Mini ATX cases

I have an old PC with a mini ATX mainboard that I want to use for a DOS game
box. What's the smallest case I can squeeze it into? It just want to be able
to stick it out of the way when it's not in use. I already have a PSU, but if
it doesn't cost too much I would take a case with PSU.

Yes I could use DOSBox, but it doesn't compare to the real thing with an AWE32,
does it?

Ed Coolidge wrote:
> I have an old PC with a mini ATX mainboard that I want to use for a DOS
> game box. What's the smallest case I can squeeze it into? It just want
> to be able to stick it out of the way when it's not in use. I already
> have a PSU, but if it doesn't cost too much I would take a case with PSU.
>
> Yes I could use DOSBox, but it doesn't compare to the real thing with an
> AWE32, does it?

I think that you must mean MicroATX.

See "http://www.antec.com/us/pro_en_lifeStyle.html"

The cube case may be the best choice.

I built some machines with
"http://evercase.com/newsite/2product/e0229.htm" which is cool because
the PCI cards go sideways, via a riser card, and the slot specific
signals on the individual PCI slots are brought up to the riser card
with some PCI card edge connectors that fit into the PCI slots on the
motherboard. So can you use three full size PCI cards, not LP PCI
cards. This case is not readily available for retail purchase in the
U.S., but they're happy to sell to you if you show up at their offices
in San Jose.

In article <I7SKe.8793$p%3.36328@typhoon.sonic.net>, SMS says...
> Ed Coolidge wrote:
> > I have an old PC with a mini ATX mainboard that I want to use for a DOS
> > game box. What's the smallest case I can squeeze it into? It just want
> > to be able to stick it out of the way when it's not in use. I already
> > have a PSU, but if it doesn't cost too much I would take a case with PSU.
> >
> > Yes I could use DOSBox, but it doesn't compare to the real thing with an
> > AWE32, does it?
>
> I think that you must mean MicroATX.

No, miniATX is also a format.

--
Conor

If Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened
rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic
music.

"Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in message
> In article <I7SKe.8793$p%3.36328@typhoon.sonic.net>, SMS says...
> > Ed Coolidge wrote:
> > > I have an old PC with a mini ATX mainboard that I want to use for a
DOS
> > > game box. What's the smallest case I can squeeze it into? It just
want
> > > to be able to stick it out of the way when it's not in use. I already
> > > have a PSU, but if it doesn't cost too much I would take a case with
PSU.

> > > Yes I could use DOSBox, but it doesn't compare to the real thing with
an
> > > AWE32, does it?
> >
> > I think that you must mean MicroATX.
> >
> No, miniATX is also a format.
> --
> Conor

I'd never seen or heard of a Mini formfactor but...............

http://users.erols.com/chare/atx.htm

I have a UATX M/B in a Mini case but I think Mini generally refers to a case
size now. AFAIK this case will also hold a full size ATX board.
I didn't try the patterns on the website but it could be useful for
determining formfactor. Assuming it's not a proprietary board, Compaq etc.
YMMV

Conor wrote:
> In article <I7SKe.8793$p%3.36328@typhoon.sonic.net>, SMS says...
>
>>Ed Coolidge wrote:
>>
>>>I have an old PC with a mini ATX mainboard that I want to use for a DOS
>>>game box. What's the smallest case I can squeeze it into? It just want
>>>to be able to stick it out of the way when it's not in use. I already
>>>have a PSU, but if it doesn't cost too much I would take a case with PSU.
>>>
>>>Yes I could use DOSBox, but it doesn't compare to the real thing with an
>>>AWE32, does it?
>>
>>I think that you must mean MicroATX.
>>

> No, miniATX is also a format.

Yes, but it was never very popular, so I thought he meant MicroATX.

SMS wrote:

> Yes, but it was never very popular, so I thought he meant MicroATX.

