    >

    > Although, s/he may want to put 64bit windows on it.
    >
    > MC

    If there's proprietary Compaq hardware in that laptop, they may not have
    released drivers for it for download at all, much less for the 64 bit
    windows (will new drivers be needed or will there be a driver
    'compatibility mode' sort of deal?)

    http://www.abmdr.org.au/
    http://www.marrow.org/

    spodosaurus <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote:

    > If there's proprietary Compaq hardware in that laptop, they may
    > not have released drivers for it for download at all,

    Really? Not on a driver/restore/recovery disk either?

    spodosaurus wrote in message <42ece88e$1@quokka.wn.com.au>...
    >ModeratelyConfused wrote:
    >> "spodosaurus" <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote in message

    Why not call Compaq and ask them why they got paid for a computer that
    microslut owns? Ask them if there is any reason you could not replace their
    OS with GNU/Linux?
    Even if you don't want to install GNU/Linux, the answer to that question
    should give a clue about 'proprietary drivers from Compaq'.

    Sorry spodosaurus, I didn't have the OPs OP. Thanks for the use of your
    post.
    --
    Bob R
    POVrookie

    John Doe wrote:
    > spodosaurus <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote:

    >>If there's proprietary Compaq hardware in that laptop, they may
    >>not have released drivers for it for download at all,
    >

    > Really? Not on a driver/restore/recovery disk either?

    Assuming the OP is able to dig them off the disk images on the recovery
    disk. Are you going to talk him through that?

    > much less for the 64 bit
    >
    >>windows (will new drivers be needed or will there be a driver
    >>'compatibility mode' sort of deal?)

    http://www.abmdr.org.au/
    http://www.marrow.org/

    "~1Alex~" <bogus@nowhere.net> wrote in message

    > I bought a new laptop, but it's loaded with stuff I don't want, trial
    > versions of this that and the other, etc.
    > I was going to just reformat and go from there, but
    > reading the lit that came with it, it said to never put an operating
    > system on it
    > except for the one on the restore CD because if you do, things won't work
    > right.
    >
    > Is there any truth to that? It's a Compaq V2000, AMD Turion 64
    >
    > Has anybody loaded a normal OS on one with success?
    >
    > thanks,
    >
    > alex

    I remember buying a comcrap laptop a few years ago, and at that time all the
    system recovery disk did was point to a hidden partition on the hard drive
    from which to copy everything from. Unfortunately I was not aware of this
    when i Fdisked/formated away an overburdened winME installation (why oh why
    oh why must computer manufactures insist on installing loads of software
    that the buyer didnt' order?). Had to pay fifteen bux and wait a week to
    get fully functional Restoration CDs... which conviniently enough were not
    in a format to include windows install CD's. Fortunately that computer took
    a big dump shortly afterwards and i was able to return it to bestbuy and
    exchange for an HP that had everything i needed on its "recovery cd's",
    except for the OS, which i had an install CD for from another computer, just
    put the HP;s cd key in during installation. Another thing i liked about HP
    was the website had ALL the drivers needed, even when XP became available
    they had the new drivers for it. I can STILL go on there and get drivers
    for my laptop five years later! After going to the HP I can never go back
    go compaq, they left a bad taste in my mouth, and now that HP owns compaq,
    dont know if I'm going to be willing to get an HP either. Next time I guess
    It'll be Dell or IBM.

    First thing i'd check would be the comcrap website, see if it has all the
    drivers you need, and i'd be surprised. Then i'd load the "recovery CD's"
    and see if the drivers are on the disks in an format that you can redilly
    use (doubtful). It's rare that a you can't install a different/clean OS on
    any system, however the companies may be to cheap to offer adequate driver
    support, in which case you really have to hunt for drivers to get full
    function out of the system. Almost be nice if we could go back to the day
    of installing our OWN OS on a computer we buy, and those without the skills
    can pay extra to have it put on for them at the factory. Don't think ANYONE
    offers an option to buy the computer without an OS anymore. Which is why i
    homebuild desktops, and dread the day my HP laptop finally dies, cus they
    arent' exactly a practical project for a homebuilder.

    "fj" <jelenko@att.net> wrote:
    > "~1Alex~" <bogus@nowhere.net> wrote in message

    >>I bought a new laptop, but it's loaded with stuff I don't want,
    >>trial versions of this that and the other, etc.
    >> I was going to just reformat and go from there, but
    >> reading the lit that came with it, it said to never put an
    >> operating system on it
    >> except for the one on the restore CD because if you do, things
    >> won't work right.

    I would like to read the exact wording of that.

    >> Has anybody loaded a normal OS on one with success?

    > You might see if HP's support site has specific directions on
    > either how to install NOT from the recovery CD or an inventory
    > of drivers needed. I've never had a Compaq or HP notebook, but
    > for the IBM ones I've had I've always found the inventory of
    > proprietary/unique drives at IBM's support site.

    One would think so. Dell even includes its desktop PC hardware
    drivers online.

    They might be on one of the included CDs.

    Being a laptop, I guess they are proprietary drivers, but that
    doesn't mean you won't find them on Compaq's web site.

