power supply wires cut

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
August 9, 2005 7:29:25 AM

We recently found a fairly good computer but the power supply wires were
all cut. Would it be worth trying to splice them all back together, and,
if so, where would we find information on how to do it?

Thanks.

More about : power supply wires cut

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
August 9, 2005 11:57:02 AM

"*selah*" <pzion.naax@yahoo.com> wrote:

> We recently found a fairly good computer but the power supply
> wires were all cut. Would it be worth trying to splice them all
> back together, and, if so, where would we find information on
> how to do it?

If it is a good power supply, it might be worth it.

If I were you, I would ask someone who knows how to solder things.
August 9, 2005 12:11:50 PM

sounds like a nasty divorce, did she cut the mouse and keyboard cables
too?..I would buy a new power supply.

"*selah*" <pzion.naax@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:D d9lvi018be@news1.newsguy.com...
> We recently found a fairly good computer but the power supply wires were
> all cut. Would it be worth trying to splice them all back together, and,
> if so, where would we find information on how to do it?
>
> Thanks.

Related resources
August 9, 2005 3:42:32 PM

*selah* wrote:
> We recently found a fairly good computer but the power supply wires were
> all cut. Would it be worth trying to splice them all back together, and,
> if so, where would we find information on how to do it?
>
> Thanks.

I would be very careful with trying to use a power supply found with
cut wires. Most often people cut such wires when a unit has a problem
that can ruin other devices attached to it, and want to make sure the
unit is NEVER used again. That might not be the case in your PS, but it
might be that it destroyed a MB or other device and that is why it was
taken out of service.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
August 9, 2005 8:26:10 PM

Not really a safe thing to do. I'd buy a new PSU and install it.

--
DaveW

"*selah*" <pzion.naax@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:D d9lvi018be@news1.newsguy.com...
> We recently found a fairly good computer but the power supply wires were
> all cut. Would it be worth trying to splice them all back together, and,
> if so, where would we find information on how to do it?
>
> Thanks.

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
August 10, 2005 8:00:47 AM

Actually, I know who threw it out, and he thought that by cutting the
wires he would prevent anyone from being able to use the computer. I
think probably there is something on the hard drive that he didn't want
anyone to see. (Someone who knows nothing about computers). I'm not
really interested in whatever it is on the hd. Would connecting black to
black - red to red, etc., succeed?

"Ken" <user@domain.invalid> wrote in message
> *selah* wrote:
> > We recently found a fairly good computer but the power supply wires
were
> > all cut. Would it be worth trying to splice them all back together,
and,
> > if so, where would we find information on how to do it?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >

> I would be very careful with trying to use a power supply found with
> cut wires. Most often people cut such wires when a unit has a problem
> that can ruin other devices attached to it, and want to make sure the
> unit is NEVER used again. That might not be the case in your PS, but
it
> might be that it destroyed a MB or other device and that is why it was
> taken out of service.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
August 10, 2005 10:06:47 PM

*selah* wrote:
> Actually, I know who threw it out, and he thought that by cutting the
> wires he would prevent anyone from being able to use the computer. I
> think probably there is something on the hard drive that he didn't want
> anyone to see. (Someone who knows nothing about computers). I'm not
> really interested in whatever it is on the hd. Would connecting black to
> black - red to red, etc., succeed?

Ah, so you're a stalker who goes around and takes home whatever this
person throws out, and you want us to become accessories to your
criminal activity?

> "Ken" <user@domain.invalid> wrote in message
>
>>*selah* wrote:
>>
>>>We recently found a fairly good computer but the power supply wires
>
> were
>
>>>all cut. Would it be worth trying to splice them all back together,
>
> and,
>
>>>if so, where would we find information on how to do it?
>>>
>>>Thanks.
>>>

>>I would be very careful with trying to use a power supply found with
>>cut wires. Most often people cut such wires when a unit has a problem
>>that can ruin other devices attached to it, and want to make sure the
>>unit is NEVER used again. That might not be the case in your PS, but
>
> it
>
>>might be that it destroyed a MB or other device and that is why it was
>>taken out of service.

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
August 11, 2005 9:44:16 AM

"spodosaurus" <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote in message
> *selah* wrote:
> > Actually, I know who threw it out, and he thought that by cutting
the
> > wires he would prevent anyone from being able to use the computer. I
> > think probably there is something on the hard drive that he didn't
want
> > anyone to see. (Someone who knows nothing about computers). I'm not
> > really interested in whatever it is on the hd. Would connecting
black to
> > black - red to red, etc., succeed?
> >

> Ah, so you're a stalker who goes around and takes home whatever this
> person throws out, and you want us to become accessories to your
> criminal activity?

Where did you study trolling?
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
August 12, 2005 8:03:38 AM

If I were interested in spying on the person who threw out the computer,
I wouldn't need to rebuild this power supply. I could easily simply
remove the hd and look at it in any of our functioning computers. Or I
could have just bought a new power supply.

