NT BDC in Server 2003: possoble?

Hi all

I have an NT domain with PDC and BDC. In a few weeks I'm going install a new
main server with Server 2003, to replace the PDC. If I'm not mistaken, the
BDC cannot continue to be used as BDC.

My question is: how do I downgrade the BDC to a regular server, so I can
connect it to the new 2003 server?

Cheers

In a few weeks I'm going install a new
> main server with Server 2003, to replace the PDC.

You might want to do some more research on this. There are two ways to go to
Win 2k3 from NT 4.0. Upgrade by upgrading the existing PDC first, or migrate
by seting up the Win 2k3 domain up side by side on the same wire as the NT
4.0 domain and use ADMT to migrate users from one domain to the other.

If I'm not mistaken, the
> BDC cannot continue to be used as BDC.
>
> My question is: how do I downgrade the BDC to a regular server, so I can
> connect it to the new 2003 server?

I would suggest upgrading the existing PDC and remain in mixed mode, that
will allow the NT 4.0 BDC to function in the new domain.

hth
DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

"Joao Luis Rita" <JoaoLuisRita@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi all
>
> I have an NT domain with PDC and BDC. In a few weeks I'm going install a
new
> main server with Server 2003, to replace the PDC. If I'm not mistaken, the
> BDC cannot continue to be used as BDC.
>
> My question is: how do I downgrade the BDC to a regular server, so I can
> connect it to the new 2003 server?
>
> Cheers

> You might want to do some more research on this. There are two ways to go to
> Win 2k3 from NT 4.0. Upgrade by upgrading the existing PDC first, or migrate
> by seting up the Win 2k3 domain up side by side on the same wire as the NT
> 4.0 domain and use ADMT to migrate users from one domain to the other.

This is what I'm going to have to do; the old server is a oiece of jun (2
Pentium I, 256MB RAM...). But, in this case, what do I do with the BDC? Will
it work, even if only as "just" another server?

If you use ADMT you have to set the Win 2k3 to Win 2k native mode. In this
mode replication does not occur between a Win 2k3 DC and NT 4.0 BDCs.

If you upgrade the existing PDC you do not have to set it to native mode. NT
4.0 BDCs will continue to work.

There is a porduct called Upromote that claims to be able to change a NT 4.0
BDC to a member server if you want to go the ADMT route and use your
existing BDC as a member server in the new domain. You should be aware that
Upromote is not supported by MS. I have not used it but others have reported
success using it.

> > You might want to do some more research on this. There are two ways to
go to
> > Win 2k3 from NT 4.0. Upgrade by upgrading the existing PDC first, or
migrate
> > by seting up the Win 2k3 domain up side by side on the same wire as the
NT
> > 4.0 domain and use ADMT to migrate users from one domain to the other.
>
> This is what I'm going to have to do; the old server is a oiece of jun (2
> Pentium I, 256MB RAM...). But, in this case, what do I do with the BDC?
Will
> it work, even if only as "just" another server?

Ok. Guess the best thing to do is really build up test network with PDC and
BDC and tear them apart :)

Thanks for the info