Wireless not letting Application to install

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
August 5, 2005 1:03:17 PM

I have a Wireless infrastructure and have setup group policies to install
applications. The Hard Wired side works fine but the Wireless tells me that
it cannot contact the domain controller to install the Policy. Is there
some slow link detection that I need to set up in my GPO to solve this
problem? And if there is where and how should it be done? Any ideas would
be a great help.

James Robertson
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 7, 2005 6:07:48 AM

"James Robetson" <jrobertson@calaveras.k12.ca.us> wrote in message news:ut6ujcdmFHA.3120@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>I have a Wireless infrastructure and have setup group policies to install applications. The Hard Wired side works fine but the
>Wireless tells me that it cannot contact the domain controller to install the Policy. Is there some slow link detection that I
>need to set up in my GPO to solve this problem? And if there is where and how should it be done? Any ideas would be a great
>help.

Yes there was one well known issue with applying policies over WLAN.
(I don't know the current state of this post SP2)
The problem was that there is only a short time window when a machine can pull the
policy from domain - something about 2 seconds. This is often not enough for WLAN.
The link speed by itself is not a problem (though if it is below certain limit, the 2 sec.
timeout can hit even a wired network)

--PA
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 8, 2005 1:45:59 PM

OK so is there a way to increase that time window to allow this to function
correctly over the WLAN?

James

"Pavel A." <pavel_a@NOwritemeNO.com> wrote in message
> "James Robetson" <jrobertson@calaveras.k12.ca.us> wrote in message
>>I have a Wireless infrastructure and have setup group policies to install
>>applications. The Hard Wired side works fine but the Wireless tells me
>>that it cannot contact the domain controller to install the Policy. Is
>>there some slow link detection that I need to set up in my GPO to solve
>>this problem? And if there is where and how should it be done? Any ideas
>>would be a great help.
>
> Yes there was one well known issue with applying policies over WLAN.
> (I don't know the current state of this post SP2)
> The problem was that there is only a short time window when a machine can
> pull the
> policy from domain - something about 2 seconds. This is often not enough
> for WLAN.
> The link speed by itself is not a problem (though if it is below certain
> limit, the 2 sec.
> timeout can hit even a wired network)
>
> --PA

a b F Wireless
August 8, 2005 3:31:32 PM

"James Robetson" wrote:
> OK so is there a way to increase that time window to allow this to function
> correctly over the WLAN?

From what I've heard for XP, this timeout is hardcoded and no known fix
exists.

Regards,
--PA

> "Pavel A." <pavel_a@NOwritemeNO.com> wrote in message
> > "James Robetson" <jrobertson@calaveras.k12.ca.us> wrote in message
> >>I have a Wireless infrastructure and have setup group policies to install
> >>applications. The Hard Wired side works fine but the Wireless tells me
> >>that it cannot contact the domain controller to install the Policy. Is
> >>there some slow link detection that I need to set up in my GPO to solve
> >>this problem? And if there is where and how should it be done? Any ideas
> >>would be a great help.
> >
> > Yes there was one well known issue with applying policies over WLAN.
> > (I don't know the current state of this post SP2)
> > The problem was that there is only a short time window when a machine can
> > pull the
> > policy from domain - something about 2 seconds. This is often not enough
> > for WLAN.
> > The link speed by itself is not a problem (though if it is below certain
> > limit, the 2 sec.
> > timeout can hit even a wired network)
> >
> > --PA

Anonymous