IDE arrangement for video editting?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,aus.dvd (More info?)

Hi all,

My wife is going to be taking video clips from VHS and DVD and editting
them into compilations for lectures (output to DVD, VHS, and for
playback from a laptop, depending on what AV equipment the lecture
theatres have). I'm wondering how I should arrange her IDE drives for
best performance:
1x 40GB Seagate HDD
1x 120GB Western Digital HDD (about to be installed so she can work on
the video files on this drive)
1x CDROM
1x Pioneer DVR107D DVD burner

What are your thoughts on which IDE ribbons these drives should be
placed on? I was thinking about a hard drive and an optical drive on
each ribbon but realised that the ribbons probably wouldn't reach. I
could try and add a PCI IDE expansion card and see how that goes (I have
one that was going to go into our backup/file server, but it could go
into her computer).

TIA,

Ari

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 19:32:18 +0800, spodosaurus <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>My wife is going to be taking video clips from VHS and DVD and editting
>them into compilations for lectures (output to DVD, VHS, and for
>playback from a laptop, depending on what AV equipment the lecture
>theatres have). I'm wondering how I should arrange her IDE drives for
>best performance:
>1x 40GB Seagate HDD
>1x 120GB Western Digital HDD (about to be installed so she can work on
>the video files on this drive)
>1x CDROM
>1x Pioneer DVR107D DVD burner
>
>What are your thoughts on which IDE ribbons these drives should be
>placed on? I was thinking about a hard drive and an optical drive on
>each ribbon but realised that the ribbons probably wouldn't reach. I
>could try and add a PCI IDE expansion card and see how that goes (I have
>one that was going to go into our backup/file server, but it could go
>into her computer).

It really doesn't matter these days.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,aus.dvd (More info?)

"spodosaurus" <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote

> My wife is going to be taking video clips from VHS and DVD and editting
> them into compilations for lectures (output to DVD, VHS, and for
> playback from a laptop, depending on what AV equipment the lecture
> theatres have). I'm wondering how I should arrange her IDE drives for
> best performance:
> 1x 40GB Seagate HDD
> 1x 120GB Western Digital HDD (about to be installed so she can work on
> the video files on this drive)
> 1x CDROM
> 1x Pioneer DVR107D DVD burner

It does not really matter very much, *EXCEPT*

o arrange things when editing so that the source and destination are on
different hard drives.
o arrange things so that when creating the DVD files from the edited
video the source and destination are on different hard drives.

For example:

o use the 120GB drive for the initial capture
o edit from that to the 40GB drive when assembling the clips
o create the DVD image on the 120GB drive from the clips assembled on the
40GB drive

This should make things *VERY* much faster (five times or more) than reading
and writing large files using the same drive. To see how much, just try
copying a 1GB file within each of the hard drives, and then see how very
much faster it is when one disk is the source and the other is the
destination.

Then it's probably better if the DVD image drive is on a different cable
from the DVD writer, in which case put both hard disks on the first
controller and both optical drives on the second.

John Howells

spodosaurus wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> My wife is going to be taking video clips from VHS and DVD and editting
> them into compilations for lectures (output to DVD, VHS, and for
> playback from a laptop, depending on what AV equipment the lecture
> theatres have). I'm wondering how I should arrange her IDE drives for
> best performance:
> 1x 40GB Seagate HDD
> 1x 120GB Western Digital HDD (about to be installed so she can work on
> the video files on this drive)
> 1x CDROM
> 1x Pioneer DVR107D DVD burner
>
> What are your thoughts on which IDE ribbons these drives should be
> placed on? I was thinking about a hard drive and an optical drive on
> each ribbon but realised that the ribbons probably wouldn't reach. I
> could try and add a PCI IDE expansion card and see how that goes (I have
> one that was going to go into our backup/file server, but it could go
> into her computer).

Get an IDE controller and separate all the drives. I.e. one drive per
channel. A small boot drive is not always the best as alot of apps use
it for temp/work/swap files. If the WD is an 8 meg cache model it would
be a better candidate for a boot drive as Windows will run a little faster.
At worst I would set it up as 120g primary master, 40g primary slave and
Pioneer 107 as secondary master. The cdrom is probably not going to be
much use to you anyway, so probably best just to ditch it.

Mark

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,aus.dvd (More info?)

