Impossible approaches #1 - Courchevel

dallas

A cigar to anyone who can handle this in the sim...

Look hard and you'll see the runway in the upper left corner. Basically you
have a 350 meter runway with trees at one end and the face of the mountain
at the other:

(I do have 3rd party mesh, so I don't know what the default looks like.)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/Dallas52/Screenies/DeHavillandTwinOtterCourchevel014.jpg

Hey, the ole Twin Otter almost made it :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/Dallas52/Screenies/DeHavillandTwinOtterCourchevel006.jpg

Dallas

crash

Dallas wrote:
> A cigar to anyone who can handle this in the sim...

I don't smoke, but .75l of Herradura will suffice... d:->))

All ya gotta do is improvise a wee bit on the approach!
www.cox-internet.com/tazman/dh1.jpg
www.cox-internet.com/tazman/dh2.jpg
www.cox-internet.com/tazman/dh3.jpg
www.cox-internet.com/tazman/dh4.jpg
www.cox-internet.com/tazman/dh5.jpg
PS - will the passengers kindly remove their barf bags when they deplane.
Thank you!

Never have got my activation from photobucket, guess I need to pull their
chain....

Cheers'n Beers.. [_])
Don

dallas

"CRASH"
> All ya gotta do is improvise a wee bit on the approach!

Awesome!

I did an improv too.... I found that hitting reverse thrust while you are
on final "works a treat". Ruined 2 set of landing gear before I got it
right. :)

> Never have got my activation from photobucket, guess I need to pull their
> chain....

Yeah, that would have been a perfect slide show.

Dallas

crash

And I guess I don't get my Herrdura cause in my adrenalin high I called the
Otter a Beaver in frame 5.........
Hell, the only difference is the teeth and tail!!!

crash

Dallas wrote:
> I did an improv too.... I found that hitting reverse thrust while
> you are on final "works a treat". Ruined 2 set of landing gear

You can land the Lear on a carrier if you literally drop in on the fantail
(but DO NOT bounce) with the reversers on, brakes locked, BEFORE touch down,
and use the entire flight deck, forget that wimpy angle runway........
d:->))

dallas

"CRASH"
> And I guess I don't get my Herrdura cause in my adrenalin high I called
the
> Otter a Beaver in frame 5.........

How did we get from a 5cent cigar to a bottle of Herrdura?

I may have been born at night, but it wasn't last night! :p

Dallas

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 16:33:57 -0600, CRASH wrote:

> All ya gotta do is improvise a wee bit on the approach!
> www.cox-internet.com/tazman/dh1.jpg
> www.cox-internet.com/tazman/dh2.jpg
> www.cox-internet.com/tazman/dh3.jpg
> www.cox-internet.com/tazman/dh4.jpg
> www.cox-internet.com/tazman/dh5.jpg
> PS - will the passengers kindly remove their barf bags when they deplane.
> Thank you!

I guess we can change your name from "Crash" to "Short Stop"!
Good flying there, hoss!

Dallas: when at first you don't succeed.....give Don a call. :)

--

Marcel
(I've got a baaad feeling about this.....)

dallas

"Marcel Kuijper"
> Dallas: when at first you don't succeed.....give Don a call. :)

Yeah? Well it would have been a lot easier if the French would get off
their arses and chop those trees down! :p

Dallas

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Dallas wrote:

> A cigar to anyone who can handle this in the sim...
>
> Look hard and you'll see the runway in the upper left corner. Basically you
> have a 350 meter runway with trees at one end and the face of the mountain
> at the other:
>
> (I do have 3rd party mesh, so I don't know what the default looks like.)
>
> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/Dallas52/Screenies/DeHavillandTwinOtterCourchevel014.jpg
>
> Hey, the ole Twin Otter almost made it :)
>
> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/Dallas52/Screenies/DeHavillandTwinOtterCourchevel006.jpg
>
> Dallas

Cuban ?????? I'll fire up the HH-60.

