Basic Networking Problems

Kurt

Hi, I have 3 computers, all running XP Professional.
2 are PCs, 1 is a laptop
The 2 PCs connect to the internet via a router.
Basically I want to network 1 of the pcs to the laptop.
So that means, 1 pc and the laptop connect to a switch, the switch connects
to the router, and the other comp connects just to the router. This other
comp I dont want to be part of the network. I just want the laptop to be able
to share files and get access to the printer connected to 1 of my comps. I
run network set-up on the comp, it creates a workgroup, i then do the same to
the laptop. using the same name for the workgroup of course. the laptop can
connect to the internet so the connections are working. The problem is, is
that wen i like 'look' for other computers on the network nothing is found,
wen it should be finding a laptop. I notice sometimes wen i run the network
set-up and its finished. a workgroup doesnt appear, nothing changes in other
words.
Thanks if ne1 can help.

Check for any firewalls. If you have norton\mcafee you will have to go to
msconfig and disable them temporarily. You may something like script
blocking services, password and validation or something of that nature
running. Once they are disabled check to see if you the computers on the
network if so that is your problem.

"Kurt" wrote:

> Hi, I have 3 computers, all running XP Professional.
> 2 are PCs, 1 is a laptop
> The 2 PCs connect to the internet via a router.
> Basically I want to network 1 of the pcs to the laptop.
> So that means, 1 pc and the laptop connect to a switch, the switch connects
> to the router, and the other comp connects just to the router. This other
> comp I dont want to be part of the network. I just want the laptop to be able
> to share files and get access to the printer connected to 1 of my comps. I
> run network set-up on the comp, it creates a workgroup, i then do the same to
> the laptop. using the same name for the workgroup of course. the laptop can
> connect to the internet so the connections are working. The problem is, is
> that wen i like 'look' for other computers on the network nothing is found,
> wen it should be finding a laptop. I notice sometimes wen i run the network
> set-up and its finished. a workgroup doesnt appear, nothing changes in other
> words.
> Thanks if ne1 can help.

Hi

Please try Networking News Group: