no domain controller found after replacing switch...

Hi everyone. We have a problem that we can't figure out- maybe someone here
can help us? About two weeks ago, our main switch (a Cisco 2900) blew. We
replaced it and reconfigured it, but ever since then we've been experiencing
the following problem: when we start up our machines and log on, an error
shows up in the event viewer stating that no domain controller can be found.
Sometimes at logon a message pops up on the screen stating that we are being
logged on with cached credentials, but usually it just shows up in the event
viewer. The weird thing is, we can still ping the DC and access all network
resources (except in the case where we wind up logging on with cached
credentials- then removing it from the domain and rejoining it fixes it
temporarily). A netlogon error also appears in the event viewer on the domain
controller; basically, no domain controller can be found for domain y...
We thought that it was possible that the trust relationship between the x
and y domains had been broken so we restarted both domain controllers- it
didn't change a thing. We made sure to enable portfast on the switch, but
that hasn't helped either. We're thinking that the issue must be related to
the switch since that's when this problem first started, but we don't know
for sure, and we don't know what else we can do to fix it. It's been two
weeks now, and we would really like to get this issue resolved. Can anyone
help us out? Thank you very much in advance for your assistance- it's greatly
appreciated.
Jen
P.S. We're running Windows NT on the domain controllers (with NT domains),
and we've got NT, 2000Pro, and XP on the client workstations. The switch in
question is a 2900. Thanks again.
7 answers Last reply
More about domain controller found replacing switch

    "Jen" <Jen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi everyone. We have a problem that we can't figure out- maybe someone here
    > can help us? About two weeks ago, our main switch (a Cisco 2900) blew. We
    > replaced it and reconfigured it, but ever since then we've been experiencing
    > the following problem: when we start up our machines and log on, an error
    > shows up in the event viewer stating that no domain controller can be found.
    > Sometimes at logon a message pops up on the screen stating that we are being
    > logged on with cached credentials, but usually it just shows up in the event
    > viewer. The weird thing is, we can still ping the DC and access all network
    > resources (except in the case where we wind up logging on with cached
    > credentials- then removing it from the domain and rejoining it fixes it
    > temporarily). A netlogon error also appears in the event viewer on the domain
    > controller; basically, no domain controller can be found for domain y...
    > We thought that it was possible that the trust relationship between the x
    > and y domains had been broken so we restarted both domain controllers- it
    > didn't change a thing. We made sure to enable portfast on the switch, but
    > that hasn't helped either. We're thinking that the issue must be related to
    > the switch since that's when this problem first started, but we don't know
    > for sure, and we don't know what else we can do to fix it. It's been two
    > weeks now, and we would really like to get this issue resolved. Can anyone
    > help us out? Thank you very much in advance for your assistance- it's greatly
    > appreciated.
    > Jen
    > P.S. We're running Windows NT on the domain controllers (with NT domains),
    > and we've got NT, 2000Pro, and XP on the client workstations. The switch in
    > question is a 2900. Thanks again.

    Do you have another switch to try? Is there some filtering going on so that
    certain packets are dropped?

    Hi Jen,

    Immediately after a failed logon attempt open a dos prompt
    and run nbtstat -c. Verify at least the following netbios names
    are in the cache without conflict and pointing towards the PDC
    of your domain: domain name 1b, 1c / computernames 00, 03, 20.

    "Jen" <Jen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
    > Hi everyone. We have a problem that we can't figure out- maybe someone
    here
    > can help us? About two weeks ago, our main switch (a Cisco 2900) blew.
    We
    > replaced it and reconfigured it, but ever since then we've been
    experiencing
    > the following problem: when we start up our machines and log on, an
    error
    > shows up in the event viewer stating that no domain controller can be
    found.
    > Sometimes at logon a message pops up on the screen stating that we are
    being
    > logged on with cached credentials, but usually it just shows up in the
    event
    > viewer. The weird thing is, we can still ping the DC and access all
    network
    > resources (except in the case where we wind up logging on with cached
    > credentials- then removing it from the domain and rejoining it fixes
    it
    > temporarily). A netlogon error also appears in the event viewer on the
    domain
    > controller; basically, no domain controller can be found for domain
    y...
    > We thought that it was possible that the trust relationship between
    the x
    > and y domains had been broken so we restarted both domain controllers-
    it
    > didn't change a thing. We made sure to enable portfast on the switch,
    but
    > that hasn't helped either. We're thinking that the issue must be
    related to
    > the switch since that's when this problem first started, but we don't
    know
    > for sure, and we don't know what else we can do to fix it. It's been
    two
    > weeks now, and we would really like to get this issue resolved. Can
    anyone
    > help us out? Thank you very much in advance for your assistance- it's
    greatly
    > appreciated.
    > Jen
    > P.S. We're running Windows NT on the domain controllers (with NT
    domains),
    > and we've got NT, 2000Pro, and XP on the client workstations. The
    switch in
    > question is a 2900. Thanks again.
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    What if the only
    DOMAIN NAME <1C> GROUP
    COMPUTERNAME <20> UNIQUE
    PDC NAME <20> UNIQUE

    Show up?

