Advice on new system

My son an I build a new system every year or two. As I look at what's
out there, it looks like PCIe is now the best way to go, since he is a
gamer.

I'd love to hear suggestions on what is the best bang for the buck
nowadays as we look for a new motherboard, cpu, memory and especially a
video card for the new system.

How far does a thousand bucks go nowadays?

Thanks in advance.
4 answers Last reply
More about advice system

    Tull wrote:
    > My son an I build a new system every year or two. As I look at what's
    > out there, it looks like PCIe is now the best way to go, since he is a
    > gamer.
    >
    > I'd love to hear suggestions on what is the best bang for the buck
    > nowadays as we look for a new motherboard, cpu, memory and especially a
    > video card for the new system.

    I have been thinking about that a lot lately, and IMHO you have to get a
    Athlon 64 system. You need a compatible mobo that will support both
    current single core and upcoming dual core CPUs. PCI-E is certainly the
    way to go with vid cards.

    Here's a great web site for system guidelines:

    http://arstechnica.com/guides/buyer/system-guide-200506.ars

    I disagree about their picks for monitor, though. The latest MaximumPC
    Magazine has a wonderful article that reviews/compares top-quality LCD
    monitors, and it is certainly worth a look. I used to believe that no
    LCD could equal a good CRT in image quality and performance, but I guess
    that is no longer true.

    Tull wrote:

    > I'd love to hear suggestions on what is the best bang for the buck
    > nowadays as we look for a new motherboard, cpu, memory and especially a
    > video card for the new system.

    Speaking of memory, I have heard majorly good things about PATRIOT brand.

    Example:

    Patriot "Extreme Performance" Memory 184-Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200, Low
    Latency 2-3-2-5, Model PEP5123200LL -Retail
    Specifications:
    Manufacturer: PDP SYSTEMS
    Speed: DDR400(PC3200)
    Type: 184-Pin DDR SDRAM
    Error Checking: Non-ECC
    Registered/Unbuffered: Unbuffered
    Cas Latency: 2-3-2-5-T1
    Support Voltage: 2.5V
    Bandwidth: 3.2GB/s
    Warranty: Lifetime

    Price? $62.00 USD per stick.
    [NEWEGG]

    well you need a pentium 4 or amd cpu something in the 3 gig range.
    I like the nvidia 6600gt pci-e the 6800gt is better if you have the cash
    get 1 gig of ram to match the cpu, for gamming you need one gig for the
    newer games.
    get a good power supply and sata hard drive
    the rest will take care of itself
    "Tull" <tull@outgun.com> wrote in message
    > My son an I build a new system every year or two. As I look at what's out
    > there, it looks like PCIe is now the best way to go, since he is a gamer.
    >
    > I'd love to hear suggestions on what is the best bang for the buck
    > nowadays as we look for a new motherboard, cpu, memory and especially a
    > video card for the new system.
    >
    > How far does a thousand bucks go nowadays?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    > My son an I build a new system every year or two. As I look at what's out
    > there, it looks like PCIe is now the best way to go, since he is a gamer.
    >
    > I'd love to hear suggestions on what is the best bang for the buck
    > nowadays as we look for a new motherboard, cpu, memory and especially a
    > video card for the new system.
    >
    > How far does a thousand bucks go nowadays?

    Best bang for the buck is an AMD Athlon 64 CPU, and the nVidia GeForce
    6600GT video card. As far as motherboards and memory, memory prices are
    volitile and change. I personally have used and like Kingston, Crucial, and
    Corsair. My latest favorite motherboard is the MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum. It's a
    little pricey, but it has quite a lot of features, including an onboard
    Creative Soundblaster Live! 24 bit sound chip. It's still not as good as an
    add-in card, but far better than the Cmedia AC97 sound that most boards
    offer. The only drawback about the board is the fact that there are
    capacitors in the way of running the new nVidia GeForce 7800GTX video cards
    because the new cards are longer, but those boards are far too expensive for
    my tastes...

    A thousand bucks goes pretty far:

    MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum: $168
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813130487

    AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice core: $265
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103533

    1GB Corsair XMS dual channel memory kit: $132
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145450

    EVGA GeForce 6600GT: $169
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130214

    (2) WD 160GB SATA HDD w/ 8MB cache in RAID 0: 2 x $82:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144152

    LiteOn 16X DVD burner with DL: $46
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827106988

    Antec Sonata II case w/ SmartPower 2.0 450W PSU: $104
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811129155

    Total: $1048! The only things not retail versions are the hard drives and
    you get SATA cables with the motherboard and can download the software to
    format the drives from the internet for free. That's a lot of power for the
    money...

    Just my $.02...

Homebuilt Systems Product