My System!

This Is My System:

P2 350mhz (will be 500mhzin month or so )
320mb Ram (128x2 + 64x1)
(This is funny) 4mb graphics card (64mb is bought and will be
installed soon)
Win XP

I have previously used my parents computer for my games, but I bought
my own for $150 AUD(about 80 US). I am annoyed because I will have to
buy a new motherboard to upgrade my Cpu, which may mean i will lose my
third ram slot. any suggestions on what i Should upgrade my system to?
I am willing to spend about $375US on my upgrade.

Hmm.. well going from a p2 to p4 or AMD Athlon XP would be a massive
change..

Cost wise, AMD is cheaper than intel without any power loss..

What are you looking to do? what games? 375$ will get you a decent
amount of upgrades now and you can get slowly better and better with a
great starting MB and the smallest CPU it can handle. (gives room to
upgrade later and not break the bank then too)

My Recommendations without knowing futher needs:
CPU -
AMD Sempron (massive power boost over a p2, faster than a celeron but a
bit weaker than the Athlons and P4s, but great prices for them)
anywhere from 50-100$ depending on the speed you want. (at 100$ you
might as well get an Athlon XP for the same price) dont spend over
60-70 for it unless you cannot find an Athlon for the same price.

BTW the Sempron 3100+ is a differnt size chip from what i've read.. so
it will require different boards that the others couldn't use.. Namely
AMD64 Boards...

For Motherboard:
Asus A7N8X-X - Great board, supports both semprons and Athlons, Very
flexable. Has possible powers for SATA Hard-Drives, NForce2 Chipset
(there is an Asus board with built-in graphics too but ads to cost and
you can get better through add-ons.) able to handle up to 3Gb of ram
and a bit more... about 80$..

http://usa.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=A7N8X-X&langs=09
Also on Asus' website look at the other Sempron supported boards they
make and work from there.. if you got with on-board video stick to
Nforce boards then as they are Nvidia Geforce based graphic chips, I
never had much luck with the VIA onboard or any others for that
matter.. if your not worried about onboard graphics or any other
on-board stuff.. VIA makes a great Chipset.

Lemme know what your leanin towards and how your thinking about setting
up the system for.

You're kidding right?I'd be very surprized if the video card works on your
system at all. New mobo/cpu will also need new ram. I guess you could get
one of the combo's(mb,cpu,ram) listed at pricewatch.com. Saw one that had
the A64 3500+,motherboard,256MB PC3200 for $325. More ram is must these days
though.512MB at least.

"Sparex" <Spare.parts cox.net> wrote:

> What are you looking to do? what games? 375$ will get you a
> decent amount of upgrades now and you can get slowly better and
> better with a great starting MB and the smallest CPU it can
> handle. (gives room to upgrade later and not break the bank then
> too)

I would agree with that if mainboards weren't cheaper than CPUs.

And you may as well have the same number of CPUs as mainboards.

I like the idea of a good-quality mainboard but not for a
potential CPU upgrade.

> BTW the Sempron 3100+ is a differnt size chip from what i've
> read.. so it will require different boards that the others
> couldn't use.. Namely AMD64 Boards...

Usually the AMD CPU requires/specifies a certain socket type
mainboard which is not according to chip size. In other words,
probably at least 99% of the time you only need to know the socket
type.

> From: "Sparex" <Spare.parts@cox.net>
> Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
> Subject: Re: My System!
> Date: 17 Aug 2005 07:35:10 -0700

Aye, that is a good point, but to someone on a budget and looking to do
future upgrades its not a bad idea.. also if you save a bit on the CPU
and mess up the install and eventually fry it, you didn't blow alot of
cash just to get a funny lookin paperweight. Ideally, yeah one CPU per
board, but if you cannot afford both new, at least you can get a small
upgrade at first and work your budget for another later.. Also, Alot of
computer stores in my area have a 7 day return policy on CPUs, online
is much better to get a CPU due to better return time frame, problem is
online sites can refuse a return easier if it has a visable issue and
looks like it was improperly installed.

And I know that AMDs commonly specify socket type but its simple to
think that the same name processor will use the same socket throughout
the series which is commonly true for the most part.. and currently
there is only one sempron that uses the different socket to just wanted
to toss out the warning in advance.

"" wrote:
> This Is My System:
>
> P2 350mhz (will be 500mhzin month or so )
> 320mb Ram (128x2 + 64x1)
> (This is funny) 4mb graphics card (64mb is bought and will be
> installed soon)
> Win XP
>

> I have previously used my parents computer for my games, but I
> bought
> my own for $150 AUD(about 80 US). I am annoyed because I will
> have to
> buy a new motherboard to upgrade my Cpu, which may mean i will
> lose my
> third ram slot. any suggestions on what i Should upgrade my
> system to?
> I am willing to spend about $375US on my upgrade.

If I could not afford new I would buy a used 478 socket Pentium 4
system.
As always with computers, once the new models are released the IT
world want us to think the new one is breaking new ground and therfore
even a 1 year old computer is lucky to be worth half of the original
cost.
I wonder how much you can buy a used P4 3G or even 3.2G for?

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Home-Built-System-ftopict60637.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=306306

lionfan wrote:

> This Is My System:
>
> P2 350mhz (will be 500mhzin month or so )
> 320mb Ram (128x2 + 64x1)
> (This is funny) 4mb graphics card (64mb is bought and will be
> installed soon)

I hope you checked what the AGP slot is because a new video card is
unlikely to work in that old a motherboard.

> Win XP
>

> I have previously used my parents computer for my games, but I bought
> my own for $150 AUD(about 80 US). I am annoyed because I will have to
> buy a new motherboard to upgrade my Cpu, which may mean i will lose my
> third ram slot. any suggestions on what i Should upgrade my system to?
> I am willing to spend about $375US on my upgrade.

If you upgrade the motherboard and CPU to anything relatively new then you
won't be able to reuse any of your existing RAM anyway so the number of
slots becomes a moot issue.

You'll need a new power supply as well.

If you want to save money you need to decide just how 'powerful' it needs
to be and see if you can use an older upgrade, like to a P-III or an early
Athlon.

"" wrote:
> This Is My System:
>
> P2 350mhz (will be 500mhzin month or so )
> 320mb Ram (128x2 + 64x1)
> (This is funny) 4mb graphics card (64mb is bought and will be
> installed soon)
> Win XP
>

> I have previously used my parents computer for my games, but I
> bought
> my own for $150 AUD(about 80 US). I am annoyed because I will
> have to
> buy a new motherboard to upgrade my Cpu, which may mean i will
> lose my
> third ram slot. any suggestions on what i Should upgrade my
> system to?
> I am willing to spend about $375US on my upgrade.

Lionfan , in Australia a Pentium 3 , 733mhz with 512Mb of ram is lucky
to be worth $100 .That’s the reason I’ve kep’t it. It’s not worth
selling. If I had a budget of $375 and either a brand new AMD 64 or P4
was out of reach I would buy a used P4 system. I am a hypocrit because
both new systems I have are AMD 64 3500’s with Asus A8V Deluxe
motherboards.
I would not be upset at all to have the 2 P4 3.2G’s back. The AMD 64’s
are faster with some applications but not when it comes to video
editing.
Compared to a P2 a P4 3G would be like a space ship.
I’ve never liked used AMD chips, I thought that the 64-bit chips
had become as tough as boot leather when it comes to temps and
reliability, unfortunately the life of AMD chips still seems shorter
than P4’s.
The AMD 64 systems still have little things not sorted out and if you
are a student on a budget and once the $375 is spent you have no more
then the P4 is the safe bet.

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Home-Built-System-ftopict60637.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=306983