Domain name change

Have an exisiting WinNT member server that I want to replace (with another,
seperate Win2003 file server box).

Figured I'd just rename the server on the domain, then turn up the new
server and give it the old name to preserve shares over the domain.

During the name change procedure, I'm getting a nasty warning message,
something like:
"If you change the name of this server without the Domain Admin changing the
name
first, you will no longer be able to log on to this computer".

Well, I figured I'd just logon local, but there does not seem to be any
local accounts on this member server. When I try to create a local account,
I get an error saying something like "usmgr.exe does not exist". (When I
unplug from the network, I am unable to logon).

If I go to server manager, I can find the exisiting name, but I do NOT see
any RENAME function. I can view it, or delete it, period.

It would appear that to bring up the new server, I will have to burn my only
bridge back to where I started. While confidence is high in the new system,
I am not eager to proceed without a fallback plan.

Any thoughts on how to preserve the old system should the need to bring it
back online occur?

TIA
FIF

A member server will not give you that error message.. A
BDC will give you that error message because you must first
create the computer account in server manager before changing
the name.