    There was a time when Compaq might have been a renegade PC maker,
    but I think that has changed.

    Another possibility is an installation that does not include all
    of the "trial versions".

    If all else fails, maybe do a fresh install and use some program
    to remove any unwanted software.

    "BobR" <RemoveBadBobR@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

    > Ask them if there is any reason you could not replace their
    > OS with GNU/Linux?

    When ever, if ever somebody follows advice like that, Microsoft
    racks up gobs of public relations points resulting from the
    extreme user frustration.

    Microsoft appreciates your help.

    > Even if you don't want to install GNU/Linux, the answer to that
    > question should give a clue about 'proprietary drivers from
    > Compaq'.

    Good luck finding Linux drivers for hundreds of common Windows PC
    peripherals.

    "Somewhere, over the rainbow... la la la"

    > To the U.S. Senate: Let's go ahead with that monopoly lawsuit
    > against the microgiant!!

    In the current political climate, not a chance.

    "nooneimportant" <no.spam@me> wrote in message

    > "~1Alex~" <bogus@nowhere.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > I bought a new laptop, but it's loaded with stuff I don't want, trial
    > > versions of this that and the other, etc.
    > > I was going to just reformat and go from there, but
    > > reading the lit that came with it, it said to never put an operating
    > > system on it
    > > except for the one on the restore CD because if you do, things won't
    work
    > > right.
    > >
    > > Is there any truth to that? It's a Compaq V2000, AMD Turion 64
    > >
    > > Has anybody loaded a normal OS on one with success?
    > >
    > > thanks,
    > >
    > > alex
    >
    > I remember buying a comcrap laptop a few years ago, and at that time all
    the
    > system recovery disk did was point to a hidden partition on the hard drive
    > from which to copy everything from. Unfortunately I was not aware of this
    > when i Fdisked/formated away an overburdened winME installation (why oh
    why
    > oh why must computer manufactures insist on installing loads of software
    > that the buyer didnt' order?). Had to pay fifteen bux and wait a week to
    > get fully functional Restoration CDs... which conviniently enough were not
    > in a format to include windows install CD's. Fortunately that computer
    took
    > a big dump shortly afterwards and i was able to return it to bestbuy and
    > exchange for an HP that had everything i needed on its "recovery cd's",
    > except for the OS, which i had an install CD for from another computer,
    just
    > put the HP;s cd key in during installation. Another thing i liked about
    HP
    > was the website had ALL the drivers needed, even when XP became available
    > they had the new drivers for it. I can STILL go on there and get drivers
    > for my laptop five years later! After going to the HP I can never go back
    > go compaq, they left a bad taste in my mouth, and now that HP owns compaq,
    > dont know if I'm going to be willing to get an HP either. Next time I
    guess
    > It'll be Dell or IBM.
    >
    > First thing i'd check would be the comcrap website, see if it has all the
    > drivers you need, and i'd be surprised. Then i'd load the "recovery CD's"
    > and see if the drivers are on the disks in an format that you can redilly
    > use (doubtful). It's rare that a you can't install a different/clean OS
    on
    > any system, however the companies may be to cheap to offer adequate driver
    > support, in which case you really have to hunt for drivers to get full
    > function out of the system. Almost be nice if we could go back to the day
    > of installing our OWN OS on a computer we buy, and those without the
    skills

    that will happen...and it will be on an EPROM / BIOS similar chip that you
    will plug in

    > can pay extra to have it put on for them at the factory. Don't think
    ANYONE
    > offers an option to buy the computer without an OS anymore. Which is why
    > homebuild desktops, and dread the day my HP laptop finally dies, cus they
    > arent' exactly a practical project for a homebuilder.

  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    In article <w7udnbfkfO5fTnHfRVn-vg@comcast.com>, ~1Alex~ says...
    > I bought a new laptop, but it's loaded with stuff I don't want, trial
    > versions of this that and the other, etc.
    > I was going to just reformat and go from there, but
    > reading the lit that came with it, it said to never put an operating system
    > on it
    > except for the one on the restore CD because if you do, things won't work
    > right.
    >
    > Is there any truth to that? It's a Compaq V2000, AMD Turion 64
    >
    > Has anybody loaded a normal OS on one with success?

    There's no truth whatsoever. Just install the OS and download the
    Softpaqs from the support page for your laptop to give you the drivers
    and touchpad/hotkey software.

    --
    Conor

  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    ~1Alex~ wrote:

    > I bought a new laptop, but it's loaded with stuff I don't want, trial
    > versions of this that and the other, etc.
    > I was going to just reformat and go from there, but
    > reading the lit that came with it, it said to never put an operating system
    > on it
    > except for the one on the restore CD because if you do, things won't work
    > right.
    >
    > Is there any truth to that? It's a Compaq V2000, AMD Turion 64
    >
    > Has anybody loaded a normal OS on one with success?
    >
    > thanks,
    >
    > alex

    Gee whiz. From all the driver 'speculation' you'd think no one has an
    internet connection.

    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?dlc=en&tool=softwareCategory&lc=en&sw_lang=8&product=435602&cc=us&os=228

    And if yours is one of the other gazillion variants of 'v2000' the drivers
    are on the web site for them as well.