You owe me an apology - or are you just a troll?

"spodosaurus" <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote in message
> *selah* wrote:
> > Actually, I know who threw it out, and he thought that by cutting
the
> > wires he would prevent anyone from being able to use the computer. I
> > think probably there is something on the hard drive that he didn't
want
> > anyone to see. (Someone who knows nothing about computers). I'm not
> > really interested in whatever it is on the hd. Would connecting
black to
> > black - red to red, etc., succeed?
> >

> Ah, so you're a stalker who goes around and takes home whatever this
> person throws out, and you want us to become accessories to your
> criminal activity?
>
> > "Ken" <user@domain.invalid> wrote in message

> > were

> > and,

> >>I would be very careful with trying to use a power supply found with
> >>cut wires. Most often people cut such wires when a unit has a
problem
> >>that can ruin other devices attached to it, and want to make sure
the
> >>unit is NEVER used again. That might not be the case in your PS,
but

> > it
> >
> >>might be that it destroyed a MB or other device and that is why it
was
> >>taken out of service.
> >

> --
> spammage trappage: replace fishies_ with yahoo
>
> I'm going to die rather sooner than I'd like. I tried to protect my
> neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. Complications in
> hospital following this resulted in a serious illness. I now need a
bone
> marrow transplant. Many people around the world are waiting for a
marrow
> transplant, too. Please volunteer to be a marrow donor:
> http://www.abmdr.org.au/
> http://www.marrow.org/
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
August 12, 2005 10:33:02 PM

*selah* wrote:
> If I were interested in spying on the person who threw out the computer,
> I wouldn't need to rebuild this power supply. I could easily simply
> remove the hd and look at it in any of our functioning computers. Or I
> could have just bought a new power supply.
>
> You owe me an apology - or are you just a troll?

Keep trying to justify it, maybe someone someday will believe you.

> "spodosaurus" <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote in message
>
>>*selah* wrote:
>>
>>>Actually, I know who threw it out, and he thought that by cutting
>
> the
>
>>>wires he would prevent anyone from being able to use the computer. I
>>>think probably there is something on the hard drive that he didn't
>
> want
>
>>>anyone to see. (Someone who knows nothing about computers). I'm not
>>>really interested in whatever it is on the hd. Would connecting
>
> black to
>
>>>black - red to red, etc., succeed?
>>>

>>Ah, so you're a stalker who goes around and takes home whatever this
>>person throws out, and you want us to become accessories to your
>>criminal activity?
>>

>>>"Ken" <user@domain.invalid> wrote in message

>>>were

>>>and,

> problem

> the

> but
>
>>>it

> was

>>--
>>spammage trappage: replace fishies_ with yahoo
>>
>>I'm going to die rather sooner than I'd like. I tried to protect my
>>neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. Complications in
>>hospital following this resulted in a serious illness. I now need a
>
> bone
>
>>marrow transplant. Many people around the world are waiting for a
>
> marrow
>
>>transplant, too. Please volunteer to be a marrow donor:
>>http://www.abmdr.org.au/
>>http://www.marrow.org/

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
August 12, 2005 10:33:03 PM

spodosaurus wrote:
> *selah* wrote:
>
>> If I were interested in spying on the person who threw out the computer,
>> I wouldn't need to rebuild this power supply. I could easily simply
>> remove the hd and look at it in any of our functioning computers. Or I
>> could have just bought a new power supply.
>>
>> You owe me an apology - or are you just a troll?
>>

> Keep trying to justify it, maybe someone someday will believe you.

There is nothing wrong with salvaging a discarded computer... period
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
August 13, 2005 3:18:03 AM

David Maynard wrote:
> spodosaurus wrote:
>
>> *selah* wrote:
>>
>>> If I were interested in spying on the person who threw out the computer,
>>> I wouldn't need to rebuild this power supply. I could easily simply
>>> remove the hd and look at it in any of our functioning computers. Or I
>>> could have just bought a new power supply.
>>>
>>> You owe me an apology - or are you just a troll?
>>>

>> Keep trying to justify it, maybe someone someday will believe you.
>>

> There is nothing wrong with salvaging a discarded computer... period

Yeah, but trying to 'salvage' a computer because you're stalking someone
and want to mess with them is a different matter entirely! ;-)

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
August 13, 2005 3:18:04 AM

spodosaurus wrote:

> David Maynard wrote:
>
>> spodosaurus wrote:

>>> Keep trying to justify it, maybe someone someday will believe you.
>>>

>> There is nothing wrong with salvaging a discarded computer... period
>>

> Yeah, but trying to 'salvage' a computer because you're stalking someone
> and want to mess with them is a different matter entirely! ;-)

That was your whole cloth invention, ";-)" notwithstanding.
!