promoting a NT 4.0 Server to a Domain Controller

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
December 21, 2004 8:19:15 AM

What is the best way to do this? I have read some innteresting stories about
DCPROMO but I have never used it.
Anonymous
December 21, 2004 11:42:15 AM

Assuming the NT server is a BDC or backup domain controller
you can open server manager and highlight the server then click
on computer / promote to primary. This will automatically demote
the PDC to BDC as well. Now if the server is not a DC then you
should reinstall NT and choose BDC during the install process then
promote it once the installation is complete. There are third party
alternatives e.g., u-promote.

As for DCPROMO, it is W2k specific and no use to NT 4.0.

"maxdorff" <maxdorff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
> What is the best way to do this? I have read some innteresting stories
about
> DCPROMO but I have never used it.
Anonymous
December 21, 2004 11:31:23 PM

In news:4B5B7E00-E848-43BC-BACF-146677F3848C@microsoft.com,
maxdorff <maxdorff@discussions.microsoft.com> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> What is the best way to do this? I have read some
> innteresting stories about DCPROMO but I have never used
> it.

In NT4 this is only done at OS install. DCPROMO is an Active Directory
command.
You can upgrade to Win2k or Win2k3, then promote it to a Domain Controller
using the DCPROMO command. This will convert all the NT4 local accounts to
domain accounts.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]