AMD / Intel D ... please catch me up

Ok .... please catch me up on recent developments.

I'm considering building a new PC to compliment my fleet. <GRIN>

Now that the Intel Pentium "D" is out, with 64-bit extensions and Dual Core
what is the best processor to base a system on?

AMD's Athlon 64 (possibly with Dual Core)
or
Intel's Pentium D (Dual Core)

Right now all of my desktop Windows systems are Athlon XP based (1700+,
2200+, 2800+) with Gigabyte motherboards.

Thanks ...
8 answers Last reply
More about intel catch

    "SinghaLvr" <singhalvr@charter.net> wrote in message
    > Ok .... please catch me up on recent developments.
    >
    > I'm considering building a new PC to compliment my fleet. <GRIN>
    >

    > Now that the Intel Pentium "D" is out, with 64-bit extensions and Dual
    > Core
    > what is the best processor to base a system on?
    >
    > AMD's Athlon 64 (possibly with Dual Core)
    > or
    > Intel's Pentium D (Dual Core)
    >

    > Right now all of my desktop Windows systems are Athlon XP based (1700+,
    > 2200+, 2800+) with Gigabyte motherboards.

    AMD...AMD...AMD...

    Seriously, the dual core P4's are slapped together and not built from the
    ground up like the Athlon 64 X2's. The X2's kick the P4's arse. Right now,
    there aren't that many software titles taking advantage of dual core, and
    you have to run Windows XP Pro to even use it. However, it's always a good
    idea to bank on the future.

    "SinghaLvr" <singhalvr@charter.net> wrote...
    > Now that the Intel Pentium "D" is out, with 64-bit extensions and Dual
    > Core
    > what is the best processor to base a system on?
    >
    > AMD's Athlon 64 (possibly with Dual Core)
    > or
    > Intel's Pentium D (Dual Core)

    Yes.

    > Right now all of my desktop Windows systems are Athlon XP based (1700+,
    > 2200+, 2800+) with Gigabyte motherboards.

    If you like AMD, there's no reason not to stay with them. The A64 X2 in
    Socket 939 or Opteron 265/270/275 dual-core in Socket 940 are both nice.
    Depends on whether you think you'll go to dual duals (Opteron only)...

    "SinghaLvr" <singhalvr@charter.net> wrote in message
    > Ok .... please catch me up on recent developments.
    >
    > I'm considering building a new PC to compliment my fleet. <GRIN>
    >

    > Now that the Intel Pentium "D" is out, with 64-bit extensions and Dual
    Core
    > what is the best processor to base a system on?
    >
    > AMD's Athlon 64 (possibly with Dual Core)
    > or
    > Intel's Pentium D (Dual Core)
    >

    > Right now all of my desktop Windows systems are Athlon XP based (1700+,
    > 2200+, 2800+) with Gigabyte motherboards.
    >
    > Thanks ...

    So what apps are you going to use?
    Mike.

    Hey, ive also been looking at the new AMD Dual Cores, Ive heard Intel
    have gone 64 bit now also, but i was unaware that they have developed
    into the 64x2 regions... lol... Ive seen an AMD 64x2 running, but now i
    aint sure which to go for... It will be another month or two before im
    buying, but could someone list the pros and cons of both chips ?

    Much Appriciated

    O and a bit off topic, but PCI-E or AGPx8 ? DDR 4000+ or DDR2 ?

    Thanks

    On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 17:20:46 -0400, Michael Hawes wrote
    (in article <42ee949b$2_3@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com>):

    > So what apps are you going to use?
    > Mike.

    Anything and everything.

    Let's discount video editing. I do that on my Dual-G5, but otherwise most
    everything else is fair game.

    I do quite a bit of heavy software development (server), but that rarely
    taxes a processor. (I'll hit network and resource limits far before I run
    out of processor).

    Up until now I've not played too many games, but I'm trying to turn over a
    new leaf: Half-Life, UT2003, etc. are good candidates. <smile>

    (And of course room to grow for the future.) Basically I have the cash, and
    I'd like to build the fastest machine I can.

    - Does this really answer the question? I don't know.

    On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 17:35:51 -0400, Ruel Smith wrote
    (in article <2d275$42ee95b6$42a1ba1b$17217@FUSE.NET>):

    > AMD...AMD...AMD...
    >
    > Seriously, the dual core P4's are slapped together and not built from the
    > ground up like the Athlon 64 X2's. The X2's kick the P4's arse. Right now,
    > there aren't that many software titles taking advantage of dual core, and
    > you have to run Windows XP Pro to even use it. However, it's always a good
    > idea to bank on the future.

    Well, I always run Pro. All of my home machines fall under my company's site
    license, so the OS, compilers and dev-tools aren't an issue. Go figure
    (lucky me!)

    I'll look at the X2s. Quite honestly AMD confused the hell out of me when
    they dropped the Athlon XP, introduced the Sempron, and whatever else they
    did. I've got to re-orient.

    > I'll look at the X2s. Quite honestly AMD confused the hell out of me when
    > they dropped the Athlon XP, introduced the Sempron, and whatever else they
    > did. I've got to re-orient.

    AMD's offerings are too complicated.

    > O and a bit off topic, but PCI-E or AGPx8 ? DDR 4000+ or DDR2 ?

    PCIe for future upgradablility. nVidia won't even consider an AGP version of
    the 7800GTX. That ought to tell you something about the lifespan of the AGP
    bus.

    DDR2 will be available from AMD on the next socket (socket M2).

    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2476

Homebuilt Dual Core Systems