HP PSC2410 MFP any good???

Futile Shop has these on for $289 Ca , with all the complaints of the Epsons and
Canons about plugging heads and excessive ink use due to cleaning cycles I was
tempted to go to HP, my old 930C still works but was looking for a new machine. But I
have read reviews stating that the software on this unit is like 400MB and very
"klunky" and at time has to be reloaded,(there is a "lite" bundle from the HP site
but it doesn't contain all the features) and that paper handling is not that great,
especially with thicker papers. I like the photo card slot and LCD screen feature.
Anyone have any thoughts on this unit??
Thanx
Stuuder

"Stuuder" <stuuder@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Futile Shop has these on for $289 Ca , with all the complaints of the Epsons
> and Canons about plugging heads and excessive ink use due to cleaning cycles
> I was tempted to go to HP, my old 930C still works but was looking for a new
> machine. But I have read reviews stating that the software on this unit is
> like 400MB and very "klunky" and at time has to be reloaded,(there is a
> "lite" bundle from the HP site but it doesn't contain all the features) and
> that paper handling is not that great, especially with thicker papers. I like
> the photo card slot and LCD screen feature. Anyone have any thoughts on this
> unit??

I saw in your follow-up post that you already bought it. I think you will like
this unit, it is faster and somewhat better print quality than your DeskJet
930. I use the PSC 2510 here, which is basically the same unit with built-in
networking. You might check the driver version on the CD you got and see if
the drivers on the HP web are newer. See:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?product=303753&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&submit.y=6&submit.x=7&lang=en&cc=us

Regards,

Well, I answered my own question, bit the bullet, paid $80 for 4 year full warranty,
took it home, read the instructions a lot of times, did as instructed, loaded the
full meal deal software (says 1G), does everything its supposed to do as far as I can
tell, haven't hooked up the fax yet as I am staying at my brother in laws place and
don't know yet if he wants me screwing with his phone setup. Got 14 days to return
it, no questions asked, tried my SM card in the slot, printed out a color picture,
(but without the photo cartridge), all works fine.Scanned, copied, printed.Initial
response......slightly mechanical sounding when loading paper, scanner quiet and
quick, quiet printing, easy to load cartridges. Hey its a MFP not a Bently...:) Stay
tuned.
Stuuder

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 20:44:28 -0700, "Bob Headrick" <bobh@proaxis.com>
wrote:

>I use the PSC 2510 here, which is basically the same unit with built-in
>networking.

Could you tell me about the networking part of your printer?
I noticed that the description in yours and the Deskjet 5850
that networking is "up to 5 users". What is the limitations
and how is it different from the regular jetdirect? Does it
means that it can handle five persons sending print jobs
simultaneously or is it that only 5 computers can have it
installed?

<VH> wrote in message news:hj7sl0l7ehmdre3l8uu1pnk9oupmkkajrc@4ax.com...

> Could you tell me about the networking part of your printer?
> I noticed that the description in yours and the Deskjet 5850
> that networking is "up to 5 users". What is the limitations
> and how is it different from the regular jetdirect? Does it
> means that it can handle five persons sending print jobs
> simultaneously or is it that only 5 computers can have it
> installed?

I am not sure - I *think* it is more a marketing positioning than a hard limit.
The PSC 2510 is rated a 5000 printed pages per month, much more than 5 users
with high usage would make a different printer more appropriate. Some of the
features may have a limit - for example, you can specify a computer to scan to
from the PSC's front panel. I recall there being only nine slots available for
preconfigured computers.

To get a better answer you might try posting on HP's IT user support group or
Business user groups at:
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/familyhome.do?familyId=228
or
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/familyhome.do?familyId=412

Regards,
MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Thanks.

The DJ 5850 was so cheap for a network printer that I
was wondering "what's the catch?"