On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 16:58:32 +0100 As Androids Dreamed Of Electric
Sheep and then "John Howells" <john@howells-99.freeserve.co.uk> wrote
:

>"spodosaurus" <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote
>
>> My wife is going to be taking video clips from VHS and DVD and editting
>> them into compilations for lectures (output to DVD, VHS, and for
>> playback from a laptop, depending on what AV equipment the lecture
>> theatres have). I'm wondering how I should arrange her IDE drives for
>> best performance:
>> 1x 40GB Seagate HDD
>> 1x 120GB Western Digital HDD (about to be installed so she can work on
>> the video files on this drive)
>> 1x CDROM
>> 1x Pioneer DVR107D DVD burner
>
>It does not really matter very much, *EXCEPT*
>
>o arrange things when editing so that the source and destination are on
>different hard drives.
>o arrange things so that when creating the DVD files from the edited
>video the source and destination are on different hard drives.
>
>For example:
>
>o use the 120GB drive for the initial capture
>o edit from that to the 40GB drive when assembling the clips
>o create the DVD image on the 120GB drive from the clips assembled on the
>40GB drive
>
>This should make things *VERY* much faster (five times or more) than reading
>and writing large files using the same drive. To see how much, just try
>copying a 1GB file within each of the hard drives, and then see how very
>much faster it is when one disk is the source and the other is the
>destination.
>
>Then it's probably better if the DVD image drive is on a different cable
>from the DVD writer, in which case put both hard disks on the first
>controller and both optical drives on the second.
>
>John Howells

So rare to see an accurate post on this subject.
Kudos :)
What he said :p

--
Free Windows/PC help,

TT

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,aus.dvd (More info?)

"spodosaurus" <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote in message
::
: I also should have been more specific: the clips are from
recordings of
: broadcasts. Most unis pay a fee to a copyright umbrella
organisation for
: this purpose.
:
This is what we were specifically warned about. I have sent
an email off and I will see what I can do. Actually it all
started because the lecturers were not taping enough. ECU
apparently pays some huge fee for the privilege. The
problem arises (apparently) when computers get involved. -
shrug!

IMHO it is very silly and just *may* be the interpretation
of some idiot legal eagle.

I will post more when I get a reply.

Cheers TT

spodosaurus wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> My wife is going to be taking video clips from VHS and DVD and editting
> them into compilations for lectures (output to DVD, VHS, and for
> playback from a laptop, depending on what AV equipment the lecture
> theatres have). I'm wondering how I should arrange her IDE drives for
> best performance:
> 1x 40GB Seagate HDD
> 1x 120GB Western Digital HDD (about to be installed so she can work on
> the video files on this drive)
> 1x CDROM
> 1x Pioneer DVR107D DVD burner
>
> What are your thoughts on which IDE ribbons these drives should be
> placed on? I was thinking about a hard drive and an optical drive on
> each ribbon but realised that the ribbons probably wouldn't reach. I
> could try and add a PCI IDE expansion card and see how that goes (I have
> one that was going to go into our backup/file server, but it could go
> into her computer).

I don't think any given combo will make a huge difference...
Although I would try to keep the two HDDs on separate channels if practical.
As you say though, the ribbons may not be long enough.
I wouldnt worry about it too much.

--
/J/
Stuffing around with the web cam again:

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,aus.dvd (More info?)

spodosaurus <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote

> My wife is going to be taking video clips from VHS and DVD and
> editting them into compilations for lectures (output to DVD, VHS, and for
> playback from a laptop, depending on what AV equipment the lecture theatres
> have). I'm wondering how I should arrange her IDE drives for best performance:
> 1x 40GB Seagate HDD
> 1x 120GB Western Digital HDD (about to be installed so she can work on the
> video files on this drive)
> 1x CDROM
> 1x Pioneer DVR107D DVD burner

> What are your thoughts on which IDE ribbons these drives should be placed on?

It doesnt normally matter much, essentially because
ops are normally limited by the speed of the burner.

> I was thinking about a hard drive and an optical drive on each ribbon but
> realised that the ribbons probably wouldn't reach.

Yeah, thats the main reason for the allocation to ribbons,
what works best physically. And that normally means the
optical drives on one ribbon and the hard drives on the other.

> I could try and add a PCI IDE expansion card and see how that goes (I have one
> that was going to go into our backup/file server, but it could go into her
> computer).

No point, complete waste of time unless you have no IDE ports left.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,aus.dvd (More info?)

