Hi. I'm in need of some help. My computer arrived today, unfortunately it's
not working. The motherboard is a MSI K8T Neo2-F. When I installed the
video card, an ATI All-in Wonder 9600, and turned the computer on, the fan
started but there was no video signal. I went ahead and added the hard
drive, but still no video. I contacted the vendor for some troubleshooting.
I noticed the USB had four red lights. After unplugging everything then
reconnecting, the four red lights went away. But still no video. I tried 2
different PCI video cards and using a different monitor but nothing worked.
I contacted MSI tech support and tried the following:

Changing the memory (2 sticks of 512 MB PC 3200) from slots 1 and 2 to slots
2 and 4.

Resetting the cmos.

Still no video. MSI suggesting sending it back. Any ideas before I have to
send the system back?

"Arthur Lipscomb" <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote in message
> Hi. I'm in need of some help. My computer arrived today, unfortunately
> it's not working. The motherboard is a MSI K8T Neo2-F. When I installed
> the video card, an ATI All-in Wonder 9600, and turned the computer on, the
> fan started but there was no video signal. I went ahead and added the
> hard drive, but still no video. I contacted the vendor for some
> troubleshooting. I noticed the USB had four red lights. After unplugging
> everything then reconnecting, the four red lights went away. But still no
> video. I tried 2 different PCI video cards and using a different monitor
> but nothing worked. I contacted MSI tech support and tried the following:
>

> Changing the memory (2 sticks of 512 MB PC 3200) from slots 1 and 2 to
> slots 2 and 4.
>
> Resetting the cmos.
>

> Still no video. MSI suggesting sending it back. Any ideas before I have
> to send the system back?

Yeah, you mentioned PCI video cards. Is your BIOS setup for PCI video cards
instead of AGP? Check your settings.

"Ruel Smith" <NoWay@NoWhere.com> wrote in message

> "Arthur Lipscomb" <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote in message
>> Hi. I'm in need of some help. My computer arrived today, unfortunately
>> it's not working. The motherboard is a MSI K8T Neo2-F. When I installed
>> the video card, an ATI All-in Wonder 9600, and turned the computer on,
>> the fan started but there was no video signal. I went ahead and added
>> the hard drive, but still no video. I contacted the vendor for some
>> troubleshooting. I noticed the USB had four red lights. After unplugging
>> everything then reconnecting, the four red lights went away. But still
>> no video. I tried 2 different PCI video cards and using a different
>> monitor but nothing worked. I contacted MSI tech support and tried the
>> following:
>>

>> Changing the memory (2 sticks of 512 MB PC 3200) from slots 1 and 2 to
>> slots 2 and 4.
>>
>> Resetting the cmos.
>>

>> Still no video. MSI suggesting sending it back. Any ideas before I have
>> to send the system back?
>
> Yeah, you mentioned PCI video cards. Is your BIOS setup for PCI video
> cards instead of AGP? Check your settings.

Thanks. But unfortunately, I cannot access the bios or anything else. When
I press the power button the only thing that happens is the fans start.
There aren't even any beeps. I'm almost certain the problem is with either
the motherboard or the CPU. According to the manual the four red lights
means there's a problem with the CPU. And MSI tech thought the problem
might be a short in the board.

Ruel Smith wrote:

> "Arthur Lipscomb" <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote in message
>
>>Hi. I'm in need of some help. My computer arrived today, unfortunately
>>it's not working. The motherboard is a MSI K8T Neo2-F. When I installed
>>the video card, an ATI All-in Wonder 9600, and turned the computer on, the
>>fan started but there was no video signal. I went ahead and added the
>>hard drive, but still no video. I contacted the vendor for some
>>troubleshooting. I noticed the USB had four red lights. After unplugging
>>everything then reconnecting, the four red lights went away. But still no
>>video. I tried 2 different PCI video cards and using a different monitor
>>but nothing worked. I contacted MSI tech support and tried the following:
>>

>>Changing the memory (2 sticks of 512 MB PC 3200) from slots 1 and 2 to
>>slots 2 and 4.
>>
>>Resetting the cmos.
>>

>>Still no video. MSI suggesting sending it back. Any ideas before I have
>>to send the system back?
>

> Yeah, you mentioned PCI video cards. Is your BIOS setup for PCI video cards
> instead of AGP? Check your settings.

