domain within the company.

Three of the systems came with the following OSes:
-----------------------------------
#1) Win NT Wkstn v4.0, SP 6
#2) Win 2000 Pro, SP 4
#3) Win XP Pro, SP2

Once the three systems were up and running (they had admin passwords or
domain passwords that had to be by-passed), they were able to, individually,
connect to the internet (dsl, with router), but I could not get them to share
resources. ... #1 & #2 could see/share with one another, but not with #3 ...
go figure!

A solution, so I thought, would be to upgrade the two non-XPs to XP Pro.
Subsequently, two copies of Windows XP Pro (*OEM* not upgrade!) were
purchased via eBay. - Yeah, I know, they should have purchased the upgrade
and not the full version. Let's not dwell on that error at this point. 8-/

Two of the (above) three systems (#1 & #2) have had XP Pro fully installed.

The three systems now 'look' like this:
1) Dual boots to Win XP Pro, SP2 and Win NT Wkstn v4.0, SP 6
2) Dual boots to Win XP Pro, SP2 and Win 2000 Pro, SP4
3) Win XP Pro, SP2

Now all three can share files & a printer between them.

sigh ....

Now ... all software originally installed on systems #1 & #2 can only be
accessed if they are booted (or rebooted) into their original OS (Win NT
Wkstn & Win 2000 Pro, respectively)

QUESTION:
--------------

What should be done at this point to get all three systems to be networked,
and still have all of them being able to use the originally installed
software (again: there are no CDs for the original s/w, no serial numbers,
nothing! If/when the HDDs go bad, or if/when the s/w is uninstalled, the
business must purchase the s/w CDs anew)

Is it worth it to move to XP as the common OS?

Should the move be an upgrade or full install?

Is there a way to make use of the NT, 2000 (and any other OS? I have not
checked the current OS of the other 2 (3?) computers purchased at the
auction)?

I think there is a learning curve about this networking I am investigating
here (vs the home networking of W98, WXP, etc) and I sure hope I'm not about
to run into a 90-degree curve!

Oh, by the way, does anyone know what legal (illegal?) issues are involved
in using software which is already on a computer when purchased through an
auction (if the CDs and Proof of Ownership, etc are not there)?

Any and all help/feedback are more than welcome!

thanks!

"Tony"

In news:94FB6232-5F6A-4012-B71D-BE2E17E870C8@microsoft.com,
Paisano Tony" <"Paisano Tony <"Paisano Tony"@discussions.microsoft.com>
commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> I am trying to set up a small business network (for
> someone) and need advice on best practice(s) for doing
> so. I'll present a bit of history about the computers,
> what OSes are present, what the current network set-up
> is, and then shout a GIANT cry for H-E-L-P !!!! ...
> thanks! =;-)
>
> Some History about the computers:
> Several (5?) 'boxes' were purchased at an auction.
> No keyboards or monitors came with them.
> No CDs for the originally installed OSes & software
> (e.g., MS Office, Access, Publisher, etc etc)
> Some (3 or 4) belonged to one company and more than
> likely were on the same domain within the company.
>
> Three of the systems came with the following OSes:
> -----------------------------------
> #1) Win NT Wkstn v4.0, SP 6
> #2) Win 2000 Pro, SP 4
> #3) Win XP Pro, SP2
>
> Once the three systems were up and running (they had
> admin passwords or domain passwords that had to be
> by-passed), they were able to, individually, connect to
> the internet (dsl, with router), but I could not get them
> to share resources. ... #1 & #2 could see/share with one
> another, but not with #3 ... go figure!
>
> A solution, so I thought, would be to upgrade the two
> non-XPs to XP Pro. Subsequently, two copies of Windows XP
> Pro (*OEM* not upgrade!) were purchased via eBay. - Yeah,
> I know, they should have purchased the upgrade and not
> the full version. Let's not dwell on that error at this
> point. 8-/
>
> Two of the (above) three systems (#1 & #2) have had XP
> Pro fully installed.
>
> The three systems now 'look' like this:
> 1) Dual boots to Win XP Pro, SP2 and Win NT Wkstn v4.0,
> SP 6 2) Dual boots to Win XP Pro, SP2 and Win 2000 Pro,
> SP4 3) Win XP Pro, SP2
>
> Now all three can share files & a printer between them.
>
> sigh ....
>
> Now ... all software originally installed on systems #1 &
> #2 can only be accessed if they are booted (or rebooted)
> into their original OS (Win NT Wkstn & Win 2000 Pro,
> respectively)
>
> QUESTION:
> --------------
>
> What should be done at this point to get all three
> systems to be networked, and still have all of them being
> able to use the originally installed software (again:
> there are no CDs for the original s/w, no serial numbers,
> nothing! If/when the HDDs go bad, or if/when the s/w is
> uninstalled, the business must purchase the s/w CDs anew)

Boot in to the original OS, and run setup as an upgrade.

> Is it worth it to move to XP as the common OS?

Yes.

> Should the move be an upgrade or full install?

Clean full instal is usually a better choice, you shouldn't have to
reinstall most programs.

> Is there a way to make use of the NT, 2000 (and any other
> OS? I have not checked the current OS of the other 2 (3?)
> computers purchased at the auction)?
>
> I think there is a learning curve about this networking I
> am investigating here (vs the home networking of W98,
> WXP, etc) and I sure hope I'm not about to run into a
> 90-degree curve!
>
> Oh, by the way, does anyone know what legal (illegal?)
> issues are involved in using software which is already on
> a computer when purchased through an auction (if the CDs
> and Proof of Ownership, etc are not there)?

There is always legal issues when using any software, you must have a valid
license. Microsoft has a new program for if you have purchased through legal
sources, and can provide proof that you purchased your software, they are
offering licenses at no cost. All you need to do is provide Microsoft with
name and address of the illegal seller. There may be other restrictions, I'm
sure.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]