for a new build are these components compatible?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

1. i am contracting to have a pc built, i will spend 2-3K for the
complete build. below are the components chosen at this point but i
need suggestions on the motherboard, graphics card, and optical drives
if there are better available for the budget i have. pls feel free to
point out any conflicts or other improvements. i have an external
sound card, creative extigy that i intend to connect to the system.
use is home-small office-doom3.

lian-li PC-V2100B case
antec true power 2 sli at 12 v eps 550w power supply
abit av8 k8t800 motherboard
amd athlon 64 4000+ 1MB (939) processor
zalman cnps7000b -aicu cooling fan and kit
2 gig ddr400 3200 ocz memory (2 pcs)
wd74gb 10k primary hd
wd320 gb 7200 storage drive
soho16p9s dvd-rom
pioneer dvr-109bk dvd+/-rw
mitsumi floppy 7-1 usb card reader
radeon x800 pro 256mb graphics card
win xp pro w/sp 2

tia
9 answers Last reply
More about build components compatible
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    sstovall3@aol.com wrote:
    > 1. i am contracting to have a pc built, i will spend 2-3K for the
    > complete build.

    > lian-li PC-V2100B case
    > antec true power 2 sli at 12 v eps 550w power supply
    > abit av8 k8t800 motherboard
    > amd athlon 64 4000+ 1MB (939) processor
    > zalman cnps7000b -aicu cooling fan and kit
    > 2 gig ddr400 3200 ocz memory (2 pcs)
    > wd74gb 10k primary hd
    > wd320 gb 7200 storage drive
    > soho16p9s dvd-rom
    > pioneer dvr-109bk dvd+/-rw
    > mitsumi floppy 7-1 usb card reader
    > radeon x800 pro 256mb graphics card
    > win xp pro w/sp 2

    It all seems compatible at first blush.

    IMHO you are paying too much.

    BTW, why do you have two DVD drives? If you want to copy DVDs, the
    right software can do that with one DVD-RW drive.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 22:36:36 -0400, ToolPackinMama
    <laura@lauragoodwin.org> wrote:

    >sstovall3@aol.com wrote:
    >> 1. i am contracting to have a pc built, i will spend 2-3K for the
    >> complete build.
    >
    >> lian-li PC-V2100B case
    >> antec true power 2 sli at 12 v eps 550w power supply
    >> abit av8 k8t800 motherboard
    >> amd athlon 64 4000+ 1MB (939) processor
    >> zalman cnps7000b -aicu cooling fan and kit
    >> 2 gig ddr400 3200 ocz memory (2 pcs)
    >> wd74gb 10k primary hd
    >> wd320 gb 7200 storage drive
    >> soho16p9s dvd-rom
    >> pioneer dvr-109bk dvd+/-rw
    >> mitsumi floppy 7-1 usb card reader
    >> radeon x800 pro 256mb graphics card
    >> win xp pro w/sp 2
    >
    >It all seems compatible at first blush.
    >
    >IMHO you are paying too much.
    >
    >BTW, why do you have two DVD drives? If you want to copy DVDs, the
    >right software can do that with one DVD-RW drive.

    i am not sure of what the final price will be, my budget is 2-3k us, i
    intend to stay within that. i just put on 2 drives for convenience, i
    only have one on the notebook i use as my primary, my old dell had 2
    drives, with one being a burner....thanks...any other thoughts?
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    sstovall3@aol.com wrote:

    >On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 22:36:36 -0400, ToolPackinMama
    ><laura@lauragoodwin.org> wrote:
    >
    >>sstovall3@aol.com wrote:
    >>> 1. i am contracting to have a pc built, i will spend 2-3K for the
    >>> complete build.
    >>
    >>> lian-li PC-V2100B case
    >>> antec true power 2 sli at 12 v eps 550w power supply
    >>> abit av8 k8t800 motherboard
    >>> amd athlon 64 4000+ 1MB (939) processor
    >>> zalman cnps7000b -aicu cooling fan and kit
    >>> 2 gig ddr400 3200 ocz memory (2 pcs)
    >>> wd74gb 10k primary hd
    >>> wd320 gb 7200 storage drive
    >>> soho16p9s dvd-rom
    >>> pioneer dvr-109bk dvd+/-rw
    >>> mitsumi floppy 7-1 usb card reader
    >>> radeon x800 pro 256mb graphics card
    >>> win xp pro w/sp 2
    >>
    >>It all seems compatible at first blush.
    >>
    >>IMHO you are paying too much.
    >>
    >>BTW, why do you have two DVD drives? If you want to copy DVDs, the
    >>right software can do that with one DVD-RW drive.
    >
    >i am not sure of what the final price will be, my budget is 2-3k us, i
    >intend to stay within that. i just put on 2 drives for convenience, i
    >only have one on the notebook i use as my primary, my old dell had 2
    >drives, with one being a burner....thanks...any other thoughts?

