NT PDC problem with WAN

Hello everybody.
I have specific problem, and I can not find the adequate sollution.
I have Windows NT server as PDC, and it works fine for couple of days.
Problem starts when clients need to change their password, then they receive
message that domain controller is not available. That happens ONLY on WAN
clients, not local network clients.
After restarting server(PDC) everything works fine, and everibody can change
password, and with server manager ( from server outside local network, on
WAN) everything looks fine and works fine...for couple of days.
I have active WINS server,clients are mostly XP and servers (30) on WAN are
W2K servers.
I need to avoid restarting PDC because it is not it's only role in network.
Or which service rund PDC, what should I restart on server without restarting
whole machine (I tried to restart netlogon service, dns service...but no
effect)?
Thanx

In NT 4.0 the PDC holds the only modifiable copy
of the SAM which means it must be contacted in order
for a password change to occur. You'll need to check
Netbios connectivity from the WAN client when the
problem occurs. Attempt to map to a share on the PDC
from the client first by name than by tcp/ip address. If any
of these fail what is the exact error. Finally after a failed
attempt at changing your password open a dos prompt
and run nbtstat -c; what do you see?

"N3utrin0" <N3utrin0@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
> Hello everybody.
> I have specific problem, and I can not find the adequate sollution.
> I have Windows NT server as PDC, and it works fine for couple of days.
> Problem starts when clients need to change their password, then they
receive
> message that domain controller is not available. That happens ONLY on
WAN
> clients, not local network clients.
> After restarting server(PDC) everything works fine, and everibody can
change
> password, and with server manager ( from server outside local network,
on
> WAN) everything looks fine and works fine...for couple of days.
> I have active WINS server,clients are mostly XP and servers (30) on
WAN are
> W2K servers.
> I need to avoid restarting PDC because it is not it's only role in
network.
> Or which service rund PDC, what should I restart on server without
restarting
> whole machine (I tried to restart netlogon service, dns service...but
no
> effect)?
> Thanx

Hello,
Thanx for the answer, but problem still exist. Point is everything else
works fine, I can ping PDC by it's name, I can connect and map network drive,
everything works fine except logging on to domain.
After restarting the PDC, even logging works fine for couple of days.
I tried to restart just NETLOGON service without restarting the server, but
nothing happened. Still the same error : The domain "domain" is not available.

"Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" wrote:

> In NT 4.0 the PDC holds the only modifiable copy
> of the SAM which means it must be contacted in order
> for a password change to occur. You'll need to check
> Netbios connectivity from the WAN client when the
> problem occurs. Attempt to map to a share on the PDC
> from the client first by name than by tcp/ip address. If any
> of these fail what is the exact error. Finally after a failed
> attempt at changing your password open a dos prompt
> and run nbtstat -c; what do you see?
>
> "N3utrin0" <N3utrin0@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
> > Hello everybody.
> > I have specific problem, and I can not find the adequate sollution.
> > I have Windows NT server as PDC, and it works fine for couple of days.
> > Problem starts when clients need to change their password, then they
> receive
> > message that domain controller is not available. That happens ONLY on
> WAN
> > clients, not local network clients.
> > After restarting server(PDC) everything works fine, and everibody can
> change
> > password, and with server manager ( from server outside local network,
> on
> > WAN) everything looks fine and works fine...for couple of days.
> > I have active WINS server,clients are mostly XP and servers (30) on
> WAN are
> > W2K servers.
> > I need to avoid restarting PDC because it is not it's only role in
> network.
> > Or which service rund PDC, what should I restart on server without
> restarting
> > whole machine (I tried to restart netlogon service, dns service...but
> no
> > effect)?
> > Thanx

Second time I've asked this question:

Immediately after a failed attempt at logging on to the
domain open a dos prompt and run nbtstat -c. What
do you see?
"N3utrin0" <N3utrin0@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
> Hello,
> Thanx for the answer, but problem still exist. Point is everything
else
> works fine, I can ping PDC by it's name, I can connect and map network
drive,
> everything works fine except logging on to domain.
> After restarting the PDC, even logging works fine for couple of days.
> I tried to restart just NETLOGON service without restarting the
server, but
> nothing happened. Still the same error : The domain "domain" is not
available.

