upgrade or start over?

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
August 10, 2005 3:01:09 AM

My brother bought an insignia(best buy brand) computer last christmas.
unfortunatley it did not come with a decend video card or an agp slot
to put one in. So i am gauging interest in upgrading his computer
mainly to play games with . My plan is to get a new micro atx
motherboard, because it is a small case, and a video card, probably a
6600gt. I've been having problems identifying the cpu- a p4 478pin
2.8ghz 400 fsb. although i can find many mobos that support the p4
400fsb, when i search the "supported cpu" list i can never find my cpu.
i searched the intel website and found the exact specs here
http://processorfinder.intel.com/scripts/details.asp?sS...
will any p4 478pin 400fsb motherboard support this cpu? How well can i
expect this cpu to perform? good enough for gaming? could anyone
recommend a good micro-atx board to use. Also Im worried about the
power supply. it is 230w. will it be enough to run 1- dvdrom, 1-hard
drive, 1-vid.card 6600gt??? sorry to squeeze a million questions into
one post. thanx in advance for any help.

More about : upgrade start

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
August 10, 2005 1:39:44 PM

> SL7EY isn't on Intel's main spec lists, as it was originally just an
> engineering sample. If you are upgrading the motherboard, you'd
> actually be better off putting that CPU on eBay and buying a different
> one altogether. People will pay more for your SL7EY than for an 800FSB
> 2.8GHz P4.

So this cpu is actually worth something?? why would someone pay more
for mine than a p4 800fsb 2.8ghz?? how much do you think it would sell
for??
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
August 10, 2005 5:22:06 PM

roxbury wrote:

" I've been having problems identifying the cpu- a p4 478pin 2.8ghz 400
fsb. although i can find many mobos that support the p4 400fsb, when i
search the "supported cpu" list i can never find my cpu. "

SL7EY isn't on Intel's main spec lists, as it was originally just an
engineering sample. If you are upgrading the motherboard, you'd
actually be better off putting that CPU on eBay and buying a different
one altogether. People will pay more for your SL7EY than for an 800FSB
2.8GHz P4.

" Also Im worried about the power supply. it is 230w. will it be
enough to run 1- dvdrom, 1-hard drive, 1-vid.card 6600gt??? "

It depends on the quality of it. What manufacturer and model is it?
What are the amperage levels on each voltage rail? I know by personal
experience that the 270W mATX Enermax EG285SX-VB(W)SFM and
EG285SX-VB(G)SFM cope with similar spec systems to the one you're
looking at putting together. http://tinyurl.com/anvoq
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
August 11, 2005 12:21:24 AM

Well,people are crazy. Engineering samples are desirable mostly because the
multiplier is unlocked. This allows for flexibility in overclocking. If you
CPU is an ES then by all means see what you can get for it.
Or try overclocking it yourself. It may or may not be a gem.
You probably will have trouble with power if you stick to 230w. I've got a
decent 300w PS that on the edge.I can't add anyting new or it'll go over and
crash.And,I'm using an A64 2800+,Geforce FX5900,1 hard drive,1 CD/DVD RW ans
1GB DDR.

!