Mark Bedingfield <atari030@nomorespampleaseoptusnet.com.au> wrote
> spodosaurus wrote

>> My wife is going to be taking video clips from VHS and DVD and
>> editting them into compilations for lectures (output to DVD, VHS,
>> and for playback from a laptop, depending on what AV equipment the
>> lecture theatres have). I'm wondering how I should arrange her IDE
>> drives for best performance:
>> 1x 40GB Seagate HDD
>> 1x 120GB Western Digital HDD (about to be installed so she can work
>> on the video files on this drive)
>> 1x CDROM
>> 1x Pioneer DVR107D DVD burner
>>
>> What are your thoughts on which IDE ribbons these drives should be
>> placed on? I was thinking about a hard drive and an optical drive on
>> each ribbon but realised that the ribbons probably wouldn't reach. I
>> could try and add a PCI IDE expansion card and see how that goes (I
>> have one that was going to go into our backup/file server, but it
>> could go into her computer).

> Get an IDE controller and separate all the drives. I.e. one drive per channel.

Complete waste of time and money. Wont achieve
a damned thing with the way that PC will be used.

> A small boot drive is not always the best as alot of apps use it for
> temp/work/swap files.

> If the WD is an 8 meg cache model it would be a better candidate for a boot
> drive as Windows will run a little faster.

Can be noticeably faster.

> At worst I would set it up as 120g primary master, 40g primary slave

Fine.

> and Pioneer 107 as secondary master. The cdrom is probably not going to be
> much use to you anyway, so probably best just to ditch it.

No need, it wont have any effect being there.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,aus.dvd (More info?)

John Howells <john@howells-99.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> "spodosaurus" <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote
>
>> My wife is going to be taking video clips from VHS and DVD and
>> editting them into compilations for lectures (output to DVD, VHS,
>> and for playback from a laptop, depending on what AV equipment the
>> lecture theatres have). I'm wondering how I should arrange her IDE
>> drives for best performance:
>> 1x 40GB Seagate HDD
>> 1x 120GB Western Digital HDD (about to be installed so she can work
>> on the video files on this drive)
>> 1x CDROM
>> 1x Pioneer DVR107D DVD burner
>
> It does not really matter very much, *EXCEPT*
>
> o arrange things when editing so that the source and destination
> are on different hard drives.
> o arrange things so that when creating the DVD files from the
> edited video the source and destination are on different hard drives.
>
> For example:
>
> o use the 120GB drive for the initial capture
> o edit from that to the 40GB drive when assembling the clips
> o create the DVD image on the 120GB drive from the clips assembled
> on the 40GB drive
>
> This should make things *VERY* much faster (five times or more) than
> reading and writing large files using the same drive. To see how
> much, just try copying a 1GB file within each of the hard drives, and
> then see how very much faster it is when one disk is the source and
> the other is the destination.

> Then it's probably better if the DVD image drive
> is on a different cable from the DVD writer,

It makes no difference, essentially because the speed of
burning is completely limited by the speed of the DVD writer.

> in which case put both hard disks on the first
> controller and both optical drives on the second.

And that's normally the best mechanically, anything
else will often see the ribbon cables not long enough.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,aus.dvd (More info?)

TT <TTencerNOmorespam@westnet.net.au> wrote
> spodosaurus <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote

>> I also should have been more specific: the clips are
>> from recordings of broadcasts. Most unis pay a fee
>> to a copyright umbrella organisation for this purpose.

> This is what we were specifically warned about.

Then you either totally mangled what you
were told or that fool who claimed it did.

> I have sent an email off and I will see what I can do.

You could read the copyright act, its
quite readable on that fair use question.

> Actually it all started because the lecturers were not
> taping enough. ECU apparently pays some huge fee
> for the privilege. The problem arises (apparently)
> when computers get involved. - shrug!

Wrong. There is nothing in the copyright
act that says anything like what you claim.

> IMHO it is very silly and just *may* be
> the interpretation of some idiot legal eagle.

No maybe about it, its utterly wrong.

The copyright act does in fact now make explicit
provision for caching copyright material. That does
not breach copyright. In spades when you are
paying royaltys to the copyright owner.