    Donate a thousand dollars to charity and ask the members of this
    newsgroup to help you select parts for a system with a budget of
    ~1,500 bucks.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    thorn wrote:
    > sstovall3@aol.com wrote:

    >>i am not sure of what the final price will be, my budget is 2-3k us, i
    >>intend to stay within that. i just put on 2 drives for convenience, i
    >>only have one on the notebook i use as my primary, my old dell had 2
    >>drives, with one being a burner....thanks...any other thoughts?
    >
    >
    > Donate a thousand dollars to charity and ask the members of this
    > newsgroup to help you select parts for a system with a budget of
    > ~1,500 bucks.

    LOL ::high five!::

    Don't forget, he's also paying someone else to build it. Factor in what
    they should get paid.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 17:55:14 -1000, thorn <thorn@.usenet> wrote:

    >sstovall3@aol.com wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 22:36:36 -0400, ToolPackinMama
    >><laura@lauragoodwin.org> wrote:
    >>
    >>>sstovall3@aol.com wrote:
    >>>> 1. i am contracting to have a pc built, i will spend 2-3K for the
    >>>> complete build.
    >>>
    >>>> lian-li PC-V2100B case
    >>>> antec true power 2 sli at 12 v eps 550w power supply
    >>>> abit av8 k8t800 motherboard
    >>>> amd athlon 64 4000+ 1MB (939) processor
    >>>> zalman cnps7000b -aicu cooling fan and kit
    >>>> 2 gig ddr400 3200 ocz memory (2 pcs)
    >>>> wd74gb 10k primary hd
    >>>> wd320 gb 7200 storage drive
    >>>> soho16p9s dvd-rom
    >>>> pioneer dvr-109bk dvd+/-rw
    >>>> mitsumi floppy 7-1 usb card reader
    >>>> radeon x800 pro 256mb graphics card
    >>>> win xp pro w/sp 2
    >>>
    >>>It all seems compatible at first blush.
    >>>
    >>>IMHO you are paying too much.
    >>>
    >>>BTW, why do you have two DVD drives? If you want to copy DVDs, the
    >>>right software can do that with one DVD-RW drive.
    >>
    >>i am not sure of what the final price will be, my budget is 2-3k us, i
    >>intend to stay within that. i just put on 2 drives for convenience, i
    >>only have one on the notebook i use as my primary, my old dell had 2
    >>drives, with one being a burner....thanks...any other thoughts?
    >
    >Donate a thousand dollars to charity and ask the members of this
    >newsgroup to help you select parts for a system with a budget of
    >~1,500 bucks.
    >
    give me your list...
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    are you not going to spec a sound card?
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    No, as he has a Creative extigy he intends to use...


    --
    Tumppi
    Reply to group
    =================================================
    Most learned on nntp://news.mircosoft.com
    Helsinki, Finland (remove _NOSPAM)
    (translations from FI/SE not always accurate)
    =================================================


    "Carl" <me@theworld.universe> kirjoitti viestissä
    news:dcpqs1$kht$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
    > are you not going to spec a sound card?
    >
    >
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    > 1. i am contracting to have a pc built, i will spend 2-3K for the
    > complete build.

    Why?

    > below are the components chosen at this point but i
    > need suggestions on the motherboard, graphics card, and optical drives
    > if there are better available for the budget i have. pls feel free to
    > point out any conflicts or other improvements. i have an external
    > sound card, creative extigy that i intend to connect to the system.
    > use is home-small office-doom3.
    >
    > lian-li PC-V2100B case
    > antec true power 2 sli at 12 v eps 550w power supply
    > abit av8 k8t800 motherboard
    > amd athlon 64 4000+ 1MB (939) processor
    > zalman cnps7000b -aicu cooling fan and kit
    > 2 gig ddr400 3200 ocz memory (2 pcs)
    > wd74gb 10k primary hd
    > wd320 gb 7200 storage drive
    > soho16p9s dvd-rom
    > pioneer dvr-109bk dvd+/-rw
    > mitsumi floppy 7-1 usb card reader
    > radeon x800 pro 256mb graphics card
    > win xp pro w/sp 2

    Build it yourself, it's not hard, and save a whole lot! Look here:

    case: $290
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811112076

    PSU: $110
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103932

    motherboard: $98
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813127181

    CPU: $475
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103529

    HSF: $32
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118112

    memory: $225
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820146970

    HDD (Raptor): $186
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144160

    HDD (storage): $173
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144394

    DVD ROM: $21
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827131410

    DVD +-R/RW DL: $47
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827129161

    floppy/card reader: $21
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16821104104

    video card: $225
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102380

    Windows XP Pro w/ SP2 OEM: $147
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16837102153

