Power supply advice

Hi,

I need to purchase a new power supply since my last one went wrong. It needs
to be a minimum 400W. What would would people advise as a good one in the
£40-60 price range.

Thanks
5 answers Last reply
More about power supply advice

    In article <42fe681f$0$1296$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net>,
    Chorlton says...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I need to purchase a new power supply since my last one went wrong. It needs
    > to be a minimum 400W. What would would people advise as a good one in the
    > £40-60 price range.

    Enermax.

    --
    Conor

    If Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened
    rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic
    music.

    On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 22:37:35 +0100, "Chorlton" <a@a.com> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I need to purchase a new power supply since my last one went wrong. It needs
    >to be a minimum 400W. What would would people advise as a good one in the
    >£40-60 price range.

    http://techreport.com/reviews/2004q4/psus/index.x?pg=1

    Most of the powersupplies are out of your pricerange, but the Vantec
    Ion 2 got a Silver Award although it's only 350W:

    "Although the Ion 2 doesn't have the horsepower to handle systems like
    our dual Opteron monster, this lightweight power supply is a heck of a
    deal at $45. With cable sheathing throughout, low noise levels and
    power consumption, and consistent performance on our Athlon 64 system,
    it's easy to recommend the Ion 2 for less demanding systems with
    limited budgets. Incredible value gets the Ion 2 an Editor's Choice
    Silver."

    If I were you I would spend a bit more on a better power supply like
    Enermax as already suggested. A good stable powersupply is often
    neglected in a system but can be very important to stability.

    Chorlton wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I need to purchase a new power supply since my last one went
    > wrong. It needs to be a minimum 400W. What would would people
    > advise as a good one in the £40-60 price range.

    Fortron-Source PSUs are cheap but very good and are sold under several
    brands, inclding Fortron, Sparkle, Powerman (some Powermans are now
    made by another co.), Powertech, Trend, Hi-Q, and PowerQ.

    Some other great makers are Zippy-Emacs, Lite-on, Delta, NMB-Mineba,
    Wintact, PC Power & Cooling, and Channel Well Technology's A suffix
    models (i.e., CWT-550 ADP, CWT-330ASP) but not their ATX suffix models.
    The A suffix models are known more as Antec TruePowers.

    Enermax isn't bad but isn't great. They're in the league of Sirtec
    (Thermaltake, High Power, and several other brands) and Topower
    (Vantec, but ToPower's OCZ and Tagen lines are better).

    Thomas Jespersen wrote:

    > http://techreport.com/reviews/2004q4/psus/index.x?pg=1

    Do you really want to steer him to a misleading and inadeqate review
    where the maximum load was probably just 300W? Real tests are done by:

    www.3dvelocity.com
    www.silentpcreview.com
    www.tomshardware.com
    www.xbitlabs.com
    www.slcentral.com

    Here's what really has to be done to test correctly:

    www.xbitlabs.com/articles/other/display/psu-methodology.html

    On 14 Aug 2005 04:30:55 -0700, "larry moe 'n curly"
    <larrymoencurly@my-deja.com> wrote:

    >Fortron-Source PSUs are cheap but very good and are sold under several
    >brands, inclding Fortron, Sparkle, Powerman (some Powermans are now
    >made by another co.), Powertech, Trend, Hi-Q, and PowerQ.
    >
    >Some other great makers are Zippy-Emacs, Lite-on, Delta, NMB-Mineba,
    >Wintact, PC Power & Cooling, and Channel Well Technology's A suffix
    >models (i.e., CWT-550 ADP, CWT-330ASP) but not their ATX suffix models.
    >The A suffix models are known more as Antec TruePowers.
    >
    >Enermax isn't bad but isn't great. They're in the league of Sirtec
    >(Thermaltake, High Power, and several other brands) and Topower
    >(Vantec, but ToPower's OCZ and Tagen lines are better).

    After reading this I would think twice about OCZ psu's. Maybe it was a
    one-off.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/200507111/stresstest-04.html

Homebuilt Hardware Power Supplies Systems