HP printer - ink level indication?

Anyone know if HP provide software with their printers for monitoring ink
cartridge levels?
Thanks

Don

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001

I have a 952C which came with their Toolbox software. It indicates inkl
level, but tends to show empty long before it actually runs out. It's a
good warning, though. I go ahead an use them until they run out, since
there is no"dry nozzle" problem with HP printers.

Don

"John Smith" <OrmesbyJohn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Anyone know if HP provide software with their printers for monitoring ink
> cartridge levels?
> Thanks

Mine's a 970Cxi..I wonder if Toolbox would be ok with that?..any idea where
I could find out and get a copy if so?
Thanks.
-----------
"Don" <nospam@please.gov> wrote in message
>I have a 952C which came with their Toolbox software. It indicates inkl
>level, but tends to show empty long before it actually runs out. It's a
>good warning, though. I go ahead an use them until they run out, since
>there is no"dry nozzle" problem with HP printers.
>
> Don
>
> "John Smith" <OrmesbyJohn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Anyone know if HP provide software with their printers for monitoring ink
>> cartridge levels?
>> Thanks

[This followup was posted to comp.periphs.printers and a copy was sent
to the cited author.]

In article <cjhj2o$4b9$1@news5.svr.pol.co.uk>, OrmesbyJohn@hotmail.com
says...
> Mine's a 970Cxi..I wonder if Toolbox would be ok with that?..any idea where
> I could find out and get a copy if so?

If you install the HOME version of the real HP drivers, AND have full
bidirectional communication, then the ink levels will be available in
the toolbox (accessible through the printer properties).

Also, you can find out your ink level on the printer itself:
Hold down the power button, then press the X button 4 times, then the
paper-feed button twice, then release the power button. You will get a
cartridge status sheet. Near the bottom is the estimated remaining ink
level. I=black, II=color.

Also, when one cartridge gets low enough, just open the cover. The
printer will stop in front of an icon molded into the back of the cover.
The one with one dot means black, 3 dots means color. This becomes
active at around 5% left. If it moves over the happy face, everything is
fine (as far as it knows.)

Finally, the ink level is only an estimate. The printer reads the
cartidge type to determine the amount of ink when new. It then keeps
track of the ink used, and keeps subtracting. Also, it only remembers
the current and previous cartridge of each type (black or color). If you
rotate between 3 cartidges, or put in a used cartridge from another
printer, it will think it's a new, full cartridge.

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross

"Andrew Rossmann" <andysnewsreply@no_junk.comcast.net> wrote in message
> [This followup was posted to comp.periphs.printers and a copy was sent
> to the cited author.]
>
> In article <cjhj2o$4b9$1@news5.svr.pol.co.uk>, OrmesbyJohn@hotmail.com
> says...
>> Mine's a 970Cxi..I wonder if Toolbox would be ok with that?..any idea
>> where
>> I could find out and get a copy if so?
>
> If you install the HOME version of the real HP drivers, AND have full
> bidirectional communication, then the ink levels will be available in
> the toolbox (accessible through the printer properties).
>
> Also, you can find out your ink level on the printer itself:
> Hold down the power button, then press the X button 4 times, then the
> paper-feed button twice, then release the power button. You will get a
> cartridge status sheet. Near the bottom is the estimated remaining ink
> level. I=black, II=color.
>
> Also, when one cartridge gets low enough, just open the cover. The
> printer will stop in front of an icon molded into the back of the cover.
> The one with one dot means black, 3 dots means color. This becomes
> active at around 5% left. If it moves over the happy face, everything is
> fine (as far as it knows.)
>
> Finally, the ink level is only an estimate. The printer reads the
> cartidge type to determine the amount of ink when new. It then keeps
> track of the ink used, and keeps subtracting. Also, it only remembers
> the current and previous cartridge of each type (black or color). If you
> rotate between 3 cartidges, or put in a used cartridge from another
> printer, it will think it's a new, full cartridge.
>
> --
> If there is a no_junk in my address, please REMOVE it before replying!
> All junk mail senders will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the
> law!!
> http://home.att.net/~andyross

TVM for comprehensive reply...I'll try what you suggest.