hardware newbie: how do I connect my laptop to a crashed d..

Hardware is still new to me although I'm a programmer so I'll be a
quick study. My dad's computer crashed and I want to connect to his
hardrive with my laptop to figure out what happened.

Thanks!
15 answers Last reply
More about hardware newbie connect laptop crashed

    Sam is correct...shall I provide Earth coordinates as well? ;-)
    Assuming my yahoo profile was where you found that....

    ok, I want to be clear. All I have to do is aquire this device and I
    can connect to his internal, primary C drive so I can either fish
    around or back up what's on there? Seems too easy, is this all there
    is to this? If it is then great but I need to be sure.

    Thanks again!

    On 10 Aug 2005 09:09:39 -0700, kinane3@yahoo.com wrote:

    >Sam is correct...shall I provide Earth coordinates as well? ;-)
    >Assuming my yahoo profile was where you found that....

    To put you at ease, no real "snooping" was done.

    From your post's headers:

    nslookup
    Hostname: cpe-24-24-42-39.rochester.res.rr.com
    IP Address: 24.24.42.39

    Some ISPs don't include that information. Comcast does.

    I learned something new and that's awesome.

    Thank you!

    oh, there's that way too ;-) No sweat, I've got nothing to hide.

    I didn't until I looked it up but I get it now. assuming that these
    act as power supplies for the drive as well

    On 10 Aug 2005 09:09:39 -0700, kinane3@yahoo.com wrote:

    >Sam is correct...shall I provide Earth coordinates as well? ;-)
    >Assuming my yahoo profile was where you found that....
    >
    >ok, I want to be clear. All I have to do is aquire this device and I
    >can connect to his internal, primary C drive so I can either fish
    >around or back up what's on there? Seems too easy, is this all there
    >is to this? If it is then great but I need to be sure.
    >
    >Thanks again!

    You understand that you will need to remove the drive from the problem
    computer and install it into the USB enclosure, right? It sounds above
    like you expect to just run an adapter to the back of the problem PC and
    connect to the harddrive.

    --
    Michael Cecil
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

    On 10 Aug 2005 13:01:39 -0700, kinane3@yahoo.com wrote:

    >I didn't until I looked it up but I get it now. assuming that these
    >act as power supplies for the drive as well

    External enclosures for 3.5" drives come with wall warts to supply the
    power while ones for 2.5" drives (usually found in laptops) merely rely on
    the USB connection for power (some use a second USB cable for that.)

    --

    On 10 Aug 2005 08:22:44 -0700, kinane3@yahoo.com wrote:

    >,;Hardware is still new to me although I'm a programmer so I'll be a
    >,;quick study. My dad's computer crashed and I want to connect to his
    >,;hardrive with my laptop to figure out what happened.

    I bought this item (5227954377) on ebay from adapterz.

    Go to ebay and search for "ide to usb". Be sure to get one with the
    laptop HD adapter.

    On 10 Aug 2005 08:22:44 -0700, kinane3@yahoo.com wrote:

    >Hardware is still new to me although I'm a programmer so I'll be a
    >quick study. My dad's computer crashed and I want to connect to his
    >hardrive with my laptop to figure out what happened.

    You can get an USB adapter for the harddrive, I can't point to any
    specific model or brand as I don't know where in the world you live.

    On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 17:28:50 +0200, Thomas Jespersen
    <thomas@lucky-music.dk> wrote:

    >On 10 Aug 2005 08:22:44 -0700, kinane3@yahoo.com wrote:
    >
    >>Hardware is still new to me although I'm a programmer so I'll be a
    >>quick study. My dad's computer crashed and I want to connect to his
    >>hardrive with my laptop to figure out what happened.
    >
    >You can get an USB adapter for the harddrive, I can't point to any
    >specific model or brand as I don't know where in the world you live.

    He's somewhere in the vicinity of Rochester, New York, USA.

    On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 08:45:05 -0700, Sam Iyam
    <andham@porfiriotimiankin.edu.invalid> wrote:

    >He's somewhere in the vicinity of Rochester, New York, USA.

    In that case I can't recommend anything special, but something like
    this:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817173007

    On 10 Aug 2005 09:09:39 -0700, kinane3@yahoo.com wrote:

    >ok, I want to be clear. All I have to do is aquire this device and I
    >can connect to his internal, primary C drive so I can either fish
    >around or back up what's on there? Seems too easy, is this all there
    >is to this? If it is then great but I need to be sure.

    Offcourse it depends how his computer crashed. If the filesystem is
    damaged it might not work, or you might need special tools to restore
    it. For that I cannot help.

    On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 18:11:34 +0200, Thomas Jespersen
    <thomas@lucky-music.dk> wrote:

    >damaged it might not work, or you might need special tools to restore
    >it. For that I cannot help.

    Actually I might be able to help there too. I have successfully
    repaired a defective harddrive with SpinRite before:
    http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm

    But I don't think it will work with an USB harddrive so you have to
    make a DOS disk and repair from your fathers computer. And expect it
    to work very slow, the harddrive I repaired took more than a day if I
    remember correctly. And finally it doesn't do miracles, replace the
    harddrive as soon as possible.

    You can use a program called PCAnywhere.It'll give you access to everything
    on the PC you want to look at.
    Or if you are right there you can network the two together using just a
    straight through cable between ethernet ports.
    <kinane3@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hardware is still new to me although I'm a programmer so I'll be a
    > quick study. My dad's computer crashed and I want to connect to his
    > hardrive with my laptop to figure out what happened.
    >
    > Thanks!

  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Thomas Jespersen wrote:
    > On 10 Aug 2005 09:09:39 -0700, kinane3@yahoo.com wrote:
    >

    >>ok, I want to be clear. All I have to do is aquire this device and I
    >>can connect to his internal, primary C drive so I can either fish
    >>around or back up what's on there? Seems too easy, is this all there
    >>is to this? If it is then great but I need to be sure.
    >

    > Offcourse it depends how his computer crashed. If the filesystem is
    > damaged it might not work, or you might need special tools to restore
    > it. For that I cannot help.

    And if the data is very important and it's a physical fault with the
    disk don't farts around with it: have a professional handle it. Next
    time make regular backups.

    http://www.abmdr.org.au/
    http://www.marrow.org/

Homebuilt Hardware Laptops Connection Systems