removing a windows xp from domain

I have a problem with a windows xp workstation running in a NT 4.0 Domain.

When the PC is added to the domain, I can ping all addresses from the PC
itself, but when trying to ping that PC, to see if it is on the domain, from
another PC, I cannot ping the address, so:

1) I removed the workstation from the domain, but it is still listed. So,
even though it is removed from the domain, it is still listed in Server
Manager (workstation), So I tried the 2)

2) I removed the workstation from the domain from the PC, to workgroup, and
then tried to re-add the workstation to the domain managed to do this, but
could not ping that address from another PC.

Any ideas

It is quite possible ICMP packets are being blocked
by the XP workstation. What other problems besides
ping are you experiencing? Also can we assume the
domain join process works without an error?

"Raks" <Raks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
> I have a problem with a windows xp workstation running in a NT 4.0
Domain.

> When the PC is added to the domain, I can ping all addresses from the
PC
> itself, but when trying to ping that PC, to see if it is on the
domain, from
> another PC, I cannot ping the address, so:
>
> 1) I removed the workstation from the domain, but it is still listed.
So,
> even though it is removed from the domain, it is still listed in
Server
> Manager (workstation), So I tried the 2)
>
> 2) I removed the workstation from the domain from the PC, to
workgroup, and
> then tried to re-add the workstation to the domain managed to do this,
but
> could not ping that address from another PC.

I can access all network resources from the laptop (windows xp) machine, but
it cannot be accessed i.e. pinged from another workstation. It thinks it is
on the domain. I had no problems in joining the workstation onto the domain.

"Raks" wrote:

> I have a problem with a windows xp workstation running in a NT 4.0 Domain.
>
> When the PC is added to the domain, I can ping all addresses from the PC
> itself, but when trying to ping that PC, to see if it is on the domain, from
> another PC, I cannot ping the address, so:
>
> 1) I removed the workstation from the domain, but it is still listed. So,
> even though it is removed from the domain, it is still listed in Server
> Manager (workstation), So I tried the 2)
>
> 2) I removed the workstation from the domain from the PC, to workgroup, and
> then tried to re-add the workstation to the domain managed to do this, but
> could not ping that address from another PC.
>
> Any ideas

If it's running SP2 then make sure the firewall is set
to allow file and print sharing.