Front USB Ports

I've got my new box built, OS installed, and everything's running sweet,
except for the front USB ports on the case.

Case: Chieftec (Chenming) Bravo Series
Mobo: Asus A8V Deluxe

The mobo has four onboard ports, which work fine. It also has two dual
headers for additional ports. Plugging the cable from the case into the
header, the USB ports (only on the case) don't work. The mobo also came with
another dual port that can go into the back, filling one of the expansion
slots on the case. This dual port works.

Googling has led me to believe that the pin setup isn't in sync. The
schematics from both the mobo and the case, however, appear to match up.
The case also has audio, mic, and 1394 ports on the front. The audio and mic
work; unfortunately, I don't have any 1394-compliant devices with which to
test.

Has anyone run across this before? What tends to be the cause of this sort
of problem?

--
Mike T
Spiffy sig currently under development.

Mike T. wrote:
> I've got my new box built, OS installed, and everything's running sweet,
> except for the front USB ports on the case.
>
> Case: Chieftec (Chenming) Bravo Series
> Mobo: Asus A8V Deluxe
>
> The mobo has four onboard ports, which work fine. It also has two dual
> headers for additional ports. Plugging the cable from the case into the
> header, the USB ports (only on the case) don't work. The mobo also came with
> another dual port that can go into the back, filling one of the expansion
> slots on the case. This dual port works.

I have an Asus motherboard with a similar problem. Actually the front
USB ports fail with some devices (external disk drive) and work with
others, while the external drive works fine in other USB ports.

> Googling has led me to believe that the pin setup isn't in sync. The
> schematics from both the mobo and the case, however, appear to match up.
> The case also has audio, mic, and 1394 ports on the front. The audio and mic
> work; unfortunately, I don't have any 1394-compliant devices with which to
> test.

My front 1394 works fine.

My case is an Antec case.

Mike,

I have the same problem with my Chieftec case but I haven't bothered to
track the problem down.

I had a USB 2 PCI card with a 5th port for bringing ports to the front of
the case. I did have to purchase a SIIG USB bay adapter with 4 ports.

I'm using a SOYO i865 mobo; so it doesn't seem to be a board problem.

Wayne

"GuessWho" <me@privacy.net> wrote:

> I'm using a SOYO i865 mobo; so it doesn't seem to be a board
> problem.

I don't get it.

"Mike T." <trozzo@arcor.de> wrote:

> Case: Chieftec (Chenming) Bravo Series
> Mobo: Asus A8V Deluxe
> The mobo has four onboard ports, which work fine. It also has
> two dual headers for additional ports. Plugging the cable from
> the case into the header, the USB ports (only on the case) don't
> work. The mobo also came with another dual port that can go into
> the back, filling one of the expansion slots on the case. This
> dual port works.

You are plugging them into the same socket on the mainboard? Double
check that the plugs are correctly aligned with the sockets.

> Googling has led me to believe that the pin setup isn't in sync.

Before doing any soldering, you might want to determine that using a
continuity tester.

"John Doe" <jdoe@usenet.love.invalid> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> You are plugging them into the same socket on the mainboard? Double
> check that the plugs are correctly aligned with the sockets.

The block at the end of the cable is 2x5, and it's keyed so it can only go
on one way.

>> Googling has led me to believe that the pin setup isn't in sync.
>
> Before doing any soldering, you might want to determine that using a
> continuity tester.

I'm nowhere near that point yet, but I will take readings. I miswrote in my
original post. Instead of saying "isn't in sync", perhaps I should have said
"may not be in sync". I shouldn't rule out other possibilities.

--
Mike T
Spiffy sig currently under development.

Some board need the front ports turned on in the bios?

"BruceM" <bruce@@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Some board need the front ports turned on in the bios?

I don't believe that to be the problem since I connected the piece that came
with the mobo (that can be mounted in the expansion slot) to the header and
everything worked. That leads me to believe the mobo works fine. The problem
likely is one of two things:

1. The pinning of the ports on the case might not be in sync with the
pinning on the mobo, or
2. The ports on the case themselves may be defective.

I still need to do some testing. Outside of that, I'm ecstatic with how it's
all come out! I installed a Radeon 9600 VIVO card, the main reason being
that I wanted to digitize a number of important videotapes before they
degraded. I did my wedding video (married in 1999) today and it came out
great!

--
Mike T
Spiffy sig currently under development.

John Doe,

Mike T is using a Chieftec case with a Asus mobo and I'm using a Chieftec
case but with a Soyo mobo. Neither of us seems to be able to get the front
case USB ports to work and there is no way of mixing up the orientation of
the male / female connectors.

