Windows Server 2003 & Win NT 4.0

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
October 25, 2004 11:31:03 PM

Hi everyone,

I have some questions regarding Windows Server 2003 co-existing with WinNT
4.0.

In my current NT4.0 domain, we have 1 PDC, 2 BDC and 4 apps/file servers
(all NT4.0). All of our workstations are still running Win98SE, with some in
WinME. I have the intention to upgrade the PDC and BDC to Windows Server
2003, and keep the apps/file servers running on NT4/0. The new upgraded
servers will run as logon servers to authenticate domain users (as PDC and
BDC?). Can this be done?
We would also like to upgrade all of our workstations to WinXP Pro, and hope
that the clients are able to connect to the WinNT servers for files and
running applications.

On the other hand, I am also looking into the possibility of only upgrading
the workstations to XP Pro and keep the WinNT4.0 domain running. Will the XP
Pro clients be able to logon to NT domain and running the logon BAT files
from the PDC/BDC?

Thanks and regards to all!
Anonymous
October 28, 2004 12:35:07 PM

You're better off upgrading the domain to Win 2003 and run in mix mode.
Windows NT support has ended. Upgrade the PDC first. The clients should not
have any connection issues once active directory and DNS is configured and
running. Windows 2003 server has wizards to help with anything.

!