NT PDC problem with WAN

Hello everybody.
I have specific problem, and I can not find the adequate sollution.
I have Windows NT server as PDC, and it works fine for couple of days.
Problem starts when clients need to change their password, then they receive
message that domain controller is not available. That happens ONLY on WAN
clients, not local network clients.
After restarting server(PDC) everything works fine, and everibody can change
password, and with server manager ( from server outside local network, on
WAN) everything looks fine and works fine...for couple of days.
I have active WINS server,clients are mostly XP and servers (30) on WAN are
W2K servers.
I need to avoid restarting PDC because it is not it's only role in network.
Or which service rund PDC, what should I restart on server without restarting
whole machine (I tried to restart netlogon service, dns service...but no
effect)?
Thanx
9 answers Last reply
More about problem

    In NT 4.0 the PDC holds the only modifiable copy
    of the SAM which means it must be contacted in order
    for a password change to occur. You'll need to check
    Netbios connectivity from the WAN client when the
    problem occurs. Attempt to map to a share on the PDC
    from the client first by name than by tcp/ip address. If any
    of these fail what is the exact error. Finally after a failed
    attempt at changing your password open a dos prompt
    and run nbtstat -c; what do you see?

    "N3utrin0" <N3utrin0@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
    > Hello everybody.
    > I have specific problem, and I can not find the adequate sollution.
    > I have Windows NT server as PDC, and it works fine for couple of days.
    > Problem starts when clients need to change their password, then they
    receive
    > message that domain controller is not available. That happens ONLY on
    WAN
    > clients, not local network clients.
    > After restarting server(PDC) everything works fine, and everibody can
    change
    > password, and with server manager ( from server outside local network,
    on
    > WAN) everything looks fine and works fine...for couple of days.
    > I have active WINS server,clients are mostly XP and servers (30) on
    WAN are
    > W2K servers.
    > I need to avoid restarting PDC because it is not it's only role in
    network.
    > Or which service rund PDC, what should I restart on server without
    restarting
    > whole machine (I tried to restart netlogon service, dns service...but
    no
    > effect)?
    > Thanx

    Hello,
    Thanx for the answer, but problem still exist. Point is everything else
    works fine, I can ping PDC by it's name, I can connect and map network drive,
    everything works fine except logging on to domain.
    After restarting the PDC, even logging works fine for couple of days.
    I tried to restart just NETLOGON service without restarting the server, but
    nothing happened. Still the same error : The domain "domain" is not available.

    "Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" wrote:

    > In NT 4.0 the PDC holds the only modifiable copy
    > of the SAM which means it must be contacted in order
    > for a password change to occur. You'll need to check
    > Netbios connectivity from the WAN client when the
    > problem occurs. Attempt to map to a share on the PDC
    > from the client first by name than by tcp/ip address. If any
    > of these fail what is the exact error. Finally after a failed
    > attempt at changing your password open a dos prompt
    > and run nbtstat -c; what do you see?
    >
    > "N3utrin0" <N3utrin0@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
    > > Hello everybody.
    > > I have specific problem, and I can not find the adequate sollution.
    > > I have Windows NT server as PDC, and it works fine for couple of days.
    > > Problem starts when clients need to change their password, then they
    > receive
    > > message that domain controller is not available. That happens ONLY on
    > WAN
    > > clients, not local network clients.
    > > After restarting server(PDC) everything works fine, and everibody can
    > change
    > > password, and with server manager ( from server outside local network,
    > on
    > > WAN) everything looks fine and works fine...for couple of days.
    > > I have active WINS server,clients are mostly XP and servers (30) on
    > WAN are
    > > W2K servers.
    > > I need to avoid restarting PDC because it is not it's only role in
    > network.
    > > Or which service rund PDC, what should I restart on server without
    > restarting
    > > whole machine (I tried to restart netlogon service, dns service...but
    > no
    > > effect)?
    > > Thanx

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    Second time I've asked this question:

    Immediately after a failed attempt at logging on to the
    domain open a dos prompt and run nbtstat -c. What
    do you see?
    "N3utrin0" <N3utrin0@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
    > Hello,
    > Thanx for the answer, but problem still exist. Point is everything
    else
    > works fine, I can ping PDC by it's name, I can connect and map network
    drive,
    > everything works fine except logging on to domain.
    > After restarting the PDC, even logging works fine for couple of days.
    > I tried to restart just NETLOGON service without restarting the
    server, but
    > nothing happened. Still the same error : The domain "domain" is not
    available.

