Extend your power button

I am going to attach my pc to my LCD screen in my kitchen, the PC
itself is in a laundry room next door. I am going to run the wireless
receiver for the KB/mouse into the kitchen. The only thing left is the
power, does anyone have any ideas on how to power this pc on and off
from the other room? I don't know if its possible to wire a separate
switch from the motherboard/AT power supply... Any ideas?
10 answers Last reply
More about extend power button

    Pat wrote:
    > I am going to attach my pc to my LCD screen in my kitchen, the PC
    > itself is in a laundry room next door. I am going to run the wireless
    > receiver for the KB/mouse into the kitchen. The only thing left is the
    > power, does anyone have any ideas on how to power this pc on and off
    > from the other room? I don't know if its possible to wire a separate
    > switch from the motherboard/AT power supply... Any ideas?

    You can wire a second momentary contact, normally open switch, in
    parallel with the case power button Assuming this is an ATX motherboard.

    Just get something like a Switchcraft ED903.

    "http://jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&catalogId=10001&productId=297502"

    You could get fancier.

    Buy the X10 UM506 module ("http://www.x10.com/automation/um506_s.html")
    which is basically a set of isolated contacts that can be set for
    momentary or sustained closure. Connect these contacts to the header on
    the motherboard (set for momentary). Then use an X10 tranceiver module,
    with remote, to control the UM506. this setup would cost around $35.

    On 1 Aug 2005 12:38:22 -0700 As Androids Dreamed Of Electric Sheep and
    then "Pat" <guinnes0@yahoo.com> wrote :

    >I am going to attach my pc to my LCD screen in my kitchen, the PC
    >itself is in a laundry room next door. I am going to run the wireless
    >receiver for the KB/mouse into the kitchen. The only thing left is the
    >power, does anyone have any ideas on how to power this pc on and off
    >from the other room? I don't know if its possible to wire a separate
    >switch from the motherboard/AT power supply... Any ideas?

    Send the,"Missus" to press the button :D

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,

    "Shep©" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message

    > Send the,"Missus" to press the button :D

    And bring another beer back with her !

    Pat wrote:

    > I am going to attach my pc to my LCD screen in my kitchen, the PC
    > itself is in a laundry room next door. I am going to run the wireless
    > receiver for the KB/mouse into the kitchen. The only thing left is the
    > power, does anyone have any ideas on how to power this pc on and off
    > from the other room? I don't know if its possible to wire a separate
    > switch from the motherboard/AT power supply... Any ideas?

    It would seem that no one noticed the "AT" in power supply up there and
    making the rash assumption you actually meant AT, and not ATX, then the
    easiest 'no wires' solution would be an X10 appliance module, and a
    controller of course. You plug the AT PC into it, leave the PC switch on,
    and turn it on/off with the X10 controller.

    With wires just use an extension cord and a switched outlet strip in the
    kitchen.

    Pat wrote:
    > I am going to attach my pc to my LCD screen in my kitchen, the PC
    > itself is in a laundry room next door. I am going to run the wireless
    > receiver for the KB/mouse into the kitchen. The only thing left is the
    > power, does anyone have any ideas on how to power this pc on and off
    > from the other room? I don't know if its possible to wire a separate
    > switch from the motherboard/AT power supply... Any ideas?

    Does your BIOS offer a power on option for the keyboard? Alternatively,
    why not just leave it running?

    Cheers,

    Ari

    http://www.abmdr.org.au/
    http://www.marrow.org/

    David Maynard wrote:
    > Pat wrote:
    >
    >> I am going to attach my pc to my LCD screen in my kitchen, the PC
    >> itself is in a laundry room next door. I am going to run the wireless
    >> receiver for the KB/mouse into the kitchen. The only thing left is the
    >> power, does anyone have any ideas on how to power this pc on and off
    >> from the other room? I don't know if its possible to wire a separate
    >> switch from the motherboard/AT power supply... Any ideas?
    >>

    > It would seem that no one noticed the "AT" in power supply up there and
    > making the rash assumption you actually meant AT, and not ATX,

    I noticed it, but I made the rash assumption that he meant ATX.

    SMS wrote:

    > David Maynard wrote:
    >
    >> Pat wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am going to attach my pc to my LCD screen in my kitchen, the PC
    >>> itself is in a laundry room next door. I am going to run the wireless
    >>> receiver for the KB/mouse into the kitchen. The only thing left is the
    >>> power, does anyone have any ideas on how to power this pc on and off
    >>> from the other room? I don't know if its possible to wire a separate
    >>> switch from the motherboard/AT power supply... Any ideas?
    >>>

    >> It would seem that no one noticed the "AT" in power supply up there
    >> and making the rash assumption you actually meant AT, and not ATX,
    >

    > I noticed it, but I made the rash assumption that he meant ATX.

    I know what you mean. I rashed both ways for a moment before rashly
    settling on AT ;)

    On 1 Aug 2005 12:38:22 -0700, "Pat" <guinnes0@yahoo.com> had a flock
    of green cheek conures squawk out:

    >I am going to attach my pc to my LCD screen in my kitchen, the PC
    >itself is in a laundry room next door. I am going to run the wireless
    >receiver for the KB/mouse into the kitchen. The only thing left is the
    >power, does anyone have any ideas on how to power this pc on and off
    >from the other room? I don't know if its possible to wire a separate
    >switch from the motherboard/AT power supply... Any ideas?

    From your description is an antique pc, use a X10 power module to turn
    it on and off.

    If it's a modern one, check the bios for power functions with the
    keyboard/mouse.

    Stephen

    On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 00:28:53 GMT As Androids Dreamed Of Electric Sheep
    and then "Gary C" <Clem_Kadiddlehopper@Crazy_Googinheimer.com> wrote
    :

    >"Shep©" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Send the,"Missus" to press the button :D
    >>

    >And bring another beer back with her !

    I particularly like the,"Another" :D

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,

    Pat wrote:
    > I am going to attach my pc to my LCD screen in my kitchen, the PC
    > itself is in a laundry room next door. I am going to run the wireless
    > receiver for the KB/mouse into the kitchen. The only thing left is the
    > power, does anyone have any ideas on how to power this pc on and off
    > from the other room? I don't know if its possible to wire a separate
    > switch from the motherboard/AT power supply... Any ideas?

    http://aaaremotes.com/houngadoreco.html

    Just hook the wires to the power switch terminals.

Homebuilt Power Systems