PS fan died a week ago...

CARBON

I come back from vacation and turn my computer back on and there's this
gawd-awful screeching coming from the fan in the power supply. The noise
stopped after a while but I ordered a new power supply anyway.

As it turns out the noise stopped because the fan seized. Taking the PS
out of the case tonight it was really, really hot. Amazing, but the
computer ran like a champ the whole time. I was kind of expecting the PS
to go up in flames or something...

BigJim

you can put a new fan in it

Carbon writes:

> I come back from vacation and turn my computer back on and there's this
> gawd-awful screeching coming from the fan in the power supply. The noise
> stopped after a while but I ordered a new power supply anyway.
>
> As it turns out the noise stopped because the fan seized. Taking the PS
> out of the case tonight it was really, really hot. Amazing, but the
> computer ran like a champ the whole time. I was kind of expecting the PS
> to go up in flames or something...

What brand and model of power supply was it?

If the load on the PSU was light and it didn't run that way for an
extended period, it's not too surprising that it survived. However,
it would not have lasted long. Hopefully it had some sort of shutdown
mechanism for a fan failure as well, but perhaps not.

CARBON

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 06:39:25 +0200, Mxsmanic wrote:
> Carbon writes:

>> As it turns out the noise stopped because the fan seized. Taking the PS
>> out of the case tonight it was really, really hot. Amazing, but the
>> computer ran like a champ the whole time. I was kind of expecting the
>> PS to go up in flames or something...
>
> What brand and model of power supply was it?
>
> If the load on the PSU was light and it didn't run that way for an
> extended period, it's not too surprising that it survived. However, it
> would not have lasted long. Hopefully it had some sort of shutdown
> mechanism for a fan failure as well, but perhaps not.

It's an In-win s500 case with the stock PowerMan 250w power supply, and it
ran basically non-stop for the last 5 years. Right now it's running an
ax6bc slot 1 motherboard with slocket and (iirc) 1.3 tualatin celeron, 3
hard drives, 640 mb ram, 2 optical drives, a zip drive, etc. Kind of
amazing it ran at all on 250w, let alone without a fan.

Anyway I put in a 350w PowerMan. It comes with the 24pin motherboard plug
for when I upgrade. $23 at newegg.com, I think $6 for shipping.