Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Upgraded PDC

Tags:
  • Domain
  • Workstations
  • Domain Controller
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
January 3, 2005 7:25:16 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

I did a Upgrade install of my NT 4.0 PDC to 2003 and
performed the AD install. The computer and user accounts
were successfully transfered (from NT domain), the problem
is that the client workstations cannot login into the
domain unless I remove them from the domain (to
workgroup), and then readd them to the domain.
The clients that have not been readded have the following
error:

Windows cannot connect to the domain either because the
domain controller is down or otherwise unavailable

I have about 200 clients, and don't want to have to
manually remove and then add each workstation. Does anyone
know why the AD domain controller won't authenticate
without readding the workstations?

More about : upgraded pdc

Anonymous
January 4, 2005 1:46:42 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

The clients are running NT, W2k, XP or a mix?
If the clients are W2k or higher than DNS is the
issue. If the clients are NT or Win 9x then you
may want to look into WINS. Why exactly the
clients can find the domain after being removed
from the domain is a mystery. Perhaps a reboot
of the client machines refreshes the DNS or Netbios
cache?
"Scott" <scottm@eta-utah.com> wrote in message news:
> I did a Upgrade install of my NT 4.0 PDC to 2003 and
> performed the AD install. The computer and user accounts
> were successfully transfered (from NT domain), the problem
> is that the client workstations cannot login into the
> domain unless I remove them from the domain (to
> workgroup), and then readd them to the domain.
> The clients that have not been readded have the following
> error:
>
> Windows cannot connect to the domain either because the
> domain controller is down or otherwise unavailable
>
> I have about 200 clients, and don't want to have to
> manually remove and then add each workstation. Does anyone
> know why the AD domain controller won't authenticate
> without readding the workstations?
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 1:46:43 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

Michael,

Thanks for the response, and sorry for the lack of info.
The clients are XP machines, and if I logon to one of the
clients as the local admin (just to get into XP) they can
resolve the DNS names of the AD PDC and other clients, so
I don't think it is a DNS issue. I did try to reboot the
PDC and the clients...hope this info helps.

>-----Original Message-----
>The clients are running NT, W2k, XP or a mix?
>If the clients are W2k or higher than DNS is the
>issue. If the clients are NT or Win 9x then you
>may want to look into WINS. Why exactly the
>clients can find the domain after being removed
>from the domain is a mystery. Perhaps a reboot
>of the client machines refreshes the DNS or Netbios
>cache?
>"Scott" <scottm@eta-utah.com> wrote in message news:
>> I did a Upgrade install of my NT 4.0 PDC to 2003 and
>> performed the AD install. The computer and user
accounts
>> were successfully transfered (from NT domain), the
problem
>> is that the client workstations cannot login into the
>> domain unless I remove them from the domain (to
>> workgroup), and then readd them to the domain.
>> The clients that have not been readded have the
following
>> error:
>>
>> Windows cannot connect to the domain either because the
>> domain controller is down or otherwise unavailable
>>
>> I have about 200 clients, and don't want to have to
>> manually remove and then add each workstation. Does
anyone
>> know why the AD domain controller won't authenticate
>> without readding the workstations?
>
>
>.
>
Related resources
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 12:01:16 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

The problem is that the error is pretty specific: It means the
client cannot find a DC for your domain. When the error
occurs open a dos prompt and run nslookup www.yourdomain.com;
what's the result? Now attempt to map to a share on the DC;
were you successful?


"ScottM" <scottm@eta-utah.com> wrote in message news:
>
> Thanks for the response, and sorry for the lack of info.
> The clients are XP machines, and if I logon to one of the
> clients as the local admin (just to get into XP) they can
> resolve the DNS names of the AD PDC and other clients, so
> I don't think it is a DNS issue. I did try to reboot the
> PDC and the clients...hope this info helps.
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 12:53:18 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

In news:0ded01c4f278$7ab7ce00$a501280a@phx.gbl,
ScottM <scottm@eta-utah.com> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> Michael,
>
> Thanks for the response, and sorry for the lack of info.
> The clients are XP machines, and if I logon to one of the
> clients as the local admin (just to get into XP) they can
> resolve the DNS names of the AD PDC and other clients, so
> I don't think it is a DNS issue. I did try to reboot the
> PDC and the clients...hope this info helps.

This is almost surely DNS, DNS is how Win2k and later find Win2k and later
Domain controllers. Make suire the DC points to its own address for DNS only
and all clients point to the DC for DNS only.
825036 - Best practices for DNS client settings in Windows 2000 Server and
in Windows Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;825036&sd=RMVP

If you still have problems post the ipconfig /all from the DC, the AD domain
name from ADUC and the list of forward lookup zones in DNS. All three of
these are necessary for proper diagnosis of AD domains, so please post all
three items I asked for.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
===================================
When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group"
via your newsreader so that others may learn and
benefit from your issue, to respond directly to
me remove the nospam. from my email address.
===================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
===================================
Use Outlook Express?... Get OE_Quotefix:
It will strip signature out and more
http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/
===================================
Keep a back up of your OE settings and folders
with OEBackup:
http://www.oehelp.com/OEBackup/Default.aspx
===================================
!