A side note. Dalli, did you get all the thunder and lightning that came
through last night? It was so bad Psycho dog made it into the clothes
hamper and Balto was so scared he allowed Chica AND Costa (Costa looks
like your Collie) into the bed. And Chica doesn't even like the bed,
but at 4:00 am she was pressed up against Gabriella.

It sounds like more coming.

--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

crash

boB wrote:
> Cuban ?????? I'll fire up the HH-60.

Too late boBado - I knew you'd try something like that, and already claimed
the prize! The problem is collecting, since I don't smoke (or inhale when I
do :) and Dalliance isn't receptive to handing out prizes of equal value.
Like you, I thought he was offering a box of Cuban's, so I picked what I
thought was a respectable alternative, but "HA" Dalliance declares, "No way
Jose"....... See how he is??

But a pretty nice bloke otherwise....... d:->))

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

CRASH wrote:

> boB wrote:
>
>>Cuban ?????? I'll fire up the HH-60.
>>

> Too late boBado - I knew you'd try something like that, and already claimed
> the prize! The problem is collecting, since I don't smoke (or inhale when I
> do :) and Dalliance isn't receptive to handing out prizes of equal value.
> Like you, I thought he was offering a box of Cuban's, so I picked what I
> thought was a respectable alternative, but "HA" Dalliance declares, "No way
> Jose"....... See how he is??
>
> But a pretty nice bloke otherwise....... d:->))

Yep.... I keep waiting for Melissa to post her images as she lands her
bush plane on the first 1/3 of the runway. :)

--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

dallas

"CRASH"
> Like you, I thought he was offering a box of Cuban's, so I picked what I
> thought was a respectable alternative,

I was think more along the lines of one Swisher Sweet. : P

Dalliance

dallas

"CRASH"
> You can land the Lear on a carrier

Hey, you can drive a car with your feet... that doesn't make it a good idea.
:)

Dallas

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Dallas wrote:

> "CRASH"
>
>>You can land the Lear on a carrier
>

> Hey, you can drive a car with your feet... that doesn't make it a good idea.
> :)
>
> Dallas

Dalli has agreed to provide i each, swisher sweet, to whoever can tell
where this is. I don't think I have any scenery in this area but my
sliders are mostly to the right for the eye candy, so I think this is
default.

http://img140.exs.cx/img140/2716/strip029dc.jpg

--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Melissa wrote:

> Hi boB,
>
> On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 02:18:36 GMT, you wrote:
>

>>Yep.... I keep waiting for Melissa to post her images as she lands
>>her bush plane on the first 1/3 of the runway. :)
>

> I did manage to land the J-3 Cub very easily at the airfield, but
> unfortunately, something went wrong with the screen shot program I
> was using, and the only two decent shots I got of the landing were
> one on approach, and one with the plane already landed and stopped (I
> did use less than half the runway though!). :)

My FIRST hint was going to be that you, for sure, knew the location of
the field. :)

Since you already wrote it now some of the detectives may find it soon.

Good going!!!

What did you think when you first saw the strip?

--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

Tim

Dallas wrote:
> A cigar to anyone who can handle this in the sim...
>
> Look hard and you'll see the runway in the upper left corner.
> Basically you have a 350 meter runway with trees at one end and the
> face of the mountain at the other:
>
> (I do have 3rd party mesh, so I don't know what the default looks
> like.)
>
> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/Dallas52/Screenies/DeHavillandTwinOtterCourchevel014.jpg
>
> Hey, the ole Twin Otter almost made it :)
>
> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/Dallas52/Screenies/DeHavillandTwinOtterCourchevel006.jpg
>
> Dallas

Pity about the way FS9 can't handle sloping airfields and flattens
everything out. It looks totally different to the RW Courcheval airstrip as
in your earlier photos. Shame that so many interesting strips wind up with
unrealistic cliff faces behind them (try Lukla in Nepal - VNLK), or on top
of plateaus. I think that's MY primary wish for the next version - non-flat
airfields!