TT wrote:
> "spodosaurus" <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote in message
> ::
> : I also should have been more specific: the clips are from
> recordings of
> : broadcasts. Most unis pay a fee to a copyright umbrella
> organisation for
> : this purpose.
> :
> This is what we were specifically warned about. I have sent
> an email off and I will see what I can do. Actually it all
> started because the lecturers were not taping enough. ECU
> apparently pays some huge fee for the privilege. The
> problem arises (apparently) when computers get involved. -
> shrug!
>
> IMHO it is very silly and just *may* be the interpretation
> of some idiot legal eagle.
>
> I will post more when I get a reply.
>
> Cheers TT

Hopefully in order to come into compliance with the FTA with the USA
we'll start getting some more flexible copyright laws with better fair
use provisions. Thanks for looking into this further for me, it's much
appreciated.

Ari

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

"Jeßus" <_._@ii.net> wrote in message
> spodosaurus wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > My wife is going to be taking video clips from VHS and DVD and editting
> > them into compilations for lectures (output to DVD, VHS, and for
> > playback from a laptop, depending on what AV equipment the lecture
> > theatres have). I'm wondering how I should arrange her IDE drives for
> > best performance:
> > 1x 40GB Seagate HDD
> > 1x 120GB Western Digital HDD (about to be installed so she can work on
> > the video files on this drive)
> > 1x CDROM
> > 1x Pioneer DVR107D DVD burner
> >
> > What are your thoughts on which IDE ribbons these drives should be
> > placed on? I was thinking about a hard drive and an optical drive on
> > each ribbon but realised that the ribbons probably wouldn't reach. I
> > could try and add a PCI IDE expansion card and see how that goes (I have
> > one that was going to go into our backup/file server, but it could go
> > into her computer).
>
> I don't think any given combo will make a huge difference...
> Although I would try to keep the two HDDs on separate channels if
practical.
> As you say though, the ribbons may not be long enough.
> I wouldnt worry about it too much.

I think you are correct about HDDs on separate channels . When I had my
system just doing analog capture I didn't notice having a problem with both
drives on the same channel but when I added a HDTV card it couldn't keep up.
Putting the "capture" drive on it's own channel rectified the situation. IOW
you don't want the O/S and capture competing for the channel.
YMMV

TT

> TT wrote:
> > "spodosaurus" <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote in message
> > ::
> > : I also should have been more specific: the clips are
from
> > recordings of
> > : broadcasts. Most unis pay a fee to a copyright
umbrella
> > organisation for
> > : this purpose.
> > :
> > This is what we were specifically warned about. I have
sent
> > an email off and I will see what I can do. Actually it
all
> > started because the lecturers were not taping enough.
ECU
> > apparently pays some huge fee for the privilege. The
> > problem arises (apparently) when computers get
involved. -
> > shrug!
> >
> > IMHO it is very silly and just *may* be the
interpretation
> > of some idiot legal eagle.
> >
> > I will post more when I get a reply.
> >
> > Cheers TT
> >

> Hopefully in order to come into compliance with the FTA
with the USA
> we'll start getting some more flexible copyright laws with
better fair
> use provisions. Thanks for looking into this further for
me, it's much
> appreciated.
>
> Ari

Send me an email with a valid address and I will send you
what I have. The answer is copyrighted!!!! So I can't post
to a public forum. I can also give you the ECU official
that gave the information.

Cheers TT

T Shadow wrote:

> "Jeßus" <_._@ii.net> wrote in message
>
>>spodosaurus wrote:
>>
>>>Hi all,
>>>
>>>My wife is going to be taking video clips from VHS and DVD and editting
>>>them into compilations for lectures (output to DVD, VHS, and for
>>>playback from a laptop, depending on what AV equipment the lecture
>>>theatres have). I'm wondering how I should arrange her IDE drives for
>>>best performance:
>>>1x 40GB Seagate HDD
>>>1x 120GB Western Digital HDD (about to be installed so she can work on
>>>the video files on this drive)
>>>1x CDROM
>>>1x Pioneer DVR107D DVD burner
>>>
>>>What are your thoughts on which IDE ribbons these drives should be
>>>placed on? I was thinking about a hard drive and an optical drive on
>>>each ribbon but realised that the ribbons probably wouldn't reach. I
>>>could try and add a PCI IDE expansion card and see how that goes (I have
>>>one that was going to go into our backup/file server, but it could go
>>>into her computer).
>>
>>I don't think any given combo will make a huge difference...
>>Although I would try to keep the two HDDs on separate channels if
>
> practical.
>
>>As you say though, the ribbons may not be long enough.
>>I wouldnt worry about it too much.
>>

> I think you are correct about HDDs on separate channels . When I had my
> system just doing analog capture I didn't notice having a problem with both
> drives on the same channel but when I added a HDTV card it couldn't keep up.
> Putting the "capture" drive on it's own channel rectified the situation. IOW
> you don't want the O/S and capture competing for the channel.
> YMMV

Bingo.

