Power supply advice

Hi,

I need to purchase a new power supply since my last one went wrong. It needs
to be a minimum 400W. What would would people advise as a good one in the
£40-60 price range.

Thanks

In article <42fe681f$0$1296$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net>,
Chorlton says...
> Hi,
>
> I need to purchase a new power supply since my last one went wrong. It needs
> to be a minimum 400W. What would would people advise as a good one in the
> £40-60 price range.

Enermax.

--
Conor

If Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened
rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic
music.

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 22:37:35 +0100, "Chorlton" <a@a.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I need to purchase a new power supply since my last one went wrong. It needs
>to be a minimum 400W. What would would people advise as a good one in the
>£40-60 price range.

http://techreport.com/reviews/2004q4/psus/index.x?pg=1

Most of the powersupplies are out of your pricerange, but the Vantec
Ion 2 got a Silver Award although it's only 350W:

"Although the Ion 2 doesn't have the horsepower to handle systems like
our dual Opteron monster, this lightweight power supply is a heck of a
deal at $45. With cable sheathing throughout, low noise levels and
power consumption, and consistent performance on our Athlon 64 system,
it's easy to recommend the Ion 2 for less demanding systems with
limited budgets. Incredible value gets the Ion 2 an Editor's Choice
Silver."

If I were you I would spend a bit more on a better power supply like
Enermax as already suggested. A good stable powersupply is often
neglected in a system but can be very important to stability.

Chorlton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to purchase a new power supply since my last one went
> wrong. It needs to be a minimum 400W. What would would people
> advise as a good one in the £40-60 price range.

Fortron-Source PSUs are cheap but very good and are sold under several
brands, inclding Fortron, Sparkle, Powerman (some Powermans are now
made by another co.), Powertech, Trend, Hi-Q, and PowerQ.

Some other great makers are Zippy-Emacs, Lite-on, Delta, NMB-Mineba,
Wintact, PC Power & Cooling, and Channel Well Technology's A suffix
models (i.e., CWT-550 ADP, CWT-330ASP) but not their ATX suffix models.
The A suffix models are known more as Antec TruePowers.

Enermax isn't bad but isn't great. They're in the league of Sirtec
(Thermaltake, High Power, and several other brands) and Topower
(Vantec, but ToPower's OCZ and Tagen lines are better).

Thomas Jespersen wrote:

> http://techreport.com/reviews/2004q4/psus/index.x?pg=1

Do you really want to steer him to a misleading and inadeqate review
where the maximum load was probably just 300W? Real tests are done by:

www.3dvelocity.com
www.silentpcreview.com
www.tomshardware.com
www.xbitlabs.com
www.slcentral.com

Here's what really has to be done to test correctly:

www.xbitlabs.com/articles/other/display/psu-methodology.html

On 14 Aug 2005 04:30:55 -0700, "larry moe 'n curly"
<larrymoencurly@my-deja.com> wrote:

>Fortron-Source PSUs are cheap but very good and are sold under several
>brands, inclding Fortron, Sparkle, Powerman (some Powermans are now
>made by another co.), Powertech, Trend, Hi-Q, and PowerQ.
>
>Some other great makers are Zippy-Emacs, Lite-on, Delta, NMB-Mineba,
>Wintact, PC Power & Cooling, and Channel Well Technology's A suffix
>models (i.e., CWT-550 ADP, CWT-330ASP) but not their ATX suffix models.
>The A suffix models are known more as Antec TruePowers.
>
>Enermax isn't bad but isn't great. They're in the league of Sirtec
>(Thermaltake, High Power, and several other brands) and Topower
>(Vantec, but ToPower's OCZ and Tagen lines are better).

After reading this I would think twice about OCZ psu's. Maybe it was a
one-off.
http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/200507111/stresstest-04.html