no domain controller found after replacing switch...

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
October 15, 2004 1:11:04 AM

Hi everyone. We have a problem that we can't figure out- maybe someone here
can help us? About two weeks ago, our main switch (a Cisco 2900) blew. We
replaced it and reconfigured it, but ever since then we've been experiencing
the following problem: when we start up our machines and log on, an error
shows up in the event viewer stating that no domain controller can be found.
Sometimes at logon a message pops up on the screen stating that we are being
logged on with cached credentials, but usually it just shows up in the event
viewer. The weird thing is, we can still ping the DC and access all network
resources (except in the case where we wind up logging on with cached
credentials- then removing it from the domain and rejoining it fixes it
temporarily). A netlogon error also appears in the event viewer on the domain
controller; basically, no domain controller can be found for domain y...
We thought that it was possible that the trust relationship between the x
and y domains had been broken so we restarted both domain controllers- it
didn't change a thing. We made sure to enable portfast on the switch, but
that hasn't helped either. We're thinking that the issue must be related to
the switch since that's when this problem first started, but we don't know
for sure, and we don't know what else we can do to fix it. It's been two
weeks now, and we would really like to get this issue resolved. Can anyone
help us out? Thank you very much in advance for your assistance- it's greatly
appreciated.
Jen
P.S. We're running Windows NT on the domain controllers (with NT domains),
and we've got NT, 2000Pro, and XP on the client workstations. The switch in
question is a 2900. Thanks again.
Anonymous
October 18, 2004 7:25:23 PM

"Jen" <Jen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi everyone. We have a problem that we can't figure out- maybe someone here
> can help us? About two weeks ago, our main switch (a Cisco 2900) blew. We
> replaced it and reconfigured it, but ever since then we've been experiencing
> the following problem: when we start up our machines and log on, an error
> shows up in the event viewer stating that no domain controller can be found.
> Sometimes at logon a message pops up on the screen stating that we are being
> logged on with cached credentials, but usually it just shows up in the event
> viewer. The weird thing is, we can still ping the DC and access all network
> resources (except in the case where we wind up logging on with cached
> credentials- then removing it from the domain and rejoining it fixes it
> temporarily). A netlogon error also appears in the event viewer on the domain
> controller; basically, no domain controller can be found for domain y...
> We thought that it was possible that the trust relationship between the x
> and y domains had been broken so we restarted both domain controllers- it
> didn't change a thing. We made sure to enable portfast on the switch, but
> that hasn't helped either. We're thinking that the issue must be related to
> the switch since that's when this problem first started, but we don't know
> for sure, and we don't know what else we can do to fix it. It's been two
> weeks now, and we would really like to get this issue resolved. Can anyone
> help us out? Thank you very much in advance for your assistance- it's greatly
> appreciated.
> Jen
> P.S. We're running Windows NT on the domain controllers (with NT domains),
> and we've got NT, 2000Pro, and XP on the client workstations. The switch in
> question is a 2900. Thanks again.

Do you have another switch to try? Is there some filtering going on so that
certain packets are dropped?
Anonymous
October 19, 2004 3:16:11 PM

Hi Jen,

Immediately after a failed logon attempt open a dos prompt
and run nbtstat -c. Verify at least the following netbios names
are in the cache without conflict and pointing towards the PDC
of your domain: domain name 1b, 1c / computernames 00, 03, 20.

"Jen" <Jen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
> Hi everyone. We have a problem that we can't figure out- maybe someone
here
> can help us? About two weeks ago, our main switch (a Cisco 2900) blew.
We
> replaced it and reconfigured it, but ever since then we've been
experiencing
> the following problem: when we start up our machines and log on, an
error
> shows up in the event viewer stating that no domain controller can be
found.
> Sometimes at logon a message pops up on the screen stating that we are
being
> logged on with cached credentials, but usually it just shows up in the
event
> viewer. The weird thing is, we can still ping the DC and access all
network
> resources (except in the case where we wind up logging on with cached
> credentials- then removing it from the domain and rejoining it fixes
it
> temporarily). A netlogon error also appears in the event viewer on the
domain
> controller; basically, no domain controller can be found for domain
y...
> We thought that it was possible that the trust relationship between
the x
> and y domains had been broken so we restarted both domain controllers-
it
> didn't change a thing. We made sure to enable portfast on the switch,
but
> that hasn't helped either. We're thinking that the issue must be
related to
> the switch since that's when this problem first started, but we don't
know
> for sure, and we don't know what else we can do to fix it. It's been
two
> weeks now, and we would really like to get this issue resolved. Can
anyone
> help us out? Thank you very much in advance for your assistance- it's
greatly
> appreciated.
> Jen
> P.S. We're running Windows NT on the domain controllers (with NT
domains),
> and we've got NT, 2000Pro, and XP on the client workstations. The
switch in
> question is a 2900. Thanks again.
February 2, 2005 1:23:04 PM