IDE can't overlap requests to two devices on the same channel but you can
if they're on separate channels. I.E.

Two on same channel---
readA writeB readA writeB readA writeB readA writeB

Two on separate channels---

readA readA readA readA
writeB writeB writeB writeB

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,aus.dvd (More info?)

On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 15:46:05 +1000 As Androids Dreamed Of Electric
Sheep and then "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote :

>spodosaurus <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote
>
>> My wife is going to be taking video clips from VHS and DVD and
>> editting them into compilations for lectures (output to DVD, VHS, and for
>> playback from a laptop, depending on what AV equipment the lecture theatres
>> have). I'm wondering how I should arrange her IDE drives for best performance:
>> 1x 40GB Seagate HDD
>> 1x 120GB Western Digital HDD (about to be installed so she can work on the
>> video files on this drive)
>> 1x CDROM
>> 1x Pioneer DVR107D DVD burner
>
>> What are your thoughts on which IDE ribbons these drives should be placed on?
>
>It doesnt normally matter much, essentially because
>ops are normally limited by the speed of the burner.

Wrong

--
Free Windows/PC help,

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,aus.dvd (More info?)

On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 15:49:06 +1000 As Androids Dreamed Of Electric
Sheep and then "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote :

>Mark Bedingfield <atari030@nomorespampleaseoptusnet.com.au> wrote
>> spodosaurus wrote
>
>>> My wife is going to be taking video clips from VHS and DVD and
>>> editting them into compilations for lectures (output to DVD, VHS,
>>> and for playback from a laptop, depending on what AV equipment the
>>> lecture theatres have). I'm wondering how I should arrange her IDE
>>> drives for best performance:
>>> 1x 40GB Seagate HDD
>>> 1x 120GB Western Digital HDD (about to be installed so she can work
>>> on the video files on this drive)
>>> 1x CDROM
>>> 1x Pioneer DVR107D DVD burner
>>>
>>> What are your thoughts on which IDE ribbons these drives should be
>>> placed on? I was thinking about a hard drive and an optical drive on
>>> each ribbon but realised that the ribbons probably wouldn't reach. I
>>> could try and add a PCI IDE expansion card and see how that goes (I
>>> have one that was going to go into our backup/file server, but it
>>> could go into her computer).
>
>> Get an IDE controller and separate all the drives. I.e. one drive per channel.
>
>Complete waste of time and money. Wont achieve
>a damned thing with the way that PC will be used.

Wrong

--
Free Windows/PC help,

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,aus.dvd (More info?)

On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 15:51:22 +1000 As Androids Dreamed Of Electric

Shep© <nospam@nospam.com> wrote
> Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote
>> Mark Bedingfield <atari030@nomorespampleaseoptusnet.com.au> wrote
>>> spodosaurus wrote

>>> Get an IDE controller and separate
>>> all the drives. I.e. one drive per channel.

>> Complete waste of time and money. Wont achieve
>> a damned thing with the way that PC will be used.

> Wrong

Right.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,aus.dvd (More info?)

Shep© <nospam@nospam.com> wrote
> Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote

>>> Then it's probably better if the DVD image drive
>>> is on a different cable from the DVD writer,

>> It makes no difference, essentially because the speed of
>> burning is completely limited by the speed of the DVD writer.

> Wrong

Right.