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    Hello,
    I hat to wait for error to occur, here it is what I see when type nbtstat -c:

    Local Area Connection:
    Node IpAddress: [10.154.1.237] Scope Id: []

    NetBIOS Remote Cache Name Table

    Name Type Host Address Life [sec]
    NODENAM <20> UNIQUE 10.154.1.238 510

    "Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" wrote:

    > Second time I've asked this question:
    >
    > Immediately after a failed attempt at logging on to the
    > domain open a dos prompt and run nbtstat -c. What
    > do you see?
    > "N3utrin0" <N3utrin0@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
    > > Hello,
    > > Thanx for the answer, but problem still exist. Point is everything
    > else
    > > works fine, I can ping PDC by it's name, I can connect and map network
    > drive,
    > > everything works fine except logging on to domain.
    > > After restarting the PDC, even logging works fine for couple of days.
    > > I tried to restart just NETLOGON service without restarting the
    > server, but
    > > nothing happened. Still the same error : The domain "domain" is not
    > available.

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    Well there is quite a bit missing from the remote name
    table. NODENAM is a the computername of a which
    machine on your domain? The problem server?
    "N3utrin0" <N3utrin0@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:cv
    > Hello,
    > I hat to wait for error to occur, here it is what I see when type
    nbtstat -c:

    > Local Area Connection:
    > Node IpAddress: [10.154.1.237] Scope Id: []
    >
    > NetBIOS Remote Cache Name Table
    >
    > Name Type Host Address Life [sec]
    > NODENAM <20> UNIQUE 10.154.1.238 510
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    Ye I know, NODENAM is client NetBIOS name, the client which can not see the
    PDC. This happens with all clients on WAN, not with the clients inside LAN.
    All routers are fully open with all ports enabled.
    After restarting PDC everything works fine. And after the same nbtstat
    command I get more information with PDC, domain name, etc....

    "Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" wrote:

    > Well there is quite a bit missing from the remote name
    > table. NODENAM is a the computername of a which
    > machine on your domain? The problem server?
    > "N3utrin0" <N3utrin0@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:cv
    > > Hello,
    > > I hat to wait for error to occur, here it is what I see when type
    > nbtstat -c:
    > >
    > > Local Area Connection:
    > > Node IpAddress: [10.154.1.237] Scope Id: []
    > >
    > > NetBIOS Remote Cache Name Table
    > >
    > > Name Type Host Address Life [sec]
    > > NODENAM <20> UNIQUE 10.154.1.238 510

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    If I have this correct the local users can still access the PDC
    but the WAN clients cannot? A reboot clears this up for a
    while? All WAN clients are pointing towards the same WINS
    server as the local clients?
    "N3utrin0" <N3utrin0@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
    > Ye I know, NODENAM is client NetBIOS name, the client which can not
    see the
    > PDC. This happens with all clients on WAN, not with the clients inside
    LAN.
    > All routers are fully open with all ports enabled.
    > After restarting PDC everything works fine. And after the same nbtstat
    > command I get more information with PDC, domain name, etc....

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    Yes, that is correct.

    "Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" wrote:

    > If I have this correct the local users can still access the PDC
    > but the WAN clients cannot? A reboot clears this up for a
    > while? All WAN clients are pointing towards the same WINS
    > server as the local clients?
    > "N3utrin0" <N3utrin0@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
    > > Ye I know, NODENAM is client NetBIOS name, the client which can not
    > see the
    > > PDC. This happens with all clients on WAN, not with the clients inside
    > LAN.
    > > All routers are fully open with all ports enabled.
    > > After restarting PDC everything works fine. And after the same nbtstat
    > > command I get more information with PDC, domain name, etc....

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    Not sure why rebooting the PDC resolves
    the error for a while since the LAN clients
    have no problems?

    When the problem occurs. Open the system
    log of the event viewer on the PDC and see
    if there are any related errors. Next open a
    dos prompt and run nbtstat -n. What do you
    see? Next run nbtstat -RR. Does this also
    resolve your issue for a while?

    "N3utrin0" <N3utrin0@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
    > Yes, that is correct.
    >
    > "Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" wrote:
    >
    > > If I have this correct the local users can still access the PDC
    > > but the WAN clients cannot? A reboot clears this up for a
    > > while? All WAN clients are pointing towards the same WINS
    > > server as the local clients?

WAN Servers Windows