What if the only
DOMAIN NAME <1C> GROUP
COMPUTERNAME <20> UNIQUE
PDC NAME <20> UNIQUE

Show up?

"Jen" wrote:

> Hi everyone. We have a problem that we can't figure out- maybe someone here
> can help us? About two weeks ago, our main switch (a Cisco 2900) blew. We
> replaced it and reconfigured it, but ever since then we've been experiencing
> the following problem: when we start up our machines and log on, an error
> shows up in the event viewer stating that no domain controller can be found.
> Sometimes at logon a message pops up on the screen stating that we are being
> logged on with cached credentials, but usually it just shows up in the event
> viewer. The weird thing is, we can still ping the DC and access all network
> resources (except in the case where we wind up logging on with cached
> credentials- then removing it from the domain and rejoining it fixes it
> temporarily). A netlogon error also appears in the event viewer on the domain
> controller; basically, no domain controller can be found for domain y...
> We thought that it was possible that the trust relationship between the x
> and y domains had been broken so we restarted both domain controllers- it
> didn't change a thing. We made sure to enable portfast on the switch, but
> that hasn't helped either. We're thinking that the issue must be related to
> the switch since that's when this problem first started, but we don't know
> for sure, and we don't know what else we can do to fix it. It's been two
> weeks now, and we would really like to get this issue resolved. Can anyone
> help us out? Thank you very much in advance for your assistance- it's greatly
> appreciated.
> Jen
> P.S. We're running Windows NT on the domain controllers (with NT domains),
> and we've got NT, 2000Pro, and XP on the client workstations. The switch in
> question is a 2900. Thanks again.
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 2:29:01 AM

Depends on what syntax you used to get the list
and how long after a connection or domain logon
attempt was made.
"crewd33" <crewd33@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
> What if the only
> DOMAIN NAME <1C> GROUP
> COMPUTERNAME <20> UNIQUE
> PDC NAME <20> UNIQUE
>
> Show up?
>
> "Jen" wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone. We have a problem that we can't figure out- maybe someone
>> here
>> can help us? About two weeks ago, our main switch (a Cisco 2900) blew. We
>> replaced it and reconfigured it, but ever since then we've been
>> experiencing
>> the following problem: when we start up our machines and log on, an error
>> shows up in the event viewer stating that no domain controller can be
>> found.
>> Sometimes at logon a message pops up on the screen stating that we are
>> being
>> logged on with cached credentials, but usually it just shows up in the
>> event
>> viewer. The weird thing is, we can still ping the DC and access all
>> network
>> resources (except in the case where we wind up logging on with cached
>> credentials- then removing it from the domain and rejoining it fixes it
>> temporarily). A netlogon error also appears in the event viewer on the
>> domain
>> controller; basically, no domain controller can be found for domain y...
>> We thought that it was possible that the trust relationship between the x
>> and y domains had been broken so we restarted both domain controllers- it
>> didn't change a thing. We made sure to enable portfast on the switch, but
>> that hasn't helped either. We're thinking that the issue must be related
>> the switch since that's when this problem first started, but we don't
>> know
>> for sure, and we don't know what else we can do to fix it. It's been two
>> weeks now, and we would really like to get this issue resolved. Can
>> anyone
>> help us out? Thank you very much in advance for your assistance- it's
>> greatly
>> appreciated.
>> Jen
>> P.S. We're running Windows NT on the domain controllers (with NT
>> domains),
>> and we've got NT, 2000Pro, and XP on the client workstations. The switch
>> in
>> question is a 2900. Thanks again.
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 10:25:06 AM

I am experiencing the same issue but with new HP switches after a replacement
of old KTI unmanageable switches.

