Can't access laptop from desktop, but can access desktop f..

cartman

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2004

I have a network set up on Windows XP Home. My desktop is connected to a
router and the laptop is wireless. They both access the internet fine. I
can print from my laptop to a printer connected to the desktop. I can access
all files on the desktop from the laptop...but, I can not access any laptop
files from the desktop. I receive the following error, "You might not have
permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this
server to find out if you have access permissions. Access is denied."

I have gone to the Properties section of the folders in my laptop that I
would like to share and have checked "Share this folder on the network" and
"Allow network users to change my files."

I'm stumped. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

Hi
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"cartman" <cartman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a network set up on Windows XP Home. My desktop is connected to a
> router and the laptop is wireless. They both access the internet fine. I
> can print from my laptop to a printer connected to the desktop. I can
access
> all files on the desktop from the laptop...but, I can not access any
laptop
> files from the desktop. I receive the following error, "You might not
have
> permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this
> server to find out if you have access permissions. Access is denied."
>
> I have gone to the Properties section of the folders in my laptop that I
> would like to share and have checked "Share this folder on the network"
and
> "Allow network users to change my files."
>
> I'm stumped. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

stargazer

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2005

I have a similar problem. However, I have two related problems. My printer
is connected to a parallel port on the desktop. I can access all files on
the laptop from the desktop, but not vice versa. I also can't set up the
printer on the laptop ( not surprising, since the laptop can't "see" the
desktop").

Like "cartman" I'm also stumped. Any help would be greatly appreciated!