    "Jen" wrote:

    > Hi everyone. We have a problem that we can't figure out- maybe someone here
    > can help us? About two weeks ago, our main switch (a Cisco 2900) blew. We
    > replaced it and reconfigured it, but ever since then we've been experiencing
    > the following problem: when we start up our machines and log on, an error
    > shows up in the event viewer stating that no domain controller can be found.
    > Sometimes at logon a message pops up on the screen stating that we are being
    > logged on with cached credentials, but usually it just shows up in the event
    > viewer. The weird thing is, we can still ping the DC and access all network
    > resources (except in the case where we wind up logging on with cached
    > credentials- then removing it from the domain and rejoining it fixes it
    > temporarily). A netlogon error also appears in the event viewer on the domain
    > controller; basically, no domain controller can be found for domain y...
    > We thought that it was possible that the trust relationship between the x
    > and y domains had been broken so we restarted both domain controllers- it
    > didn't change a thing. We made sure to enable portfast on the switch, but
    > that hasn't helped either. We're thinking that the issue must be related to
    > the switch since that's when this problem first started, but we don't know
    > for sure, and we don't know what else we can do to fix it. It's been two
    > weeks now, and we would really like to get this issue resolved. Can anyone
    > help us out? Thank you very much in advance for your assistance- it's greatly
    > appreciated.
    > Jen
    > P.S. We're running Windows NT on the domain controllers (with NT domains),
    > and we've got NT, 2000Pro, and XP on the client workstations. The switch in
    > question is a 2900. Thanks again.
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    Depends on what syntax you used to get the list
    and how long after a connection or domain logon
    attempt was made.
    "crewd33" <crewd33@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
    > What if the only
    > DOMAIN NAME <1C> GROUP
    > COMPUTERNAME <20> UNIQUE
    > PDC NAME <20> UNIQUE
    >
    > Show up?
    >
    > "Jen" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi everyone. We have a problem that we can't figure out- maybe someone
    >> here
    >> can help us? About two weeks ago, our main switch (a Cisco 2900) blew. We
    >> replaced it and reconfigured it, but ever since then we've been
    >> experiencing
    >> the following problem: when we start up our machines and log on, an error
    >> shows up in the event viewer stating that no domain controller can be
    >> found.
    >> Sometimes at logon a message pops up on the screen stating that we are
    >> being
    >> logged on with cached credentials, but usually it just shows up in the
    >> event
    >> viewer. The weird thing is, we can still ping the DC and access all
    >> network
    >> resources (except in the case where we wind up logging on with cached
    >> credentials- then removing it from the domain and rejoining it fixes it
    >> temporarily). A netlogon error also appears in the event viewer on the
    >> domain
    >> controller; basically, no domain controller can be found for domain y...
    >> We thought that it was possible that the trust relationship between the x
    >> and y domains had been broken so we restarted both domain controllers- it
    >> didn't change a thing. We made sure to enable portfast on the switch, but
    >> that hasn't helped either. We're thinking that the issue must be related
    >> the switch since that's when this problem first started, but we don't
    >> know
    >> for sure, and we don't know what else we can do to fix it. It's been two
    >> weeks now, and we would really like to get this issue resolved. Can
    >> anyone
    >> help us out? Thank you very much in advance for your assistance- it's
    >> greatly
    >> appreciated.
    >> Jen
    >> P.S. We're running Windows NT on the domain controllers (with NT
    >> domains),
    >> and we've got NT, 2000Pro, and XP on the client workstations. The switch
    >> in
    >> question is a 2900. Thanks again.
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    I am experiencing the same issue but with new HP switches after a replacement
    of old KTI unmanageable switches.

    "Immediately after a failed logon attempt open a dos prompt
    and run nbtstat -c. Verify at least the following netbios namesare in the
    cache without conflict and pointing towards the PDCof your domain: domain
    name 1b, 1c / computernames 00, 03, 20."

    My question is after you run nbtstat -c and try to verify the netbios names,
    what is the next step if the domain name 1b and other computer names do not
    show? We have tried everything from re-trusting the domains involved to
    recreating the WINS database. We have a NT PDC and BDC that are multi-homed
    but you can ping all 4 addresses. The DHCP server is a Windows 2003 member
    server.