That setting is only used to tell the system which display is to be primary
(initialize first) when there are two adapters and does nothing if there is
only one.

Please tell us what sort of mouse & keyboard you have. (plugged into not
brand)

BruceM wrote:

> Please tell us what sort of mouse & keyboard you have. (plugged into not
> brand)

PS2

So what does that have to do with which display card gets initialized first?

> "David Maynard" <nospam@private.net> wrote in message
>
>>Ruel Smith wrote:
>>

>>>"Arthur Lipscomb" <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote in message

>>>Yeah, you mentioned PCI video cards. Is your BIOS setup for PCI video
>>>cards instead of AGP? Check your settings.
>>
>>That setting is only used to tell the system which display is to be
>>primary (initialize first) when there are two adapters and does nothing if
>>there is only one.

There's a possibility that the cpu could need reseating or that the cpu fan
connector simply needs reseating to the fan connector on the mb. I would be
cautious about removing the HSF though as the company may void your warranty
should they notice that the thermal square was buggered from HSF's removal.
Additionally, if you can check this machine with a different AGP graphics
card, rather than a PCI card you might get some action. I have noticed on
occasion a PCI graphics card not working on some newer mbs.

--
Jan Alter
bearpuf@verizon.net
> BruceM wrote:
>
>> Please tell us what sort of mouse & keyboard you have. (plugged into not
>> brand)
>
> PS2
>
> So what does that have to do with which display card gets initialized
> first?
>

>> "David Maynard" <nospam@private.net> wrote in message

>>>That setting is only used to tell the system which display is to be
>>>primary (initialize first) when there are two adapters and does nothing
>>>if there is only one.

peter

In article <dY6dnRLqYrHwHmTfRVn-qw@comcast.com>,
arthur@alum.calberkeley.org says...

> "Ruel Smith" <NoWay@NoWhere.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Arthur Lipscomb" <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote in message
> >> Hi. I'm in need of some help. My computer arrived today, unfortunately
> >> it's not working. The motherboard is a MSI K8T Neo2-F. When I installed
> >> the video card, an ATI All-in Wonder 9600, and turned the computer on,
> >> the fan started but there was no video signal. I went ahead and added
> >> the hard drive, but still no video. I contacted the vendor for some
> >> troubleshooting. I noticed the USB had four red lights. After unplugging
> >> everything then reconnecting, the four red lights went away. But still
> >> no video. I tried 2 different PCI video cards and using a different
> >> monitor but nothing worked. I contacted MSI tech support and tried the
> >> following:
> >>

> >> Changing the memory (2 sticks of 512 MB PC 3200) from slots 1 and 2 to
> >> slots 2 and 4.
> >>
> >> Resetting the cmos.
> >>

> >> Still no video. MSI suggesting sending it back. Any ideas before I have
> >> to send the system back?
> >
> > Yeah, you mentioned PCI video cards. Is your BIOS setup for PCI video
> > cards instead of AGP? Check your settings.
> >

> Thanks. But unfortunately, I cannot access the bios or anything else. When
> I press the power button the only thing that happens is the fans start.
> There aren't even any beeps. I'm almost certain the problem is with either
> the motherboard or the CPU. According to the manual the four red lights
> means there's a problem with the CPU. And MSI tech thought the problem
> might be a short in the board.

Have you tried removing all memory and/or graphics card to see if you
get any beeps then? Have you ever heard the computer make any beeping
noises? Can you be sure the onboard speaker is connected properly?