Tim

> Pity about the way FS9 can't handle sloping airfields and flattens
> everything out. It looks totally different to the RW Courcheval
> airstrip as in your earlier photos. Shame that so many interesting
> strips wind up with unrealistic cliff faces behind them (try Lukla in
> Nepal - VNLK), or on top of plateaus. I think that's MY primary wish
> for the next version - non-flat airfields!
>
> Tim

I like a bloke who has his priorities right. Non -flat airfields eh? Why
didn't I think of them?
What on earth could come second to that?

--
Quilly
Website

>> Pity about the way FS9 can't handle sloping airfields and flattens
>> everything out. It looks totally different to the RW Courcheval
>> airstrip as in your earlier photos. Shame that so many interesting
>> strips wind up with unrealistic cliff faces behind them (try Lukla in
>> Nepal - VNLK), or on top of plateaus. I think that's MY primary wish
>> for the next version - non-flat airfields!
>>
>> Tim
>
> I like a bloke who has his priorities right. Non -flat airfields eh? Why
> didn't I think of them?
> What on earth could come second to that?

I didn't think any of them were flat; I must investigate why I keep bouncing
up again!

Chris

Tim

Quilljar wrote:
>> Pity about the way FS9 can't handle sloping airfields and flattens
>> everything out. It looks totally different to the RW Courcheval
>> airstrip as in your earlier photos. Shame that so many interesting
>> strips wind up with unrealistic cliff faces behind them (try Lukla in
>> Nepal - VNLK), or on top of plateaus. I think that's MY primary wish
>> for the next version - non-flat airfields!
>>
>> Tim
>
> I like a bloke who has his priorities right. Non -flat airfields eh?
> Why didn't I think of them?
> What on earth could come second to that?

Not at my most perceptive today, as I've just come off night shift...but JIC
you're poking fun at me, I'll clarify my comment!

I was getting at the fact that FS doesn't seem to cope with elevation
changes across airfields but flattens everything, so runways are dead level
and the underlying mesh gets distorted such that the terrain looks
unrealistic.

If you WERE agreeing with me, and weren't having a dig at all, then I'll
just go and crawl back under my duvet until I feel more human....... :)

Tim

Hi Downloader,

Every time you do this with your chopper, screenshots, and captions,
it's a real adventure!!

That chopper develops a personality.

Fan bloody tastic, mate! :)

Regards,
John Ward
"boB" <akitaREMOVECAPS77@excite.Icom> wrote in message
> Dallas wrote:
>
> > "CRASH"
> >
> >>You can land the Lear on a carrier
> >

> > Hey, you can drive a car with your feet... that doesn't make it a good
idea.
> > :)
> >
> > Dallas
> >

> Dalli has agreed to provide i each, swisher sweet, to whoever can tell
> where this is. I don't think I have any scenery in this area but my
> sliders are mostly to the right for the eye candy, so I think this is
> default.
>
> http://img140.exs.cx/img140/2716/strip029dc.jpg
>

> --
>
> boB
>
> U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

John Ward wrote:

> Hi Downloader,
>
> Every time you do this with your chopper, screenshots, and captions,
> it's a real adventure!!
>
> That chopper develops a personality.
>
> Fan bloody tastic, mate! :)

Gee, Thanks John. I thought it would bore most everyone. :)

--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

Hi Melissa,

<Snippety snip>

"I did manage to land the J-3 Cub very easily at the airfield..."

Yeah right, sure, OK, got it...

Personally, I think you did another lawn dart effort which surpasses
your previous infamous effort, but you're too embarassed to post it!!

Correctamundo??? :))

Regards,
John Ward
"Melissa" <willkayakforfoodREMOVE_THIS@gmx.net> wrote in message

dallas

"Tim"
> Pity about the way FS9 can't handle sloping airfields and flattens
> everything out.

These guys made scenery correcting several Alps airports:
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/bravomike/altiports_fs20022.htm

And here's a discussion about implementing it:
http://www.flightsim.com/cgi/kds?$=main/feature/courch.htm

http://forums.simflight.com/viewtopic.php?p=206111

Sounds like a bit of work to get it right...

too much for me :)

Dallas