Gigabyte 81955x Pro can't use 56k PCI modem.....

I can't get either of my 56k PCI modems to fully connect to my ISP on the
Gigabyte 81955x Pro m/board. They're fine on any other board.

When I dial it's ok, then it takes forever to handshake and emits a sqeal
for about 30 seconds (much longer than normal), then after it's verified
username and password (which also takes far longer than normal) it quits
before authentication and says it can't communicate with the server.

First thing I did was change PCI slots, but no change. The error details
aren't any help and troubleshooting wizard is useless because essentially
the modems work, but not satisfactorily.

If anyone has the same problem or can offer a solution I'd love to hear from
you. Gigabyte haven't been much help.

DebB

JohnS

I'm betting that is a driver issue for this new mobo. The 955x mobo is
too
new, and drivers are probably late in coming.

johns

It's worth mentioning that I also tried the latest generic drivers for the
modem, rebooted, but still the same result.

I'm thinking the firmware for the mobo needs an update, but wanted to see if
anyone else has a similar issue.

DebB

"DebB" <nospam@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> It's worth mentioning that I also tried the latest generic drivers for the
> modem, rebooted, but still the same result.
>
> I'm thinking the firmware for the mobo needs an update, but wanted to see
> if anyone else has a similar issue.
>
> DebB
>
> "johns" <johns123@moscow.com> wrote in message
>> I'm betting that is a driver issue for this new mobo. The 955x mobo is
>> too
>> new, and drivers are probably late in coming.
>>
>> johns

Possibly the mobo is sharing IRQ's with the modem and something else.

Might try disabling built in serial ports and see if that helps as well.