NT to 2003

The MS Article Q326209 describes how to upgrade a new NT
4.0 install to 2003 Server. I need to upgrade my NT PDC to
a 2003 AD domain. I have followed the steps outlined in
this article (in a test environment) and found it to work
succesfully. The problem is that I have a new server that
I want to deploy, and because I have to initially install
NT 4.0 and promote this new box to the PDC I am restriced
to the 4.0GB NT system partition. Any idea how to overcome
this? Would it be acceptable to resize the partition once
I have installed 2003 over NT?

Thanks!

Put the drive in another system first and set the partitions how you like
then take it out and put back into original system and install NT.

--
Scott Harding
MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+
"ScottM" <scottm@eta-utah.com> wrote in message
> The MS Article Q326209 describes how to upgrade a new NT
> 4.0 install to 2003 Server. I need to upgrade my NT PDC to
> a 2003 AD domain. I have followed the steps outlined in
> this article (in a test environment) and found it to work
> succesfully. The problem is that I have a new server that
> I want to deploy, and because I have to initially install
> NT 4.0 and promote this new box to the PDC I am restriced
> to the 4.0GB NT system partition. Any idea how to overcome
> this? Would it be acceptable to resize the partition once
> I have installed 2003 over NT?
>
> Thanks!

I was looking into doing this, but the problem is that
it's SCSI Raid 5, and I don't have the hardware to perform
this elsewhere. Also, I noticed a KB article that mentions
that partitions larger than 7.9 will fail to boot.

If this is hardware RAID then you can typically setup the partitions in the
RAID hardware setup. The 7.8 GB limit will typically not come into play
until after the system has been running and you perform a defrag or
something like that. I would suspect that you can use the hardware RAID
setup to create the partition at the size you want and then intall NT and
then do the upgrade to Win2k w/o running into the 7.8 GB issue. Also if you
do, you can just create a NT boot disk to boot the system even if it is
experiencing the 7.8 problem. Windows 2k does not this partition limit.