USB enclosure setup

Howdy:

I just bought an enclosure for a laptop 4.3GB hard drive that runs off
a USB port. The instructions that came with it are pretty skimpy. I
assume that I have to fdisk and format this thing just like a regular
internal hard drive?

Can I set this puppy up with a bunch of programs and then just plug it
in to my folks or my computer and be able to run the apps from that
HD? I realize they would have to be stand alone apps, that didn't
write anything to the registry.

Also, is it possible to set the disc up with two partitions, one FAT32
and the other NTFS, so that I could use the drive on both Win98 and
WinXP machines. In other words have it set up so that which ever type
of OS I plug the unit into, it would automatically seek out the
partition that matched the file system?

Or am I asking too much of this USB device? Any recomendation to sites
that would have plenty of info for me to read-up on this hardware?

Thank you.

--
The Seabat

jad

"The Seabat" <seabat@boardermail.com> wrote in message
> Howdy:
>
> I just bought an enclosure for a laptop 4.3GB hard drive that runs off
> a USB port. The instructions that came with it are pretty skimpy. I
> assume that I have to fdisk and format this thing just like a regular
> internal hard drive?
>
> Can I set this puppy up with a bunch of programs and then just plug it
> in to my folks or my computer and be able to run the apps from that
> HD? I realize they would have to be stand alone apps, that didn't
> write anything to the registry.
>
> Also, is it possible to set the disc up with two partitions, one FAT32
> and the other NTFS, so that I could use the drive on both Win98 and
> WinXP machines. In other words have it set up so that which ever type
> of OS I plug the unit into, it would automatically seek out the
> partition that matched the file system?

Xp/2000 can see and use fat32

all that you have asked is possible

> Or am I asking too much of this USB device? Any recomendation to sites
> that would have plenty of info for me to read-up on this hardware?
>
> Thank you.
>

> --
> The Seabat

Don

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001

The Seabat wrote:
> I just bought an enclosure for a laptop 4.3GB hard drive that runs off
> a USB port. The instructions that came with it are pretty skimpy. I
> assume that I have to fdisk and format this thing just like a regular
> internal hard drive?

Yep. (Or the Disk Management applet under Computer Management.)

> Can I set this puppy up with a bunch of programs and then just plug it
> in to my folks or my computer and be able to run the apps from that
> HD? I realize they would have to be stand alone apps, that didn't
> write anything to the registry.

Yep.

> Also, is it possible to set the disc up with two partitions, one FAT32
> and the other NTFS, so that I could use the drive on both Win98 and
> WinXP machines.

Yes, but.

> In other words have it set up so that which ever type
> of OS I plug the unit into, it would automatically seek out the
> partition that matched the file system?

Well, if you plug it into a Win98/ME system, the FAT32 partition will be
mounted and the NTFS partition won't. If you plug it into a 2K/XP
system, the system will mount BOTH partitions and give them both drive
letters, which may or may not be what you have in mind. If you're just
concerned about portability between Win98/ME and Win2K/XP, I'd just
format the thing FAT32 since both sets of OSes understand FAT32.

The Seabat wrote:
> Howdy:
>
> I just bought an enclosure for a laptop 4.3GB hard drive that runs off
> a USB port. The instructions that came with it are pretty skimpy. I
> assume that I have to fdisk and format this thing just like a regular
> internal hard drive?
>
> Can I set this puppy up with a bunch of programs and then just plug it
> in to my folks or my computer and be able to run the apps from that
> HD? I realize they would have to be stand alone apps, that didn't
> write anything to the registry.

Not many apps are able to run without being installed. You would be
better off putting CD images onto the hard drive, i.e. with
http://www.magiciso.com/ though with only 4.3 GB, you won't be putting
many of them on there.

> Also, is it possible to set the disc up with two partitions, one FAT32
> and the other NTFS, so that I could use the drive on both Win98 and
> WinXP machines.

FAT32 partitions can be written and read by either OS.