Hence my statement: "I'm using a SOYO i865 mobo; so it doesn't seem to be a
board problem."

Wayne

"John Doe" <jdoe@usenet.love.invalid> wrote in message
> "Mike T." <trozzo@arcor.de> wrote:
>
>> Case: Chieftec (Chenming) Bravo Series
>> Mobo: Asus A8V Deluxe
>> The mobo has four onboard ports, which work fine. It also has
>> two dual headers for additional ports. Plugging the cable from
>> the case into the header, the USB ports (only on the case) don't
>> work. The mobo also came with another dual port that can go into
>> the back, filling one of the expansion slots on the case. This
>> dual port works.
>
> You are plugging them into the same socket on the mainboard? Double
> check that the plugs are correctly aligned with the sockets.
>
>> Googling has led me to believe that the pin setup isn't in sync.
>
> Before doing any soldering, you might want to determine that using a
> continuity tester.

"GuessWho" <me privacy.net> wrote:

> John Doe,
>
> Mike T is using a Chieftec case with a Asus mobo and I'm using a
> Chieftec case but with a Soyo mobo. Neither of us seems to be
> able to get the front case USB ports to work and there is no way
> of mixing up the orientation of the male / female connectors.
>
> Hence my statement: "I'm using a SOYO i865 mobo; so it doesn't
> seem to be a board problem."
>
> Wayne

I appreciate the content of your reply.

Partly out of curiosity, why did you top post and reply in a
different sub thread?

Posting in context makes for much more efficient communications.

> From: "GuessWho" <me privacy.net>
> Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
> Subject: Re: Front USB Ports
> Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 10:22:38 GMT

John Doe,

I don't know what you mean by this: "why did you top post and reply in a
different sub thread? '

Sometimes these threads get long and confusing and I'm not sure who is
replying to what. Hence, I thought my last post to you was going to show up
immediately after your "I don't get it." posting. That didn't happen. Is
that what you mean by top posting / new sub thread?

"Mike T." <trozzo@arcor.de> wrote in message

> "John Doe" <jdoe@usenet.love.invalid> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>>
>> You are plugging them into the same socket on the mainboard? Double
>> check that the plugs are correctly aligned with the sockets.
>
> The block at the end of the cable is 2x5, and it's keyed so it can only go
> on one way.

Right. Even though the block is keyed, the pins/signals may not match. Had
that problem with Antec SLK3700BQE and MSI K7N2 motherboard.

Antec has made the blocks that hold the wires for the front USB ports so the
wires can be moved around within the block.
Apparently, there's [at least] two common configurations for the USB
wires/signals - and they are not pin compatible.

> I've got my new box built, OS installed, and everything's running sweet,
> except for the front USB ports on the case.
>
> Case: Chieftec (Chenming) Bravo Series
> Mobo: Asus A8V Deluxe
>
> The mobo has four onboard ports, which work fine. It also has two dual
> headers for additional ports. Plugging the cable from the case into the
> header, the USB ports (only on the case) don't work. The mobo also came
> with another dual port that can go into the back, filling one of the
> expansion slots on the case. This dual port works.
>
> Googling has led me to believe that the pin setup isn't in sync. The
> schematics from both the mobo and the case, however, appear to match up.
> The case also has audio, mic, and 1394 ports on the front. The audio and
> mic work; unfortunately, I don't have any 1394-compliant devices with
> which to test.
>

> Has anyone run across this before? What tends to be the cause of this sort
> of problem?

This used to be the case, as there wasn't a standardized pin layout for the
USB headers/cables. I had to change 2 wires on my Antec SX1040 case to work
on my Gigabyte GA-8IRXP board's headers. They were simply moved out of the
connector with a small tool and shoved into a different hole. However, the
newest boards/cases I've worked with have all hooked right up. Try hooking
up a rear D bracket USB to your header and see if it works. If so, then it's
a problem between the motherboard and case, if not, your problem is in the
motherboard/BIOS somewhere.

This is _top posting_...

> I don't know what you mean by this: "why did you top post and reply in a
> different sub thread? '

See above. See how you have to look around to find what is responded to? See
how this reply directly addresses the above quote instead of the reply ahead
of the quoted material? Intermixing your replies with the exact statement
you're replying to is the best way - less confusion. If you top post in a
Linux forum, you'll have a miserable time getting any replies at all that
aren't crude, not that you'd ever go there. Top posting is something
Microsoft did by default in Outlook Express, and it has made everyone lazy
about quoting and replying correctly.