Hello,
I hat to wait for error to occur, here it is what I see when type nbtstat -c:

Local Area Connection:
Node IpAddress: [10.154.1.237] Scope Id: []

NetBIOS Remote Cache Name Table

Name Type Host Address Life [sec]
NODENAM <20> UNIQUE 10.154.1.238 510

"Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" wrote:

> Second time I've asked this question:
>
> Immediately after a failed attempt at logging on to the
> domain open a dos prompt and run nbtstat -c. What
> do you see?
> "N3utrin0" <N3utrin0@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
> > Hello,
> > Thanx for the answer, but problem still exist. Point is everything
> else
> > works fine, I can ping PDC by it's name, I can connect and map network
> drive,
> > everything works fine except logging on to domain.
> > After restarting the PDC, even logging works fine for couple of days.
> > I tried to restart just NETLOGON service without restarting the
> server, but
> > nothing happened. Still the same error : The domain "domain" is not
> available.

Well there is quite a bit missing from the remote name
table. NODENAM is a the computername of a which
machine on your domain? The problem server?
"N3utrin0" <N3utrin0@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:cv
> Hello,
> I hat to wait for error to occur, here it is what I see when type
nbtstat -c:

> Local Area Connection:
> Node IpAddress: [10.154.1.237] Scope Id: []
>
> NetBIOS Remote Cache Name Table
>
> Name Type Host Address Life [sec]
> NODENAM <20> UNIQUE 10.154.1.238 510

Ye I know, NODENAM is client NetBIOS name, the client which can not see the
PDC. This happens with all clients on WAN, not with the clients inside LAN.
All routers are fully open with all ports enabled.
After restarting PDC everything works fine. And after the same nbtstat
command I get more information with PDC, domain name, etc....

"Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" wrote:

> Well there is quite a bit missing from the remote name
> table. NODENAM is a the computername of a which
> machine on your domain? The problem server?
> "N3utrin0" <N3utrin0@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:cv
> > Hello,
> > I hat to wait for error to occur, here it is what I see when type
> nbtstat -c:
> >
> > Local Area Connection:
> > Node IpAddress: [10.154.1.237] Scope Id: []
> >
> > NetBIOS Remote Cache Name Table
> >
> > Name Type Host Address Life [sec]
> > NODENAM <20> UNIQUE 10.154.1.238 510

If I have this correct the local users can still access the PDC
but the WAN clients cannot? A reboot clears this up for a
while? All WAN clients are pointing towards the same WINS
server as the local clients?
"N3utrin0" <N3utrin0@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
> Ye I know, NODENAM is client NetBIOS name, the client which can not
see the
> PDC. This happens with all clients on WAN, not with the clients inside
LAN.
> All routers are fully open with all ports enabled.
> After restarting PDC everything works fine. And after the same nbtstat
> command I get more information with PDC, domain name, etc....

Yes, that is correct.

"Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" wrote:

> If I have this correct the local users can still access the PDC
> but the WAN clients cannot? A reboot clears this up for a
> while? All WAN clients are pointing towards the same WINS
> server as the local clients?
> "N3utrin0" <N3utrin0@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
> > Ye I know, NODENAM is client NetBIOS name, the client which can not
> see the
> > PDC. This happens with all clients on WAN, not with the clients inside
> LAN.
> > All routers are fully open with all ports enabled.
> > After restarting PDC everything works fine. And after the same nbtstat
> > command I get more information with PDC, domain name, etc....

Not sure why rebooting the PDC resolves
the error for a while since the LAN clients
have no problems?

When the problem occurs. Open the system
log of the event viewer on the PDC and see
if there are any related errors. Next open a
dos prompt and run nbtstat -n. What do you
see? Next run nbtstat -RR. Does this also
resolve your issue for a while?