"Immediately after a failed logon attempt open a dos prompt
and run nbtstat -c. Verify at least the following netbios namesare in the
cache without conflict and pointing towards the PDCof your domain: domain
name 1b, 1c / computernames 00, 03, 20."

My question is after you run nbtstat -c and try to verify the netbios names,
what is the next step if the domain name 1b and other computer names do not
show? We have tried everything from re-trusting the domains involved to
recreating the WINS database. We have a NT PDC and BDC that are multi-homed
but you can ping all 4 addresses. The DHCP server is a Windows 2003 member
server.

"Michael Giorgio - MVP" wrote:

> Depends on what syntax you used to get the list
> and how long after a connection or domain logon
> attempt was made.
> "crewd33" <crewd33@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
> > What if the only
> > DOMAIN NAME <1C> GROUP
> > COMPUTERNAME <20> UNIQUE
> > PDC NAME <20> UNIQUE
> >
> > Show up?
> >
> > "Jen" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi everyone. We have a problem that we can't figure out- maybe someone
> >> here
> >> can help us? About two weeks ago, our main switch (a Cisco 2900) blew. We
> >> replaced it and reconfigured it, but ever since then we've been
> >> experiencing
> >> the following problem: when we start up our machines and log on, an error
> >> shows up in the event viewer stating that no domain controller can be
> >> found.
> >> Sometimes at logon a message pops up on the screen stating that we are
> >> being
> >> logged on with cached credentials, but usually it just shows up in the
> >> event
> >> viewer. The weird thing is, we can still ping the DC and access all
> >> network
> >> resources (except in the case where we wind up logging on with cached
> >> credentials- then removing it from the domain and rejoining it fixes it
> >> temporarily). A netlogon error also appears in the event viewer on the
> >> domain
> >> controller; basically, no domain controller can be found for domain y...
> >> We thought that it was possible that the trust relationship between the x
> >> and y domains had been broken so we restarted both domain controllers- it
> >> didn't change a thing. We made sure to enable portfast on the switch, but
> >> that hasn't helped either. We're thinking that the issue must be related
> >> the switch since that's when this problem first started, but we don't
> >> know
> >> for sure, and we don't know what else we can do to fix it. It's been two
> >> weeks now, and we would really like to get this issue resolved. Can
> >> anyone
> >> help us out? Thank you very much in advance for your assistance- it's
> >> greatly
> >> appreciated.
> >> Jen
> >> P.S. We're running Windows NT on the domain controllers (with NT
> >> domains),
> >> and we've got NT, 2000Pro, and XP on the client workstations. The switch
> >> in
> >> question is a 2900. Thanks again.

Anonymous
February 3, 2005 3:01:10 PM

As long as you realize multihoming domain master browsers
causes many problems. Why exactly are they multihomed?

The next step is to verify the domain name 1b unique name
is in the WINS database. What happens if you run net view
on the client machine? The clients are NT, 2k, or XP?

"crewd33" <crewd33@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
> I am experiencing the same issue but with new HP switches after a
replacement
> of old KTI unmanageable switches.
>
> "Immediately after a failed logon attempt open a dos prompt
> and run nbtstat -c. Verify at least the following netbios namesare in
the
> cache without conflict and pointing towards the PDCof your domain:
domain
> name 1b, 1c / computernames 00, 03, 20."
>
> My question is after you run nbtstat -c and try to verify the netbios
names,
> what is the next step if the domain name 1b and other computer names
do not
> show? We have tried everything from re-trusting the domains involved
> recreating the WINS database. We have a NT PDC and BDC that are
multi-homed
> but you can ping all 4 addresses. The DHCP server is a Windows 2003
member
> server.
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 11:43:07 AM

They are multi-homed due to a previous network configuration (Public and NAT)
where the servers were placed in a DMZ that used a linux based firewall
solution. This required the main Linux box to translate NAT to each IDF
closet, where another Linux based device would hand out DHCP addresses. They
segmented their network.. In our setup we placed everything behind a Cisco
PIX firewall and disabled the NIC's not being used. When we did this we broke
a trust with the domain we were connected to and our Exchange server would
not work any longer (they do not use SMTP for connectivity). The 1b record is
in both WINS databases and it shows the domain name. When I run net view I
can see all the devices that are in the same subnet.

!