JOINING the NT DOMAIN fails

When I try to join the nt domain that we have and been using it for many
years now I get an error that the domain name could not be found I restarted
the BDC as well as PDC but no success.Please help
Thanks

--
Tony Zarafshar

Hi Tony,
What OS is running on the client? Can you ping
the PDC and BDC by tcp/ip address?

"TONY_ZAR" <TONYZAR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
> When I try to join the nt domain that we have and been using it for
many
> years now I get an error that the domain name could not be found I
restarted
> the BDC as well as PDC but no success.Please help
> Thanks
>
> --
> Tony Zarafshar

Hi Thanks for the reply
Well I can ping BDC but not PDC
Thanks again

"Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" wrote:

> Hi Tony,
> What OS is running on the client? Can you ping
> the PDC and BDC by tcp/ip address?
>
> "TONY_ZAR" <TONYZAR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
> > When I try to join the nt domain that we have and been using it for
> many
> > years now I get an error that the domain name could not be found I
> restarted
> > the BDC as well as PDC but no success.Please help
> > Thanks
> >
> > --
> > Tony Zarafshar

The os is WIN 2000 and I can ping the BDC but not PDC
thanks for the reply

"Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" wrote:

> Hi Tony,
> What OS is running on the client? Can you ping
> the PDC and BDC by tcp/ip address?
>
> "TONY_ZAR" <TONYZAR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
> > When I try to join the nt domain that we have and been using it for
> many
> > years now I get an error that the domain name could not be found I
> restarted
> > the BDC as well as PDC but no success.Please help
> > Thanks
> >
> > --
> > Tony Zarafshar

In order for the client to join the domain successfully in
an NT 4.0 domain the PDC must be contacted because
it holds the only modifiable copy of the SAM database
so to speak. The fact thaty ou cannot ping by tcp/ip address
the PDC could mean any number of things from NIC to
routing or cable. Can the BDC ping the PDC?

"TONY_ZAR" <TONYZAR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
> The os is WIN 2000 and I can ping the BDC but not PDC
> thanks for the reply

Well No the BDC can not ping the PDC but the point is that the other systems
that already have joined the domain see both PDC and BDC with no problem and
can use the files and applications in both servers.

"Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" wrote:

> In order for the client to join the domain successfully in
> an NT 4.0 domain the PDC must be contacted because
> it holds the only modifiable copy of the SAM database
> so to speak. The fact thaty ou cannot ping by tcp/ip address
> the PDC could mean any number of things from NIC to
> routing or cable. Can the BDC ping the PDC?
>
> "TONY_ZAR" <TONYZAR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
> > The os is WIN 2000 and I can ping the BDC but not PDC
> > thanks for the reply

Also From The PDC I can ping BDC and other systems with no problem

"Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" wrote:

> In order for the client to join the domain successfully in
> an NT 4.0 domain the PDC must be contacted because
> it holds the only modifiable copy of the SAM database
> so to speak. The fact thaty ou cannot ping by tcp/ip address
> the PDC could mean any number of things from NIC to
> routing or cable. Can the BDC ping the PDC?
>
> "TONY_ZAR" <TONYZAR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
> > The os is WIN 2000 and I can ping the BDC but not PDC
> > thanks for the reply

It is possible ICMP packets are being blocked for security
purposes. If you are running WINS then make sure the W2k
client is pointing towards the WINS server. If you aren't
running WINS then you may want to think about configuring
a WINS server for you NT 4.0 domain.

"TONY_ZAR" <TONYZAR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
> Well No the BDC can not ping the PDC but the point is that the other
systems
> that already have joined the domain see both PDC and BDC with no
problem and
> can use the files and applications in both servers.

Well I tried the Wins and no luck.

"Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" wrote:

> It is possible ICMP packets are being blocked for security
> purposes. If you are running WINS then make sure the W2k
> client is pointing towards the WINS server. If you aren't
> running WINS then you may want to think about configuring
> a WINS server for you NT 4.0 domain.
>
> "TONY_ZAR" <TONYZAR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
> > Well No the BDC can not ping the PDC but the point is that the other
> systems
> > that already have joined the domain see both PDC and BDC with no
> problem and
> > can use the files and applications in both servers.

Netbios over tcp/ip is enabled?