Recovering a NT4 PDC onto different hardware platform, no ..

I would like some assistance with the restoring of a NT4 PDC from backup tape
using Backup Exec 8.6. This procedure is for Disaster Recovery Documentation
purposes in an event everything is destroyed except the backup tapes.
Bear in mind that the the server platforms will be different, the currently
installed server being an Intel T440GX and the platform used for recovery an
Intel STL2 or L440GX. Both these platforms are perfectly capable of running
NT4 Server, this is confirmed as I have tested this.
I get as far as installing NT4 Server with SP6a onto the Intel L440GX as
well as Backup Exec 8.6 and then restoring the data from the backup tape.
After this restore is complete and I restart the server it is unable to
detect the boot devices (blue screen, inaccessible boot device
STOP:0x0000007B).
There is no BDC or ERD to fall back onto. Also, only the following is being
backed up to tape:-
C:\Program Files
C:\Winnt
boot.ini
ntldr
ntdetect.com
ntbootdd.sys
AND Data.
Any suggestions as to how I can go about successfully recovering this server
would be appreciated.

Copy the contents of the C:\winnt\system32\config directory to
a disk. Next install NT on the new machine and choose PDC with
the same computer name and domain name. After the install rerun
the install process and choose the repair with SAM option.

"Rushdi" <Rushdi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
> I would like some assistance with the restoring of a NT4 PDC from
backup tape
> using Backup Exec 8.6. This procedure is for Disaster Recovery
Documentation
> purposes in an event everything is destroyed except the backup tapes.
> Bear in mind that the the server platforms will be different, the
currently
> installed server being an Intel T440GX and the platform used for
recovery an
> Intel STL2 or L440GX. Both these platforms are perfectly capable of
running
> NT4 Server, this is confirmed as I have tested this.
> I get as far as installing NT4 Server with SP6a onto the Intel L440GX
as
> well as Backup Exec 8.6 and then restoring the data from the backup
tape.
> After this restore is complete and I restart the server it is unable
> detect the boot devices (blue screen, inaccessible boot device
> STOP:0x0000007B).
> There is no BDC or ERD to fall back onto. Also, only the following is
being
> backed up to tape:-
> C:\Program Files
> C:\Winnt
> boot.ini
> ntldr
> ntdetect.com
> ntbootdd.sys
> AND Data.
> Any suggestions as to how I can go about successfully recovering this
server
> would be appreciated.

Thanks for the response.
In order to do the re-installation after the initial load of NT4 on
different hardware as you stated, using the repair with SAM option do I not
require an ERD. What will I be doing with C:\winnt\system32\config directory?

Thanks.

"Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" wrote:

> Copy the contents of the C:\winnt\system32\config directory to
> a disk. Next install NT on the new machine and choose PDC with
> the same computer name and domain name. After the install rerun
> the install process and choose the repair with SAM option.
>
> "Rushdi" <Rushdi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
> > I would like some assistance with the restoring of a NT4 PDC from
> backup tape
> > using Backup Exec 8.6. This procedure is for Disaster Recovery
> Documentation
> > purposes in an event everything is destroyed except the backup tapes.
> > Bear in mind that the the server platforms will be different, the
> currently
> > installed server being an Intel T440GX and the platform used for
> recovery an
> > Intel STL2 or L440GX. Both these platforms are perfectly capable of
> running
> > NT4 Server, this is confirmed as I have tested this.
> > I get as far as installing NT4 Server with SP6a onto the Intel L440GX
> as
> > well as Backup Exec 8.6 and then restoring the data from the backup
> tape.
> > After this restore is complete and I restart the server it is unable
> > detect the boot devices (blue screen, inaccessible boot device
> > STOP:0x0000007B).
> > There is no BDC or ERD to fall back onto. Also, only the following is
> being
> > backed up to tape:-
> > C:\Program Files
> > C:\Winnt
> > boot.ini
> > ntldr
> > ntdetect.com
> > ntbootdd.sys
> > AND Data.
> > Any suggestions as to how I can go about successfully recovering this
> server
> > would be appreciated.

The ERD is a copy of the config directory.