XP Home share on NT 4 server times out & hangs server

Setup:

Server: NT4 SP6a (PDC)

Client: XP home SP2 laptop

LAN: one AP/SSID; 802.11b; XP laptop has internal 802.11g adapter to
connect. No WEP/WPA enabled; MAC addrees whitelisting is in use.

I've setup the laptop to have a persistent drive mapped to share on
the file server. Since XP home doesn't do domains, its just a
workgroup share. The workgroup of the laptop is NOT the same as the
NT domain.

The mapped share mounts fine, but after X minutes (x=10 to 30) the
share drops away. Also, other users on the domain (member PCs running
Windows 2000 Pro SP4) find their mapped drives hang for a few minutes
until the PDC gets its act together again.

Has anyone seen this? Any tips or tricks appreciated.

Regards,
Acey

___________
The AceyMan
news<at>tjexpress<dot>net

Experience is a wonderful thing. It allows you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Can you be specific as to you what you mean by it drops
off? What happens if you attempt to map to the share
after it drops off or what specific error? How exactly
does the PDC gets it act together again? Sounds as if
the XP home is trying to take over the browse master.
If this is the case disable the computer browser service
on the XP home machine via services.