Sign in with
Your question

System files becoming corrupt after leaving computer off all day

Last response: in Windows 7
March 8, 2011 12:50:07 AM

Hello, I just built a new computer and I installed windows 7 and it worked fine all day. I shut it down the next morning before going to work and when i got home later i got tons of messages about processes not working and system files being corrupted. It wouldnt even stay turned on for long. I later reformatted and installed windows xp, it worked fine all weekend but when i turned it off before going to work on monday and came home later i got the same problem. I did several restarts while it was working and nothing bad happened, but when it was off for a long period it screwed it up on both operating systems. What is going on?
March 8, 2011 1:20:56 AM

I had this happen to me a couple of weeks ago and it ended up being the memory controller on the motherboard, but in order to help we need to know your system specs because your problem may not be the same as mine. Also, how old is the system?
m
l
March 8, 2011 1:38:31 AM

I just built this computer last monday. Specs are
64 bit
MB: MSI 870-g45
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4ghz
HD: Seagate Barracuda 7200 rpm 1tb
GPU: Asus Radeon HD 6850
DVD: Asus DRW-24B3ST
Memory: Corsair 2x2gb 1333mhz
PSU: Cooler Master GX750W
m
l
Related resources
March 8, 2011 1:43:40 AM

Check the HDD SMART data with HDtune and post pack what it come up with. Also do the benchmark on the drive and let us know what the max/min/avg write speeds and access time are.
m
l
March 8, 2011 1:45:28 AM

you might try seatools to. It is Seagates HDD tool.
m
l
March 8, 2011 1:57:15 AM

I'm on my old computer right now, can i just put the new hd into it and run the tests? I'm not sure i should be doing anything on the new one without the os reinstalled the way it is acting, seems like most of the drivers are completely screwed on it.
m
l
March 8, 2011 2:08:40 AM

You can.

If it is all new I would think about RMAing the board.

But check the HDD first.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 8, 2011 2:34:01 AM

The first obvious thing I would check first is to test the memory with a program such as memtest86. Be sure to run the test when the computer is cold and has been off for a long time and run the program over night.
m
l
March 8, 2011 3:11:16 AM

I ran a benchmark test with HD tune, here are the results;
132.2/66.3/103.3 Mb/sec
max/min/avg
13.7ms access time
I tried to check the SMART Data with seatools and it said test unavailable. Not sure how to check it with HD tune.

I'll have to test the memory after i reinstall/repair the OS as the pc probably wont stay on for very long. :fou: 

I downloaded a newer version of HD tune and under health it says N/A under status.
m
l
March 8, 2011 12:40:48 PM

You need to go into the BIOS and turn on the HDD SMART capability. Then Check with seatools again. The read speeds look ok.
m
l
March 8, 2011 11:19:23 PM

I went into the BIOS and checked the smart capability, it was enabled, but when I try to do a smart check with seatools it says test unavailable. I did a short smart test from the BIOS and it said pass. The only tests seatools will let me run are the generic ones and I did the short one and it said pass. It never says anything under the health status in HD tune.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 9, 2011 1:41:21 AM

Why are you concentrating on the hard drive? If the SMART test passes then the hard drive is ok. You should look to the memory instead.
m
l
March 9, 2011 1:53:16 AM

I guess i'll reinstall the os on the broken comp tomorrow after work and let it run the memory test, should be ok for that as long as i keep it turned on. Is it probably the motherboard thats broken or the ram?

Thx for all the help so far.
m
l
March 9, 2011 12:34:35 PM

pjmelect said:
Why are you concentrating on the hard drive? If the SMART test passes then the hard drive is ok. You should look to the memory instead.

Because the memory wont make the system services error and shut off and restart. It has to be a problem with the file system integrity and I gaurantee he has an NTFS error in the event viewer, Which would mean OS, HDD or storage controller.
m
l
March 9, 2011 10:33:58 PM

Ok, both operating systems did the same thing, so its probably not the OS. All HDD tests passed so probably not the HD. So is it probably the storage controller? If so is it possible to fix this without doing an RMA?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 9, 2011 11:30:29 PM

Quote:
Because the memory wont make the system services error and shut off and restart. It has to be a problem with the file system integrity and I gaurantee he has an NTFS error in the event viewer, Which would mean OS, HDD or storage controller.

The way I read it if the hard disk has been eliminated as the cause of the problem (as indicated by the SMART being ok) then the problem has to be because the erroneous data has been written to the hard drive by the processor, in which case faulty memory could well be the cause. Windows 7 is much more critical of the memory than other operating systems and a computer that may run fine with Windows XP will fail on Windows7 if there is ANY problem with the memory. Anyway it wouldn’t hurt or cost anything to run a memory test program such as memtest86.
m
l
March 10, 2011 11:33:01 AM

I agree with running memtest86. I didnt realize that he had run the SMART test in the bios already. I missed that post. Sorry.
m
l
March 12, 2011 4:38:23 PM

Ok, I ran memtest86 ram stick #1 in dimm1 for 15 passes and got 0 errors. the stick read as 666mhz (ddr1333)

I then ran stick #2 in slot and got an error on the fifth pass. The stick read as 200mhz (ddr400)

I ran stick #2 in slot 1 next and i got an error on the 3rd pass at the same address. The stick read as 666mhz (ddr1333)

I never overclocked the ram. I will run another test this evening.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 12, 2011 10:47:47 PM

Well I think that you have found the cause of your problem. Try running your computer with just the one good stick and see if your problem has gone away. Any error on the memory cannot be tolerated as a unpredictable computer is a broken computer.
m
l
March 16, 2011 3:43:48 AM

Well, it looks like it was a bad stick of ram. Since taking of the bad stick of ram i haven't had any problems.
Thanks for all of the help guys!! Greatly appreciated.
m
l
!