LEDs, cases, power supply

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi -

I'm building another system after a two year hiatus.
I could use a bit of help figuring out a few things.

It's getting harder to avoid LEDs. Everything's lit up like
a christmas tree now: cases, see through power supplies,
memory, fans, etc. Very stupid question, is there an off/on
switch for the LEDs?

Power supplies come in 20pin or 24pin varieties. What's the
difference? Is it motherboard, socket, cpu related?

Thanks.

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 21:42:12 GMT, James <griffon@shellcity.com> wrote:

>It's getting harder to avoid LEDs. Everything's lit up like
>a christmas tree now: cases, see through power supplies,
>memory, fans, etc. Very stupid question, is there an off/on
>switch for the LEDs?

On some products there are, try to look up a review if you can. I
avoid such products like the plague. I want a plain and simple PC.

>Power supplies come in 20pin or 24pin varieties. What's the
>difference? Is it motherboard, socket, cpu related?

Well, my new motherboard (nForce 4, Socket 939) only had a 24 pin
connector so I had to purchase an adapter. I think 24-pin is the most
future proof solution, although as I said you can get an adapter.

Thomas Jespersen wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 21:42:12 GMT, James <griffon@shellcity.com> wrote:
>

>>It's getting harder to avoid LEDs. Everything's lit up like
>>a christmas tree now: cases, see through power supplies,
>>memory, fans, etc. Very stupid question, is there an off/on
>>switch for the LEDs?
>

> On some products there are, try to look up a review if you can. I
> avoid such products like the plague. I want a plain and simple PC.

My last one was like Las Vegas, but my newer one is slightly more sedate.

:)

>>Power supplies come in 20pin or 24pin varieties. What's the
>>difference? Is it motherboard, socket, cpu related?
>

> Well, my new motherboard (nForce 4, Socket 939) only had a 24 pin
> connector so I had to purchase an adapter. I think 24-pin is the most
> future proof solution, although as I said you can get an adapter.

I assembled a PC recently, and the mobo had a 24 connector, but the
board would also accept a 20 pin PS. That was weird, but I'm glad it
worked.

I doubt that that is generally true.

The 20 vs 24 thing is just on more irritation, IMHO. Many PSs come
with an adapter. Try to match the PS to the mobo.

Phisherman

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 21:42:12 GMT, James <griffon@shellcity.com> wrote:

>Hi -
>
>I'm building another system after a two year hiatus.
>I could use a bit of help figuring out a few things.
>
>It's getting harder to avoid LEDs. Everything's lit up like
>a christmas tree now: cases, see through power supplies,
>memory, fans, etc. Very stupid question, is there an off/on
>switch for the LEDs?

I havn't seen any. You can either not plug the LED in, or you can cut
them off.

>Power supplies come in 20pin or 24pin varieties. What's the
>difference? Is it motherboard, socket, cpu related?

The extra 4 pins supports the graphics card. The 24-pin power cord
connects from the P/S to the motherboard. I recommend getting the P/S
with a 24-pin power cord.