> Sometimes these threads get long and confusing and I'm not sure who is
> replying to what. Hence, I thought my last post to you was going to show
> up immediately after your "I don't get it." posting. That didn't happen.
> Is that what you mean by top posting / new sub thread?

Hence, don't top post and keep it simple. Reply after the smallest section
of quoted material necessary and make it direct.

"fj" <jelenko@att.net> wrote in message

> "Mike T." <trozzo@arcor.de> wrote in message
>>
>> "John Doe" <jdoe@usenet.love.invalid> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>>>
>>> You are plugging them into the same socket on the mainboard? Double
>>> check that the plugs are correctly aligned with the sockets.
>>
>> The block at the end of the cable is 2x5, and it's keyed so it can only
>> go on one way.
>>
> Right. Even though the block is keyed, the pins/signals may not match.
> Had that problem with Antec SLK3700BQE and MSI K7N2 motherboard.
>
> Antec has made the blocks that hold the wires for the front USB ports so
> the wires can be moved around within the block.
> Apparently, there's [at least] two common configurations for the USB
> wires/signals - and they are not pin compatible.

One of those areas i really wish someone would standardize... be so nice to
have standard pin arrays for things like front audio connectors, usb, and
firewire. I liked that my antec case and asus mobo went together really
well, only thing i had to screw with pin for pin was the firewire port,
front audio, and front usb were set. My roomate on the ohter hand... same
motherboard... different case... and i had to screw aroud wiht every single
wire... for every single connector, sometimes haveing to guess wires on the
front audio connector cus they werent' labeled the same way from the case,
as the pin grid on the MOBO. And i just LOVE working my big hands in tiny
spaces, with even smaller components, that don't want to stay lined up.....

"fj" <jelenko att.net> wrote:
> "Mike T." <trozzo arcor.de> wrote in message
>> "John Doe" <jdoe usenet.love.invalid> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

>>> You are plugging them into the same socket on the mainboard?
>>> Double check that the plugs are correctly aligned with the
>>> sockets.
>>
>> The block at the end of the cable is 2x5, and it's keyed so it
>> can only go on one way.
>>
> Right. Even though the block is keyed, the pins/signals may not
> match. Had that problem with Antec SLK3700BQE and MSI K7N2
> motherboard.

My current main system is an SLK3700AMB and a MSI K7N2 Delta2-LSR
mainboard.

I just unplug my MX1000 laser mouse USB connector from the back
and plugged it into the front. Works just fine.

But I won't keep it there because I just ordered my first USB
flash drive and will want the front USB ports ready to go :)

> Antec has made the blocks that hold the wires for the front USB
> ports so the wires can be moved around within the block.
> Apparently, there's [at least] two common configurations for the
> USB wires/signals - and they are not pin compatible.

Standards are standards are standards. There might be some problem
with front USB ports but that would be a gross manufacturing
problem and would not be a problem with producing or following an
extremely simple electrical standard.

I doubt it is available, but inquiring minds need to know. If
possible, please provide references to serious writings that
support your claim about different USB port standards.

> From: "fj" <jelenko att.net>
> Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
> Subject: Re: Front USB Ports
> Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 13:24:36 GMT

"GuessWho" <me@privacy.net> wrote:

> I don't know what you mean by this: "why did you top post and
> reply in a different sub thread? '
> Sometimes these threads get long and confusing and I'm not sure
> who is replying to what.

There is a protocol here for clear communications that sets UseNet
apart from other forms of communications.

Simply put, it is to reply after relevant material.

> Hence, I thought my last post to you was going to show up
> immediately after your "I don't get it." posting. That didn't
> happen. Is that what you mean by top posting / new sub thread?

Apparently you are using Outlook Express which is correctly
including prior material. Replying after the relevant quoted
material will also help make sure you post in line.

In my opinion. If you are vision impaired, you have a pass on all
that and your mistake is no problem.

Have fun.

"Ruel Smith" <NoWay@NoWhere.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> This used to be the case, as there wasn't a standardized pin layout for
> the USB headers/cables. I had to change 2 wires on my Antec SX1040 case to
> work on my Gigabyte GA-8IRXP board's headers. They were simply moved out
> of the connector with a small tool and shoved into a different hole.
> However, the newest boards/cases I've worked with have all hooked right
> up. Try hooking up a rear D bracket USB to your header and see if it
> works. If so, then it's a problem between the motherboard and case, if
> not, your problem is in the motherboard/BIOS somewhere.

I did that, using the bracket that came withthe motherboard. That works just
fine, which leads me to believe that the case is the culprit. I'm trying to
contact Chieftec on this as well.
--
Mike T
Spiffy sig currently under development.