I've seen mini atx mainboards sold just about a year ago or so, but I've never
seen many cases that support it. I guess most people just stick the smaller
board in a regular atx case like I did. I was hoping to find something smaller
though.

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 12:02:25 GMT, Ed Coolidge
<semi_DELETE_THIS_charm@earthlink.net> wrote:

>SMS wrote:
>
>> Yes, but it was never very popular, so I thought he meant MicroATX.
>
>I've seen mini atx mainboards sold just about a year ago or so, but I've never
>seen many cases that support it. I guess most people just stick the smaller
>board in a regular atx case like I did. I was hoping to find something smaller
>though.

I think the difference between "mini" and "micro"ATX is simply a
Pondian one with the British prefering "mini" and the Yanks prefering
"micro".

A site (UK) with good info both on boards and cases is

http://www.mini-itx.com/

I have built a small form factor PC using the Morex Venus case and the
Via M10000 1 Ghz motherboard to be used, when I get the Hauppage card
transferred into it, as a PVR. As a test, I have installed W2K on it
and it works like a charm and runs very cool thanks to the design of
the Via chip. I know Via has a ragged reputation, but this board and
chipset seems fine.

Here's a site with pics of the Morex case

http://www.logicsupply.com/product_info.php?products_id=134

Another popular case is the Antec Aria

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/skusearch.hmx?SCriteria=BA20094&CartID=done&nextloc=

Most of the micro/miniATX boards are being used for HTPC/home
entertainment machines.

There are a number of sites with info about HTPCs and PVRs using MATX
boards including some tutorials, here's one:

http://www.byopvr.com/

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 12:02:25 GMT, Ed Coolidge
<semi_DELETE_THIS_charm@earthlink.net> wrote:

>I've seen mini atx mainboards sold just about a year ago or so, but I've never
>seen many cases that support it. I guess most people just stick the smaller
>board in a regular atx case like I did. I was hoping to find something smaller
>though.

Many of the mATX cases are sold as part of a barebones system like
these Shuttle and Soltek systems.

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?minorcatid=1113

But here is a really nice mATX case you should look for if you are
really interested in building one.

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=11711&vpn=ARIA&manufacture=ANTEC

To set this straight, Mini-ATX, Micro-ATX and Mini-ITX are three
different specs. If you don't believe me, just check out
http://www.motherboards.org/articles/tech-planations/4_1.html.
Also try http://users.erols.com/chare/atx.htm.

Honestly though, the number of form factors that have come around in the
past 5 years or so is confusing. The problem seems to be that Mini-ATX
was the only mainstream small form factor for a number of years, till
Micro-ATX spec pushed it out of the market. Micro-ATX and the sort
would fit the bill size-wise, but they are only made for newer PCs,
which won't work as well for a DOS game machine.

Ed Coolidge wrote:
> To set this straight, Mini-ATX, Micro-ATX and Mini-ITX are three
> different specs. If you don't believe me, just check out
> http://www.motherboards.org/articles/tech-planations/4_1.html.
> Also try http://users.erols.com/chare/atx.htm.
>
> Honestly though, the number of form factors that have come around in the
> past 5 years or so is confusing. The problem seems to be that Mini-ATX
> was the only mainstream small form factor for a number of years, till
> Micro-ATX spec pushed it out of the market.

Micro-ATX essentially came out along with ATX as it's nothing more than an
ATX with half the PCI slots cut off the end. It's 'mini-ATX' that's more of
an odd ball and reference to it was removed from the ATX specs in the 2.03
to 2.1 revision.

> Micro-ATX and the sort
> would fit the bill size-wise, but they are only made for newer PCs,
> which won't work as well for a DOS game machine.

What is it that you think makes one or the other better for a 'DOS machine'?

Or, put another way, what is it about, say, the Intel 810 chipset Micro-ATX
motherboard I've got running a Celeron 466 that makes it 'not work as well'
for a DOS machine?