    "Michael Giorgio - MVP" wrote:

    > Depends on what syntax you used to get the list
    > and how long after a connection or domain logon
    > attempt was made.
    > "crewd33" <crewd33@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
    > > What if the only
    > > DOMAIN NAME <1C> GROUP
    > > COMPUTERNAME <20> UNIQUE
    > > PDC NAME <20> UNIQUE
    > >
    > > Show up?
    > >
    > > "Jen" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi everyone. We have a problem that we can't figure out- maybe someone
    > >> here
    > >> can help us? About two weeks ago, our main switch (a Cisco 2900) blew. We
    > >> replaced it and reconfigured it, but ever since then we've been
    > >> experiencing
    > >> the following problem: when we start up our machines and log on, an error
    > >> shows up in the event viewer stating that no domain controller can be
    > >> found.
    > >> Sometimes at logon a message pops up on the screen stating that we are
    > >> being
    > >> logged on with cached credentials, but usually it just shows up in the
    > >> event
    > >> viewer. The weird thing is, we can still ping the DC and access all
    > >> network
    > >> resources (except in the case where we wind up logging on with cached
    > >> credentials- then removing it from the domain and rejoining it fixes it
    > >> temporarily). A netlogon error also appears in the event viewer on the
    > >> domain
    > >> controller; basically, no domain controller can be found for domain y...
    > >> We thought that it was possible that the trust relationship between the x
    > >> and y domains had been broken so we restarted both domain controllers- it
    > >> didn't change a thing. We made sure to enable portfast on the switch, but
    > >> that hasn't helped either. We're thinking that the issue must be related
    > >> the switch since that's when this problem first started, but we don't
    > >> know
    > >> for sure, and we don't know what else we can do to fix it. It's been two
    > >> weeks now, and we would really like to get this issue resolved. Can
    > >> anyone
    > >> help us out? Thank you very much in advance for your assistance- it's
    > >> greatly
    > >> appreciated.
    > >> Jen
    > >> P.S. We're running Windows NT on the domain controllers (with NT
    > >> domains),
    > >> and we've got NT, 2000Pro, and XP on the client workstations. The switch
    > >> in
    > >> question is a 2900. Thanks again.

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    As long as you realize multihoming domain master browsers
    causes many problems. Why exactly are they multihomed?

    The next step is to verify the domain name 1b unique name
    is in the WINS database. What happens if you run net view
    on the client machine? The clients are NT, 2k, or XP?

    "crewd33" <crewd33@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
    > I am experiencing the same issue but with new HP switches after a
    replacement
    > of old KTI unmanageable switches.
    >
    > "Immediately after a failed logon attempt open a dos prompt
    > and run nbtstat -c. Verify at least the following netbios namesare in
    the
    > cache without conflict and pointing towards the PDCof your domain:
    domain
    > name 1b, 1c / computernames 00, 03, 20."
    >
    > My question is after you run nbtstat -c and try to verify the netbios
    names,
    > what is the next step if the domain name 1b and other computer names
    do not
    > show? We have tried everything from re-trusting the domains involved
    > recreating the WINS database. We have a NT PDC and BDC that are
    multi-homed
    > but you can ping all 4 addresses. The DHCP server is a Windows 2003
    member
    > server.
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    They are multi-homed due to a previous network configuration (Public and NAT)
    where the servers were placed in a DMZ that used a linux based firewall
    solution. This required the main Linux box to translate NAT to each IDF
    closet, where another Linux based device would hand out DHCP addresses. They
    segmented their network.. In our setup we placed everything behind a Cisco
    PIX firewall and disabled the NIC's not being used. When we did this we broke
    a trust with the domain we were connected to and our Exchange server would
    not work any longer (they do not use SMTP for connectivity). The 1b record is
    in both WINS databases and it shows the domain name. When I run net view I
    can see all the devices that are in the same subnet.

    "Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" wrote:

    > As long as you realize multihoming domain master browsers
    > causes many problems. Why exactly are they multihomed?
    >
    > The next step is to verify the domain name 1b unique name
    > is in the WINS database. What happens if you run net view
    > on the client machine? The clients are NT, 2k, or XP?
    >
    > "crewd33" <crewd33@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
    > > I am experiencing the same issue but with new HP switches after a
    > replacement
    > > of old KTI unmanageable switches.
    > >
    > > "Immediately after a failed logon attempt open a dos prompt
    > > and run nbtstat -c. Verify at least the following netbios namesare in
    > the
    > > cache without conflict and pointing towards the PDCof your domain:
    > domain
    > > name 1b, 1c / computernames 00, 03, 20."
    > >
    > > My question is after you run nbtstat -c and try to verify the netbios
    > names,
    > > what is the next step if the domain name 1b and other computer names
    > do not
    > > show? We have tried everything from re-trusting the domains involved
    > > recreating the WINS database. We have a NT PDC and BDC that are
    > multi-homed
    > > but you can ping all 4 addresses. The DHCP server is a Windows 2003
    > member
    > > server.

Domain Switch Domain Controller Windows