Mike,

I tried to contact Chieftec when I became aware of the problem. I didn't get
a response from then; so if you get a response would you post back here,
please?

I also read somewhere that Chieftec was similar to several other brand cases
and indeed they may all be made by the same gremlins. In fact, it was
mentioned that some Chieftec cases were very similar to some Antec cases.

Wayne

> "fj" <jelenko att.net> wrote:

>>> The block at the end of the cable is 2x5, and it's keyed so it
>>> can only go on one way.
>>>
>> Right. Even though the block is keyed, the pins/signals may not
>> match. Had that problem with Antec SLK3700BQE and MSI K7N2
>> motherboard.
>
> My current main system is an SLK3700AMB and a MSI K7N2 Delta2-LSR
> mainboard.
>
> I just unplug my MX1000 laser mouse USB connector from the back
> and plugged it into the front. Works just fine.
>
> But I won't keep it there because I just ordered my first USB
> flash drive and will want the front USB ports ready to go :)
>
>> Antec has made the blocks that hold the wires for the front USB
>> ports so the wires can be moved around within the block.
>> Apparently, there's [at least] two common configurations for the
>> USB wires/signals - and they are not pin compatible.
>
> Standards are standards are standards. There might be some problem
> with front USB ports but that would be a gross manufacturing
> problem and would not be a problem with producing or following an
> extremely simple electrical standard.
>
> I doubt it is available, but inquiring minds need to know. If
> possible, please provide references to serious writings that
> support your claim about different USB port standards.

Any chance you ever considered that the AMB version might be different than
the BQE one?
In any case, do you really think that there isn't an issue if I had to move
around the wires as I mentioned to get my front USB ports to work?
You might try reading Antec's User Manual.
Lastly, from usbman website:
"It is imperative that the specific USB pin out assignment for your
motherboard make and model is obtained from the maker before any attempt is
made to connect the cable to the motherboard. Simply knowing which pin is
#1 is not enough information to properly wire a USB port. Trial and error
will surely result in the destruction of the USB host controller, the
computer system and/or any attached peripheral. YOU MUST obtain the exact
USB pin out assignment from either the motherboard manual or the
manufacturers web site."

You might try knowing what your talking about next time. I have no problem
with helping when people make mistakes, but your wise ass attitude is not
appreciated.

"fj" <jelenko att.net> wrote:
>> "fj" <jelenko att.net> wrote:

>>> Antec has made the blocks that hold the wires for the front
>>> USB ports so the wires can be moved around within the block.
>>> Apparently, there's [at least] two common configurations for
>>> the USB wires/signals - and they are not pin compatible.

I think that is a silly idea.

> Lastly, from usbman website:
> "It is imperative that the specific USB pin out assignment for
> your motherboard make and model is obtained from the maker
> before any attempt is made to connect the cable to the
> motherboard. Simply knowing which pin is #1 is not enough
> information to properly wire a USB port. Trial and error will
> surely result in the destruction of the USB host controller, the
> computer system and/or any attached peripheral. YOU MUST obtain
> the exact USB pin out assignment from either the motherboard
> manual or the manufacturers web site."

I would look for a better source of information.

> From: "fj" <jelenko att.net>
> Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
> Subject: Re: Front USB Ports
> Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2005 01:39:00 GMT

"Mike T." <trozzo@arcor.de> wrote in message
> I've got my new box built, OS installed, and everything's running sweet,
> except for the front USB ports on the case.
>
> Case: Chieftec (Chenming) Bravo Series
> Mobo: Asus A8V Deluxe
>
> The mobo has four onboard ports, which work fine. It also has two dual
> headers for additional ports. Plugging the cable from the case into the
> header, the USB ports (only on the case) don't work. The mobo also came
> with another dual port that can go into the back, filling one of the
> expansion slots on the case. This dual port works.
>
> Googling has led me to believe that the pin setup isn't in sync. The
> schematics from both the mobo and the case, however, appear to match up.
> The case also has audio, mic, and 1394 ports on the front. The audio and
> mic work; unfortunately, I don't have any 1394-compliant devices with
> which to test.
>

> Has anyone run across this before? What tends to be the cause of this sort
> of problem?
>
> --
> Mike T
> Spiffy sig currently under development.

Worth checking on Chieftec website. I had problem with my front USB - MSI
KT6V LSR motherboard & Chieftec BX midi case.
The pins on case were correct number but not in right position form
motherboard - had to split 3-block pins with modelling knife into seperates.
Details on pin assignments for cases are on website.

HTH JonMaC