If you simply want 'old stuff' you can get a socket 7 Micro-ATX motherboard
but that's as far back as anything 'ATX-ish' (in any form) is going to go.

> J. Eric Durbin wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 12:02:25 GMT, Ed Coolidge
>> <semi_DELETE_THIS_charm@earthlink.net> wrote:
>>

>> I think the difference between "mini" and "micro"ATX is simply a
>>
>> Pondian one with the British prefering "mini" and the Yanks prefering
>> "micro".
>> A site (UK) with good info both on boards and cases is
>> http://www.mini-itx.com/
>>
>> I have built a small form factor PC using the Morex Venus case and the
>> Via M10000 1 Ghz motherboard to be used, when I get the Hauppage card
>> transferred into it, as a PVR. As a test, I have installed W2K on it
>> and it works like a charm and runs very cool thanks to the design of
>> the Via chip. I know Via has a ragged reputation, but this board and
>> chipset seems fine.
>>
>> Here's a site with pics of the Morex case
>>
>> http://www.logicsupply.com/product_info.php?products_id=134
>>
>> Another popular case is the Antec Aria
>>
>> http://www.mwave.com/mwave/skusearch.hmx?SCriteria=BA20094&CartID=done&nextloc=
>>

>> Most of the micro/miniATX boards are being used for HTPC/home
>> entertainment machines.
>>
>> There are a number of sites with info about HTPCs and PVRs using MATX
>> boards including some tutorials, here's one:
>>
>> http://www.byopvr.com/

That's fine, except that a new "Micro" ATX PC doesn't do me any good
since I'm looking for a machine to run old DOS games. That's why I'm
using an old "Mini" ATX board. Besides I already have a 3GHz AMD64 PC
with a 1GB RAM for everything else.

Praxiteles Democritus wrote:

>Many of the mATX cases are sold as part of a barebones system like
>these Shuttle and Soltek systems.
>
>http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?minorcatid=1113
>

>But here is a really nice mATX case you should look for if you are
>really interested in building one.
>
>http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=11711&vpn=ARIA&manufacture=ANTEC

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 20:42:22 GMT, Ed Coolidge
<semi_DELETE_THIS_charm@earthlink.net> wrote:

>That's fine, except that a new "Micro" ATX PC doesn't do me any good
>since I'm looking for a machine to run old DOS games. That's why I'm
>using an old "Mini" ATX board. Besides I already have a 3GHz AMD64 PC
>with a 1GB RAM for everything else.

Yea, and that's why I listed this one which is just a case.

>>http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=11711&vpn=ARIA&manufacture=ANTEC

Praxiteles Democritus wrote:

>Yea, and that's why I listed this one which is just a case.
>
>>>ttp://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=11711&vpn=ARIA&manufacture=ANTEC

"Accepts motherboards up to MicroATX (9.6" x 9.6")" Doesn't do me my
any good, but that is a really nice case!

Ed Coolidge wrote:

> I have an old PC with a mini ATX mainboard that I want to use for a
> DOS game box. What's the smallest case I can squeeze it into? It
> just want to be able to stick it out of the way when it's not in use.
> I already have a PSU, but if it doesn't cost too much I would take a
> case with PSU.
>
> Yes I could use DOSBox, but it doesn't compare to the real thing with
> an AWE32, does it?

I owe everyone an apology. I was told when I bought the board that it
was a Mini ATX. It fit in the case I had on hand at the time and never
gave it a second thought. After measuring the mount points and checking
the specs, it is now apparent that the board is in fact Micro-ATX. Now
I just have to find a cheap case that I can shoehorn a full size ISA
AWE32 into.

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 23:23:56 GMT, Ed Coolidge
<semi_DELETE_THIS_charm@earthlink.net> wrote:

>"Accepts motherboards up to MicroATX (9.6" x 9.6")" Doesn't do me my
>any good, but that is a really nice case!

You never stated the dimensions of your mb.