    The "it might not work right" is just their way of saying don't call them
    with questions if you're not using what they put on it because that's all
    tech support is going to know, if that.
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    The original author was correctly pointed to Compaq's web site to
    search for the drivers.

    Conor even gave specific instructions:

    David Maynard <nospam private.net> wrote:

    > From: David Maynard <nospam private.net>
    > Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
    > Subject: Re: is it ok to fomat new compaq turion laptop?
    > Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 03:26:41 -0500
    >
    > ~1Alex~ wrote:
    >
    >> I bought a new laptop, but it's loaded with stuff I don't want, trial
    >> versions of this that and the other, etc.
    >> I was going to just reformat and go from there, but
    >> reading the lit that came with it, it said to never put an operating system
    >> on it
    >> except for the one on the restore CD because if you do, things won't work
    >> right.
    >>
    >> Is there any truth to that? It's a Compaq V2000, AMD Turion 64
    >>
    >> Has anybody loaded a normal OS on one with success?
    >>
    >> thanks,
    >>
    >> alex
    >>

    > Gee whiz. From all the driver 'speculation' you'd think no one has an
    > internet connection.
    >
    > http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?dlc=en&tool=softwareCategory&lc=en&sw_lang=8&product=435602&cc=us&os=228
    >
    > And if yours is one of the other gazillion variants of 'v2000' the drivers
    > are on the web site for them as well.
    >
    > The "it might not work right" is just their way of saying don't call them
    > with questions if you're not using what they put on it because that's all
    > tech support is going to know, if that.

  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Thanks for all the replies and pointers on this. Indeed, I found what
    appears to be all the drivers for the machine on the compaq website.

    Yes, it's a variaion of the V2000 laptop. Incidently, it works great so
    far, and has a very bright screen. I hadn't realized how dull the screen
    was on my old HP!

    The deal I got on it was at Best Buy for $700 after rebates. It has a 14"
    screen but it's not a normal aspect ration, it's wider then normal, fully
    12" wide, xphome, 1.6gig cpu, 512 mb ram, 60 gig hard drive, DVD player / CD
    R-W optical, 2 usb 2's, wifi g, card reader for 5 different kinds of cards,
    one cia slot or whatever you call it, 56k modem, and an ethernet port, and
    mike in and audio out. The sound is also impressive for such tiny speakers.
    Also has video out, s-video port, and the hp docking port thing. Oh yeah,
    and a firewire port.

    Thanks again to everybody who took the time to clue me in. It was a real
    education.

    alex
  19. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    "~Avery Anderson~" <bogus@nowhere.net> wrote in message
    > Thanks for all the replies and pointers on this. Indeed, I found what
    > appears to be all the drivers for the machine on the compaq website.
    >
    > Yes, it's a variaion of the V2000 laptop. Incidently, it works great so
    > far, and has a very bright screen. I hadn't realized how dull the screen
    > was on my old HP!
    >
    > The deal I got on it was at Best Buy for $700 after rebates. It has a 14"
    > screen but it's not a normal aspect ration, it's wider then normal, fully
    > 12" wide, xphome, 1.6gig cpu, 512 mb ram, 60 gig hard drive, DVD player /
    > CD R-W optical, 2 usb 2's, wifi g, card reader for 5 different kinds of
    > cards, one cia slot or whatever you call it, 56k modem, and an ethernet
    > port, and mike in and audio out. The sound is also impressive for such
    > tiny speakers. Also has video out, s-video port, and the hp docking port
    > thing. Oh yeah, and a firewire port.
    >
    > Thanks again to everybody who took the time to clue me in. It was a real
    > education.
    >
    > alex

    On my last two laptops I formatted and installed XP Pro on them after going
    to the manufacturers web site and getting the correct drivers. One was a
    Sony Vaio and the last was a Toshiba. I put the drivers on a usb thumb drive
    and just pointed XP there for the drivers. Both went just fine. The XP disks
    were OEM that I had in inventory but since I have scaled back (retired)
    building systems, I decided to use them for something.....:-). Since I
    mainly use the laptops on photo shoots and for sitting out on the back deck
    in the morning reading the email and news, I didn't need the plethora of
    garbage that most laptop makers stick on their systems.

    Ed

  20. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    ~1Alex~ wrote:
    > I bought a new laptop, but it's loaded with stuff I don't want, trial
    > versions of this that and the other, etc.
    > I was going to just reformat and go from there, but
    > reading the lit that came with it, it said to never put an operating system
    > on it
    > except for the one on the restore CD because if you do, things won't work
    > right.
    >
    > Is there any truth to that? It's a Compaq V2000, AMD Turion 64
    >
    > Has anybody loaded a normal OS on one with success?
    >
    > thanks,
    >
    > alex

    As long as you have the recovery disks it doesn't matter. You can
    always return the system to how it was when you first got it.
  21. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    John Doe wrote:

    > Good luck finding Linux drivers for hundreds of common Windows PC
    > peripherals.
    >
    > "Somewhere, over the rainbow... la la la"

    Sounds like you haven't visited a current Linux distro.

Homebuilt Laptops Turion Compaq Systems