How to wire slave h/d ?

Can I use the h/d from my old computer with XP Pro, still full of
information & programs, as a slave in my new computer, also XP Pro? If so,
how do I jumper and cable it? There is be only 1 other ide, a dvd-burner.
I realize the hardware is different, but I don't wish to boot from it;
neither do I wish to re-format it. MS-regulations is not a concern. Thanks
for help. s

In article <%bFIe.5021$_41.2922@fe02.lga>, sdlomi2 says...
> Can I use the h/d from my old computer with XP Pro, still full of
> information & programs, as a slave in my new computer, also XP Pro? If so,
> how do I jumper and cable it? There is be only 1 other ide, a dvd-burner.
> I realize the hardware is different, but I don't wish to boot from it;
> neither do I wish to re-format it. MS-regulations is not a concern. Thanks
> for help. s

Set the jumpers on the drive to Slave. Stick it on an IDE cable
connector.

--
Conor

roby

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2004

sdlomi2 wrote:

> Can I use the h/d from my old computer with XP Pro, still full of
> information & programs, as a slave in my new computer, also XP Pro? If
> so,
> how do I jumper and cable it? There is be only 1 other ide, a dvd-burner.
> I realize the hardware is different, but I don't wish to boot from it;
> neither do I wish to re-format it. MS-regulations is not a concern.
> Thanks
> for help. s

XP will notice the additional drive and require re-registration.

"Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in message
> In article <%bFIe.5021$_41.2922@fe02.lga>, sdlomi2 says...
> > Can I use the h/d from my old computer with XP Pro, still full of
> > information & programs, as a slave in my new computer, also XP Pro? If
so,
> > how do I jumper and cable it? There is be only 1 other ide, a
dvd-burner.
> > I realize the hardware is different, but I don't wish to boot from it;
> > neither do I wish to re-format it. MS-regulations is not a concern.
Thanks
> > for help. s
> >
> Set the jumpers on the drive to Slave. Stick it on an IDE cable
> connector.
First of all, thank you. Are you saying that it WILL work ok even tho'
it was configured, formatted, and spent its earlier life on a completely
different machine? Is the problem only when you try to move such a h/d to a
new computer and use it as the ONLY or MASTER h/d? s

Jimbo

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2004

Say what??

I have installed, removed, added new bigger hard drives, used an
external USB hard drive and never once was I asked to "re-register" WinXP.

jimbo

Roby wrote:
> sdlomi2 wrote:
>

>> Can I use the h/d from my old computer with XP Pro, still full of
>>information & programs, as a slave in my new computer, also XP Pro? If
>>so,
>>how do I jumper and cable it? There is be only 1 other ide, a dvd-burner.
>>I realize the hardware is different, but I don't wish to boot from it;
>>neither do I wish to re-format it. MS-regulations is not a concern.
>>Thanks
>>for help. s
>

> XP will notice the additional drive and require re-registration.

yes, the poblem only occurs when it isn't a slave.
Putting it in as a slave will be the same as adding any
working drive to your system.
Because the programs have registered themselves with windows
when they were installed, and a different windows is running the system
some of them won't work. You'll just have to try and see what does
work and what doesn't program wise.
All of your data files will be accessable the same as they were
before. This is a good way to move all your files from an
old system to a new one. Just put the old one in as a slave,
copy the stuff to the new one, take the old out and you
have all your files on your new system.

alex

"sdlomi2" <sdlomi2@spam.yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> In article <%bFIe.5021$_41.2922@fe02.lga>, sdlomi2 says...
>> > Can I use the h/d from my old computer with XP Pro, still full of
>> > information & programs, as a slave in my new computer, also XP Pro? If
> so,
>> > how do I jumper and cable it? There is be only 1 other ide, a
> dvd-burner.
>> > I realize the hardware is different, but I don't wish to boot from it;
>> > neither do I wish to re-format it. MS-regulations is not a concern.
> Thanks
>> > for help. s
>> >
>> Set the jumpers on the drive to Slave. Stick it on an IDE cable
>> connector.
> First of all, thank you. Are you saying that it WILL work ok even tho'
> it was configured, formatted, and spent its earlier life on a completely
> different machine? Is the problem only when you try to move such a h/d to
> new computer and use it as the ONLY or MASTER h/d? s

The computer will not know NOT to boot from the slave drive since it also
has an OS on it.. That's a problem. Time for a reformat, I'm afraid.

--
DaveW

DaveW wrote:
> The computer will not know NOT to boot from the slave drive since it also
> has an OS on it.. That's a problem. Time for a reformat, I'm afraid.

Nonsense. The computer will boot from whatever is first in the boot
sequence and if that's the master drive then it doesn't matter whether you
have an OS or MP3s on the slave. It's just another collection of 1s and 0s.

On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 09:43:55 -0400 As Androids Dreamed Of Electric
Sheep and then Roby <roby@no-address.net> wrote :

>sdlomi2 wrote:
>
>> Can I use the h/d from my old computer with XP Pro, still full of
>> information & programs, as a slave in my new computer, also XP Pro? If
>> so,
>> how do I jumper and cable it? There is be only 1 other ide, a dvd-burner.
>> I realize the hardware is different, but I don't wish to boot from it;
>> neither do I wish to re-format it. MS-regulations is not a concern.
>> Thanks
>> for help. s
>
>XP will notice the additional drive and require re-registration.

Xp pro does not to this ;-)

--
Free Windows/PC help,

No.It won't. re-reg works on a point system.One extra drive won't add enough
points to require a re reg. Even so ,so what?

dawg wrote:

> No.It won't. re-reg works on a point system.One extra drive won't add
> enough points to require a re reg. Even so ,so what?
>
> "Roby" <roby@no-address.net> wrote in message
>> sdlomi2 wrote:
>>
>> > Can I use the h/d from my old computer with XP Pro, still full of
>> > information & programs, as a slave in my new computer, also XP Pro? If
>> > so,
>> > how do I jumper and cable it? There is be only 1 other ide, a
> dvd-burner.
>> > I realize the hardware is different, but I don't wish to boot from it;
>> > neither do I wish to re-format it. MS-regulations is not a concern.
>> > Thanks
>> > for help. s
>>
>> XP will notice the additional drive and require re-registration.

Interesting! Here's what happened:

I agreed to add a second HD to a friend's PC. Machine originally had
Windows ME, owner installed XP Home as an upgrade. retained the fat32
filesystem. I don't believe any hardware had been changed ... in fact, all
of the ribbon cables were still glued in place (a PowerSpec feature, I
guess).

I re-jumpered the existing drive from single drive to cable select. It was
on the end of the ribbon cable. Installed the second drive after setting
jumper to cable select.

I was surprised to have XP balk at boot-up with the re-registration
message ... seemed overly hyper. I disconnected the second drive, restored
the single-drive jumpering on original drive. Still yearned for it's
maker. Being a stubborn sort, I restored the full backup I had taken
before opening up the box. No joy.

I also tried setting up the drive jumpers as master/slave. No better.

I really hate to offer some help and end up returning a non-working box.

Any explanation as to what happened here?

Thanks!
Roby

That's wrong. There's nothing pionting to the added drive saying it has an
OS. If it's a slave and is configured correctly in the BIOS not to boot then
it won't. Just set the boot order in the BIOS to exclude the drive. Probably
not necessary anyway.