Praxiteles Democritus wrote:

>>"Accepts motherboards up to MicroATX (9.6" x 9.6")" Doesn't do me my
>>any good, but that is a really nice case!
>>

>You never stated the dimensions of your mb.

It wasn't the size that was the issue, but the form factor. Or so I
thought at the time anyway. Either way, the case is nice, but it's
worth a lot more than the PC I'd put into it.

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 02:46:24 GMT, Ed Coolidge
<semi_DELETE_THIS_charm@earthlink.net> wrote:

>It wasn't the size that was the issue, but the form factor. Or so I
>thought at the time anyway. Either way, the case is nice, but it's
>worth a lot more than the PC I'd put into it.

Yea, I was wondering what you guys were talking about Mini ATX - never
heard of such a mb myself.The m in mATX means micro and that's all
there is as far as I know. These special cases for mATX mb's are often
called Mini cases though. Then there is the Mini-Mac but that is
something even smaller than mATX. I guess just buy a cheap small tower
case and use that, there are lots of them around.

Praxiteles Democritus wrote:

>Yea, I was wondering what you guys were talking about Mini ATX - never
>heard of such a mb myself.The m in mATX means micro and that's all
>there is as far as I know. These special cases for mATX mb's are often
>called Mini cases though. Then there is the Mini-Mac but that is
>something even smaller than mATX. I guess just buy a cheap small tower
>case and use that, there are lots of them around.

Well, there are Mini-ATX boards, mine just not one of them. The cube
style cases like the one you mentioned would fit the space I wanted to
use for the PC, but they're just too expensive for my needs. I guess
I'll just have to find a place for a mini tower or maybe a desktop.

Ed Coolidge wrote:
> Praxiteles Democritus wrote:
>
>>> "Accepts motherboards up to MicroATX (9.6" x 9.6")" Doesn't do me my
>>> any good, but that is a really nice case!
>>>

>> You never stated the dimensions of your mb.
>>

> It wasn't the size that was the issue, but the form factor. Or so I
> thought at the time anyway. Either way, the case is nice, but it's
> worth a lot more than the PC I'd put into it.

The Evercase ECE0229 is pretty cheap but unfortunately it is not usable
with ISA cards (http://evercase.com/newsite/2product/e0229.htm)

The Antec Aria is quite expensive, I guess they can get $90
since there are no similar cases on the market.

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 13:06:09 GMT, Ed Coolidge
<semi_DELETE_THIS_charm@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Well, there are Mini-ATX boards, mine just not one of them. The cube
>style cases like the one you mentioned would fit the space I wanted to
>use for the PC, but they're just too expensive for my needs. I guess
>I'll just have to find a place for a mini tower or maybe a desktop.

How about this case then. $32.38 :)
http://www.us.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=8240&vpn=SL-9030KL&manufacture=nGear%20Technologies%20Inc.

or this one at $33.43.
http://www.us.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=10826&vpn=ST-2688KL&manufacture=nGear%20Technologies%20Inc.

That Antec case I showed you was actually in Canadian dollars and the
US price is a bit cheaper.

Praxiteles Democritus wrote:

>How about this case then. $32.38 :)
>http://www.us.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=8240&vpn=SL-9030KL&manufacture=nGear%20Technologies%20Inc.
>
>or this one at $33.43.
>http://www.us.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=10826&vpn=ST-2688KL&manufacture=nGear%20Technologies%20Inc.
>
>That Antec case I showed you was actually in Canadian dollars and the
>US price is a bit cheaper.

Maybe there's been a misunderstanding. I already have the PC in a mid
tower ATX case now and I'm looking for the smallest case I can stuff it
into. Also, I really don't have room for mini tower case on my desk. I
can find room for a desktop case though. Too bad my AWE32 board seems
to be a problem. It's about 12" long! There doesn't seem to be very
many Micro ATX desktop cases that have that much clearance from front to
back..