    Total: $2050

    Now, some things to consider:

    The case is way more case, and the power supply is way more than this setup
    needs. Consider this instead:

    Antec Sonata II case with Antec SmartPower 2.0 450W PSU: $100
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811129155

    CPU is very fast, but very expensive. Do you need this kind of power?
    Consider this instead:

    AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice core: $246
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103533

    Motherboard was good a year ago or so, but now it's old tech and not very
    loaded with features like PCIe. Consider this, instead:

    MSI K8N Neo 4-SLI : $123
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813130487

    Video card is nice, but for a little more money, one can get an nVidia card
    that's faster. Consider this:

    AOpen GeForce 6800GT 256MB PCIe: $276
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814135154

    Raptor is fast, but RAID is faster. Consider a RAID 0 setup with 2 cheaper
    7200 rpm hard drives (on different motherboard than one that you chose):

    (2) WD 160GB 7200RPM 8MB cache SATA150 HDD's: $82 x 2 (164)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144152

    With these changes, you'll hardly notice any difference in speed, and games
    will probably have even better animation, even though they're running on a
    slower CPU thanks to the fast nVidia video card. And best of all, you'll
    save $507 (saving cost of aftermarket cooler as well - see below). Also, I
    agree with another poster about forgetting about a DVD ROM. It's only about
    $20, but I wouldn't bother unless I wanted to do a lot of CD to CD copying
    or something. Honestly, you're spending too much money in some places like
    the CPU and case, but not enough in others, like the motherboard, IMO.

    Lastly, your list looks like a smorgasboard for a good overclocker/modder,
    but if you're not willing to build it yourself, I highly doubt you'll have
    the nerve, initiative, or understanding to push your system via
    overclocking. Therefore, save some money and build a nice system for less.
    If you're not going to overclock, you're wasting your money on an
    aftermarket cooler. The factory AMD cooler will suffice for non-overclocked
    systems, and gone are the days the AMD provided a cheap, barebones cooler.
    They're on-par with Intel, these days.

    You can always come here to get help building, so long as you have an
    operable computer handy with an internet connection. We'll help you...
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 18:07:32 -0400, "Ruel Smith" <NoWay@NoWhere.com>
    wrote:

    >>
    >
    >Now, some things to consider:
    >
    >The case is way more case, and the power supply is way more than this setup
    >needs. Consider this instead:
    >
    >Antec Sonata II case with Antec SmartPower 2.0 450W PSU: $100
    >http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811129155
    >
    >CPU is very fast, but very expensive. Do you need this kind of power?
    >Consider this instead:
    >
    >AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice core: $246
    >http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103533
    >
    >Motherboard was good a year ago or so, but now it's old tech and not very
    >loaded with features like PCIe. Consider this, instead:
    >
    >MSI K8N Neo 4-SLI : $123
    >http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813130487
    >
    >Video card is nice, but for a little more money, one can get an nVidia card
    >that's faster. Consider this:
    >
    >AOpen GeForce 6800GT 256MB PCIe: $276
    >http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814135154
    >
    >Raptor is fast, but RAID is faster. Consider a RAID 0 setup with 2 cheaper
    >7200 rpm hard drives (on different motherboard than one that you chose):
    >
    >(2) WD 160GB 7200RPM 8MB cache SATA150 HDD's: $82 x 2 (164)
    >http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144152
    >
    >With these changes, you'll hardly notice any difference in speed, and games
    >will probably have even better animation, even though they're running on a
    >slower CPU thanks to the fast nVidia video card. And best of all, you'll
    >save $507 (saving cost of aftermarket cooler as well - see below). Also, I
    >agree with another poster about forgetting about a DVD ROM. It's only about
    >$20, but I wouldn't bother unless I wanted to do a lot of CD to CD copying
    >or something. Honestly, you're spending too much money in some places like
    >the CPU and case, but not enough in others, like the motherboard, IMO.
    >
    >Lastly, your list looks like a smorgasboard for a good overclocker/modder,
    >but if you're not willing to build it yourself, I highly doubt you'll have
    >the nerve, initiative, or understanding to push your system via
    >overclocking. Therefore, save some money and build a nice system for less.
    >If you're not going to overclock, you're wasting your money on an
    >aftermarket cooler. The factory AMD cooler will suffice for non-overclocked
    >systems, and gone are the days the AMD provided a cheap, barebones cooler.
    >They're on-par with Intel, these days.
    >
    >You can always come here to get help building, so long as you have an
    >operable computer handy with an internet connection. We'll help you...
    >
    >
    thanks ruel that was the kind of help i was looking for...will go back
    to my drawing board with your suggestions...
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems Product