--
Pete Ives

"Peter" <ivingtonAll_stRESS@fast24.co.uk> wrote in message
> In article <dY6dnRLqYrHwHmTfRVn-qw@comcast.com>,
> arthur@alum.calberkeley.org says...
>>
>> "Ruel Smith" <NoWay@NoWhere.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > "Arthur Lipscomb" <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote in message

>> > Yeah, you mentioned PCI video cards. Is your BIOS setup for PCI video
>> > cards instead of AGP? Check your settings.
>> >

>> Thanks. But unfortunately, I cannot access the bios or anything else.
>> When
>> I press the power button the only thing that happens is the fans start.
>> There aren't even any beeps. I'm almost certain the problem is with
>> either
>> the motherboard or the CPU. According to the manual the four red lights
>> means there's a problem with the CPU. And MSI tech thought the problem
>> might be a short in the board.
>>

> Have you tried removing all memory and/or graphics card to see if you
> get any beeps then? Have you ever heard the computer make any beeping
> noises? Can you be sure the onboard speaker is connected properly?
>
> --

I just removed the memory. Still no beeps. As far as I can tell, the sound
is connected properly. While searching the manual to check if the sound was
connected, I realized the rear USB was not. When I reconnected the rear USB
in the correct slot, the four red lights came back. So, if the manual is to
be believed the processor is either damaged or not installed properly.

Would the CPU being not installed properly cause the computer not to beep?
And if that's the problem, can I fix it by removing the CPU and putting it
back in again? I'm hoping this is a minor problem that will be cleared up
just by reseating the CPU.

Thanks

jad

> "Peter" <ivingtonAll_stRESS@fast24.co.uk> wrote in message
> > In article <dY6dnRLqYrHwHmTfRVn-qw@comcast.com>,
> > arthur@alum.calberkeley.org says...
> >>
> >> "Ruel Smith" <NoWay@NoWhere.com> wrote in message

> >> Thanks. But unfortunately, I cannot access the bios or anything else.
> >> When
> >> I press the power button the only thing that happens is the fans start.
> >> There aren't even any beeps. I'm almost certain the problem is with
> >> either
> >> the motherboard or the CPU. According to the manual the four red
lights
> >> means there's a problem with the CPU. And MSI tech thought the problem
> >> might be a short in the board.
> >>

> > Have you tried removing all memory and/or graphics card to see if you
> > get any beeps then? Have you ever heard the computer make any beeping
> > noises? Can you be sure the onboard speaker is connected properly?
> >
> > --
>

> I just removed the memory. Still no beeps. As far as I can tell, the
sound
> is connected properly. While searching the manual to check if the sound
was
> connected, I realized the rear USB was not. When I reconnected the rear
USB
> in the correct slot, the four red lights came back. So, if the manual is
> be believed the processor is either damaged or not installed properly.
>
> Would the CPU being not installed properly cause the computer not to beep?

It can

> And if that's the problem, can I fix it by removing the CPU and putting it
> back in again?

Yes, make sure the heat sink and fan are properly installed. The heat
transfer compound maybe the hardest part. If its disturbed it may need to be
re-applied.

I'm hoping this is a minor problem that will be cleared up
> just by reseating the CPU.
>
> Thanks

peter

In article <i4CdnX2yDf82NmffRVn-vg@comcast.com>,
arthur@alum.calberkeley.org says...

> "Peter" <ivingtonAll_stRESS@fast24.co.uk> wrote in message
> > In article <dY6dnRLqYrHwHmTfRVn-qw@comcast.com>,
> > arthur@alum.calberkeley.org says...

<snip>

> > Have you tried removing all memory and/or graphics card to see if you
> > get any beeps then? Have you ever heard the computer make any beeping
> > noises? Can you be sure the onboard speaker is connected properly?
> >
> > --
>

> I just removed the memory. Still no beeps. As far as I can tell, the sound
> is connected properly. While searching the manual to check if the sound was
> connected, I realized the rear USB was not. When I reconnected the rear USB
> in the correct slot, the four red lights came back. So, if the manual is to
> be believed the processor is either damaged or not installed properly.
>
> Would the CPU being not installed properly cause the computer not to beep?
> And if that's the problem, can I fix it by removing the CPU and putting it
> back in again? I'm hoping this is a minor problem that will be cleared up
> just by reseating the CPU.
>
> Thanks

I wouldn't want to take the chance but rather just send it back to where
you bought it, like you suggested.

--
Pete Ives