AGP Video Card question

This is probably an elementary question but I was hoping someone could
clarify something. I am looking to upgrade the video card in my Dell
PC. From Dell's website I was able to determine my AGP bus protocol is
2x/4x. I currently have an NVIDIA 64MB GeForce4 MX 420 adapter
installed.

When I am shopping for new adapaters the AGP cards appear to be
categorized into two groups, 2X/4X and 4X/8X. My question is can I
install a video card that supports the 4X and 8X protocols? I
understand I won't be able to take advantage of the higher performance
but am interested in the higher memory and multiple connectors, VGA and
DVI.

I am hoping to connect two monitors to the same computer. Any
assistance would be appreciated.

What you will need to know is if your Motherboard's AGP slot is an
older 3.3V slot or the newer 1.5 or Universal AGP.

some manuals will tell you..
Here is an image link for what the different slots look like.

http://www.informit.com/content/images/chap13_073571360x/elementLinks/13fig03.jpg

To answer your question, commonly if its 2x/4x built in and the slot is
3.3v you'll need to find a 2x/4x that will fit. if its 2x/4x built-in
and is a 1.5v or a universal slot, then you can get a 4x/8x card and it
will just downclock to the current bus speed.

good luck in your hunt, if ya reply and tell me what slot type you have
I can help further by looking up some good cards for you to use..

Not all Cards are created the same, keep that in mind..

Thanks for the information. According to the documentation on Dell's
site the AGP port is 1.5v and they are recommending the Radeon 9700
Pro.

I am not a PC Gamer and but am more interested in the ability to use
the VGA and DVI port at the same time. I'm sure the ATI 9800 Pro 128
Megabyte is overkill but it looks like I can get it at NewEgg for $139.

Thanks again for the information.

"Adman" <ad_man620@yahoo.com> wrote:

> When I am shopping for new adapaters the AGP cards appear to be
> categorized into two groups, 2X/4X and 4X/8X. My question is
> can I install a video card that supports the 4X and 8X
> protocols? I understand I won't be able to take advantage of
> the higher performance but am interested in the higher memory
> and multiple connectors, VGA and DVI.

I think so, but I would not go hog wild on a new AGP video card
because your next (PCI Express) mainboard probably won't accept
it.

Unless you're a gamer or graphic artist, most modern video cards
will suffice.

> I am hoping to connect two monitors to the same computer.

Dual monitors are great, in my opinion, especially when you want
to get things done or are very interested in using your computer.
I have been using them since Windows 98. Make sure the video card
includes the correct number of DVI to AGP adapters if you need
them (two if the card has two DVI outputs).

Good luck. Please feel free to let us know how your experience goes.

Adman wrote:

> This is probably an elementary question but I was hoping someone could
> clarify something. I am looking to upgrade the video card in my Dell
> PC. From Dell's website I was able to determine my AGP bus protocol is
> 2x/4x. I currently have an NVIDIA 64MB GeForce4 MX 420 adapter
> installed.
>
> When I am shopping for new adapaters the AGP cards appear to be
> categorized into two groups, 2X/4X and 4X/8X. My question is can I
> install a video card that supports the 4X and 8X protocols? I
> understand I won't be able to take advantage of the higher performance
> but am interested in the higher memory and multiple connectors, VGA and
> DVI.

As long as the card specifically says it supports 4x, I.E. 4x or 4x/8x,
then it'll work if your board is, indeed, 2x/4x. It'll operate 4x.

A 4x card will not work in a 2x only motherboard and an 8x only card will
not work in a 2x, or 4x only motherboard.

Listing two speeds means it'll operate in either.

Sparex wrote:

> What you will need to know is if your Motherboard's AGP slot is an
> older 3.3V slot or the newer 1.5 or Universal AGP.
>
> some manuals will tell you..
> Here is an image link for what the different slots look like.
>
> http://www.informit.com/content/images/chap13_073571360x/elementLinks/13fig03.jpg
>
> To answer your question, commonly if its 2x/4x built in and the slot is
> 3.3v

4x is 1.5 volt.

> you'll need to find a 2x/4x that will fit. if its 2x/4x built-in
> and is a 1.5v or a universal slot, then you can get a 4x/8x card and it
> will just downclock to the current bus speed.

> good luck in your hunt, if ya reply and tell me what slot type you have
> I can help further by looking up some good cards for you to use..
>
> Not all Cards are created the same, keep that in mind..

Sparex and David, Thank you for your responses. I appreciate it. I
think I'm going to purchase the ATI 9800 Pro. My last concern is that
I've read in some of the groups that people have had issues installing
an ATI card when a Nvidia card is installed.

>From what I have read it seems the two drivers don't work well with
each other. Have either of you had any experience with this,
installing an ATI with a Nvidia card and drivers already installed?