Manage domain user remotely

Hi There,

I am new to servers. I have a situation where one of our domain users
loacted in other city. I had built his machine and his password is about to
expire for the domain account. How can he reset his password remotely over
the vpn? Also, the windows does not pop up the window that notifies user
for password expiry.

Please help.

Thanks
Vivek
5 answers Last reply
More about manage domain user remotely

    Assuming this is NT the client must find the PDC of the
    domain across the VPN link. The easiest way to get this
    to work is to have the remote machine point towards a
    local (local to the PDC) name server e.g., WINS.

    "Vivek Sharma" <joebloggs@news.com> wrote in message news:

    > I am new to servers. I have a situation where one of our domain users
    > loacted in other city. I had built his machine and his password is
    about to
    > expire for the domain account. How can he reset his password remotely
    over
    > the vpn? Also, the windows does not pop up the window that notifies
    user
    > for password expiry.

    the client is XP and the server is 2000 SBS. What is PDC?

    Thanks
    Vivek
    "Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" <Michael.Giorgio@NoSpam.mayerson.com> wrote in
    message news:O9A8dYv1EHA.2540@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > Assuming this is NT the client must find the PDC of the
    > domain across the VPN link. The easiest way to get this
    > to work is to have the remote machine point towards a
    > local (local to the PDC) name server e.g., WINS.
    >
    > "Vivek Sharma" <joebloggs@news.com> wrote in message news:
    > >
    > > I am new to servers. I have a situation where one of our domain users
    > > loacted in other city. I had built his machine and his password is
    > about to
    > > expire for the domain account. How can he reset his password remotely
    > over
    > > the vpn? Also, the windows does not pop up the window that notifies
    > user
    > > for password expiry.

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    In that case it's a DNS issue. The XP client must still find
    the SBS server in order to make the password change.
    PDC is specific to NT 4.0 the Primary Domain Controller
    is created during domain installation and holds the only
    modifiable copy of the SAM database.. In W2k or higher
    the change can be made by contacting any DC of the
    domain.
    "Vivek Sharma" <joebloggs@news.com> wrote in message news:
    > the client is XP and the server is 2000 SBS. What is PDC?

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    In news:uIMPx1x1EHA.132@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    Vivek Sharma <joebloggs@news.com> commented
    Then Kevin replied below:
    > the client is XP and the server is 2000 SBS. What is PDC?

    Make sure the XP client is using the address of the SBS for DNS.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

    It is using the SBS IP. The problem now is if the domain user changes the
    password while he is on VPN the password gets changed but cannot log on to
    PC.

    "Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" <admin@nospam.WFTX.US> wrote in message
    > In news:uIMPx1x1EHA.132@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    > Vivek Sharma <joebloggs@news.com> commented
    > Then Kevin replied below:
    > > the client is XP and the server is 2000 SBS. What is PDC?
    >
    > Make sure the XP client is using the address of the SBS for DNS.
    >

    > --
    > Best regards,
    > Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    > Hope This Helps