David Maynard wrote:
> T Shadow wrote:
>
>> "Jeßus" <_._@ii.net> wrote in message

>>> I don't think any given combo will make a huge difference...
>>> Although I would try to keep the two HDDs on separate channels if
>>

>> practical.
>>
>>> As you say though, the ribbons may not be long enough.
>>> I wouldnt worry about it too much.
>>>

>> I think you are correct about HDDs on separate channels . When I had my
>> system just doing analog capture I didn't notice having a problem with
>> both
>> drives on the same channel but when I added a HDTV card it couldn't
>> keep up.
>> Putting the "capture" drive on it's own channel rectified the
>> situation. IOW
>> you don't want the O/S and capture competing for the channel.
>> YMMV
>>

> Bingo.
>
> IDE can't overlap requests to two devices on the same channel but you
> can if they're on separate channels. I.E.
>
> Two on same channel---
> readA writeB readA writeB readA writeB readA writeB
>
> Two on separate channels---
>
> readA readA readA readA
> writeB writeB writeB writeB

And this goes even for the current 80-wire IDE ribbons? Sorry, too tired
to google for it right now :)

Ari

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

spodosaurus wrote:

> David Maynard wrote:
>
>> T Shadow wrote:
>>
>>> "Jeßus" <_._@ii.net> wrote in message

>>> practical.

>>> I think you are correct about HDDs on separate channels . When I had my
>>> system just doing analog capture I didn't notice having a problem
>>> with both
>>> drives on the same channel but when I added a HDTV card it couldn't
>>> keep up.
>>> Putting the "capture" drive on it's own channel rectified the
>>> situation. IOW
>>> you don't want the O/S and capture competing for the channel.
>>> YMMV
>>>

>> Bingo.
>>
>> IDE can't overlap requests to two devices on the same channel but you
>> can if they're on separate channels. I.E.
>>
>> Two on same channel---
>> readA writeB readA writeB readA writeB readA writeB
>>
>> Two on separate channels---
>>
>> readA readA readA readA
>> writeB writeB writeB writeB
>>

> And this goes even for the current 80-wire IDE ribbons? Sorry, too tired
> to google for it right now :)
>
> Ari

Yes. 80 wire doesn't change how IDE works, it's just noise rejection for
higher data rates.

David Maynard wrote:
> spodosaurus wrote:
>
>> David Maynard wrote:

>>> Bingo.
>>>
>>> IDE can't overlap requests to two devices on the same channel but you
>>> can if they're on separate channels. I.E.
>>>
>>> Two on same channel---
>>> readA writeB readA writeB readA writeB readA writeB
>>>
>>> Two on separate channels---
>>>
>>> readA readA readA readA
>>> writeB writeB writeB writeB
>>>

>> And this goes even for the current 80-wire IDE ribbons? Sorry, too
>> tired to google for it right now :)
>>
>> Ari
>

> Yes. 80 wire doesn't change how IDE works, it's just noise rejection for
> higher data rates.

Well, I've got an extra generic PCI IDE card now, so hopefully I can get
it working on the WinXP system without too much fiddling and move each
drive to a separate channel. I'm concerned that the generic IDE card
will reduce drive performance though.

Ari

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

spodosaurus wrote:

> David Maynard wrote:
>
>> spodosaurus wrote:

>>> And this goes even for the current 80-wire IDE ribbons? Sorry, too
>>> tired to google for it right now :)
>>>
>>> Ari
>>

>> Yes. 80 wire doesn't change how IDE works, it's just noise rejection
>> for higher data rates.
>>

> Well, I've got an extra generic PCI IDE card now, so hopefully I can get
> it working on the WinXP system without too much fiddling and move each
> drive to a separate channel. I'm concerned that the generic IDE card
> will reduce drive performance though.
>
> Ari

I don't see why it would. IDE is just an interface. The controller is on
the drive.

David Maynard <nospam@private.net> wrote:
> T Shadow wrote:
>
>> "Jeßus" <_._@ii.net> wrote in message

>>> I don't think any given combo will make a huge difference...
>>> Although I would try to keep the two HDDs on separate channels if
>>
>> practical.
>>
>>> As you say though, the ribbons may not be long enough.
>>> I wouldnt worry about it too much.
>>>

>> I think you are correct about HDDs on separate channels . When I had
>> my system just doing analog capture I didn't notice having a problem
>> with both drives on the same channel but when I added a HDTV card it
>> couldn't keep up. Putting the "capture" drive on it's own channel
>> rectified the situation. IOW you don't want the O/S and capture
>> competing for the channel. YMMV
>>

> Bingo.
>
> IDE can't overlap requests to two devices on the same channel but you
> can if they're on separate channels. I.E.
>
> Two on same channel---
> readA writeB readA writeB readA writeB readA writeB
>
> Two on separate channels---
>
> readA readA readA readA
> writeB writeB writeB writeB

Pity that you dont need to in the situation being discussed.