power supply wires cut

We recently found a fairly good computer but the power supply wires were
all cut. Would it be worth trying to splice them all back together, and,
if so, where would we find information on how to do it?

Thanks.
12 answers Last reply
More about power supply wires

    "*selah*" <pzion.naax@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > We recently found a fairly good computer but the power supply
    > wires were all cut. Would it be worth trying to splice them all
    > back together, and, if so, where would we find information on
    > how to do it?

    If it is a good power supply, it might be worth it.

    If I were you, I would ask someone who knows how to solder things.

    sounds like a nasty divorce, did she cut the mouse and keyboard cables
    too?..I would buy a new power supply.

    *selah* wrote:
    > We recently found a fairly good computer but the power supply wires were
    > all cut. Would it be worth trying to splice them all back together, and,
    > if so, where would we find information on how to do it?
    >
    > Thanks.

    I would be very careful with trying to use a power supply found with
    cut wires. Most often people cut such wires when a unit has a problem
    that can ruin other devices attached to it, and want to make sure the
    unit is NEVER used again. That might not be the case in your PS, but it
    might be that it destroyed a MB or other device and that is why it was
    taken out of service.

    Not really a safe thing to do. I'd buy a new PSU and install it.

    --
    DaveW

    "*selah*" <pzion.naax@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > We recently found a fairly good computer but the power supply wires were
    > all cut. Would it be worth trying to splice them all back together, and,
    > if so, where would we find information on how to do it?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Actually, I know who threw it out, and he thought that by cutting the
    wires he would prevent anyone from being able to use the computer. I
    think probably there is something on the hard drive that he didn't want
    anyone to see. (Someone who knows nothing about computers). I'm not
    really interested in whatever it is on the hd. Would connecting black to
    black - red to red, etc., succeed?

    *selah* wrote:
    > Actually, I know who threw it out, and he thought that by cutting the
    > wires he would prevent anyone from being able to use the computer. I
    > think probably there is something on the hard drive that he didn't want
    > anyone to see. (Someone who knows nothing about computers). I'm not
    > really interested in whatever it is on the hd. Would connecting black to
    > black - red to red, etc., succeed?

    Ah, so you're a stalker who goes around and takes home whatever this
    person throws out, and you want us to become accessories to your
    criminal activity?

    http://www.abmdr.org.au/
    http://www.marrow.org/

    "spodosaurus" <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote in message
    > *selah* wrote:
    > > Actually, I know who threw it out, and he thought that by cutting
    the
    > > wires he would prevent anyone from being able to use the computer. I
    > > think probably there is something on the hard drive that he didn't
    want
    > > anyone to see. (Someone who knows nothing about computers). I'm not
    > > really interested in whatever it is on the hd. Would connecting
    black to
    > > black - red to red, etc., succeed?
    > >

    > Ah, so you're a stalker who goes around and takes home whatever this
    > person throws out, and you want us to become accessories to your
    > criminal activity?

    Where did you study trolling?

    If I were interested in spying on the person who threw out the computer,
    I wouldn't need to rebuild this power supply. I could easily simply
    remove the hd and look at it in any of our functioning computers. Or I
    could have just bought a new power supply.

    You owe me an apology - or are you just a troll?

    *selah* wrote:
    > If I were interested in spying on the person who threw out the computer,
    > I wouldn't need to rebuild this power supply. I could easily simply
    > remove the hd and look at it in any of our functioning computers. Or I
    > could have just bought a new power supply.
    >
    > You owe me an apology - or are you just a troll?

    Keep trying to justify it, maybe someone someday will believe you.

    http://www.abmdr.org.au/
    http://www.marrow.org/

    spodosaurus wrote:
    > *selah* wrote:
    >
    >> If I were interested in spying on the person who threw out the computer,
    >> I wouldn't need to rebuild this power supply. I could easily simply
    >> remove the hd and look at it in any of our functioning computers. Or I
    >> could have just bought a new power supply.
    >>
    >> You owe me an apology - or are you just a troll?
    >>

    > Keep trying to justify it, maybe someone someday will believe you.

    There is nothing wrong with salvaging a discarded computer... period

    David Maynard wrote:
    > spodosaurus wrote:
    >
    >> *selah* wrote:
    >>
    >>> If I were interested in spying on the person who threw out the computer,
    >>> I wouldn't need to rebuild this power supply. I could easily simply
    >>> remove the hd and look at it in any of our functioning computers. Or I
    >>> could have just bought a new power supply.
    >>>
    >>> You owe me an apology - or are you just a troll?
    >>>

    >> Keep trying to justify it, maybe someone someday will believe you.
    >>

    > There is nothing wrong with salvaging a discarded computer... period

    Yeah, but trying to 'salvage' a computer because you're stalking someone
    and want to mess with them is a different matter entirely! ;-)

    http://www.abmdr.org.au/
    http://www.marrow.org/

    spodosaurus wrote:

    > David Maynard wrote:
    >
    >> spodosaurus wrote:

    >>> Keep trying to justify it, maybe someone someday will believe you.
    >>>

    >> There is nothing wrong with salvaging a discarded computer... period
    >>

    > Yeah, but trying to 'salvage' a computer because you're stalking someone
    > and want to mess with them is a different matter entirely! ;-)

    That was your whole cloth invention, ";-)" notwithstanding.

Homebuilt Hardware Power Supplies Systems